Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INTJ's (and NT's in general) are supposedly future-oriented - probably more so Te and Ni users because of how those functions work. But I find when it comes to more, I guess Se/sense-related things, I prefer not to do anything too "creative" with it. It seems like over-complicating something that should be kept as simple as possible. For example, I find it odd to combine modern technology with romance. The two things are totally unrelated. Isn't the dating scene already contrived enough when it's practiced face to face? Adding computers is only going to make everything more robotic, it seems. So, I don't understand dating apps and have no interest in them.

Another technology example - I don't like overly techie music, can't take it seriously. Some of it sounds ridiculous. The middle ages had cooler music.

I roll my eyes mentally at people who try to reinvent the wheel with their dietary habits. Food is food, it's made up of a handful of nutrient requirements that we need to consume to maintain biological functions/survive. A lot of food trends just make it more challenging to acquire the appropriate nutrients, and also more expensive. This really shouldn't require as much thought as brain surgery (I don't know how anyone can put that much cognitive effort into something as basic as eating without getting a headache).

Not trying to be judgmental, just wanted to give some examples. There are a lot of "modern day" phenomena that I just don't "get." I do have a friend who's INTP and is similar, we joke about being prudes.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
I'm an anachronism afficionado. I am naturally drawn to low tech life, old technologies that have since been 'improved' strike me most of the time as being better in the original. I tend to think a lot of things are in their best iteration the way they are. Who needs to invent wheels again? They were the perfect invention first time around.

But I also take great joy in doing things the slow, traditional way. It's soothing to me to create an artwork in metal or wood using only hand tools. I like the act of polishing with various grades of sandpaper by hand, and then moving onto cloth and polishing powders until I hone something to a mirror shine. There is something inherently relaxing in slow artisan methods.

Even though I'm a minimalist, I hate modern minimalist design. It lacks the basic aesthetics of comfort. Spartan, bare spaces are entirely unsettling to me. I hate clutter for the sake of clutter but I need the appearance of cosiness, comfort and in some small ways also luxury. Things like a silver gilt mirror, or a silk pillow. Just little touches of luxury and sentiment.

I didn't have an iPhone until it was up to version 4 and I still prefer to read books printed on paper. I need that tangible aspect to life. Digital reality is so hollow. My tastes always run to something that has been. I am only future orientated in terms of how I can revive something that was put aside. it's like I live to bring back a soul that life has lost.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I look very traditional, very Little House on the Prairie. With my house full of kids, and pets, no TV, baking bread by hand, simple meals, very little processed foods, live on the edge of town next to the wild west.

Though I protested against the internet, now I can't imagine life without it.

I hate clutter, avoid gadgets, prefer a flip phone to a smart phone.

Kindle annoys me, I also prefer books, because I need to see the whole book, mostly non-fiction, and need to be able to flip through it, not read start to finish.

No jewelry, no luxuries, not interested in things for myself. I prefer simple toys for the kids, not electronic.

So yeah, I'm traditional in many ways. My INTP son is so much less traditional. Perhaps the "J" means traditional?

·
Registered
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
I can be traditional in the sense I don't usually want to "stand out" in the crowd. My clothes are simple and modest; I dislike to bring attention to myself. I feel to need to buy stuff just because they are "new" or popular and I also find dating apps incredibly superficial. Not that I have much luck with dating IRL anyways.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I don't think I'm traditional, I'm a tech-guy, whatever comes practical, I love internet, youtube is a thing that is having a huge impact on our civilization, I'm just counting days until government gets it dirty hands on it, because days of manipulation are coming to an end, and they don't like it. I am interested in every new solution or technology (new means new not just a newer model of the same thing, or same technology just revised v2), I still have my iPhone5 because I don't see a reason to upgrade it, it's the same thing and does the same thing, I use technology to aid my everyday life and I think it's great.

I think it's crucial for us to always adapt to new things.

but..

I don't use social medias like twitter or facebook or any other "dating apps", I dislike modern music, in my opinion there is no art or talent in it, absolutely 0, I like when people play on the streets or youtube, that is by me considered talent and art, I like when people paint, draw, take photos or do any other "art", I am just interested in it though I don't do any of it myself, I don't know what's up with that tbh.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
INTJ's (and NT's in general) are supposedly future-oriented - probably more so Te and Ni users because of how those functions work.
At first I was like "how is Te future oriented . . . ? "

And then I was like "oh yeah, goal-focused, goals are necessarily not being achieved right now but down the line . . . " But then you would have to say future-oriented is inherent in Je, not Te by itself.

But I find when it comes to more, I guess Se/sense-related things, I prefer not to do anything too "creative" with it. It seems like over-complicating something that should be kept as simple as possible. For example, I find it odd to combine modern technology with romance. The two things are totally unrelated. Isn't the dating scene already contrived enough when it's practiced face to face? Adding computers is only going to make everything more robotic, it seems. So, I don't understand dating apps and have no interest in them.
There is no such thing as dating apps. There are casual sex apps that claim to be dating apps, but there are no dating apps.

Another technology example - I don't like overly techie music, can't take it seriously. Some of it sounds ridiculous. The middle ages had cooler music.
That's not really traditional either, is it? That's super fringe to be into music of the middle ages. Do you mean Celtic music? Because I like that as well. . . gorgeous.

And, anyway, techie music is rather 80's, no?

I roll my eyes mentally at people who try to reinvent the wheel with their dietary habits. Food is food, it's made up of a handful of nutrient requirements that we need to consume to maintain biological functions/survive. A lot of food trends just make it more challenging to acquire the appropriate nutrients, and also more expensive. This really shouldn't require as much thought as brain surgery (I don't know how anyone can put that much cognitive effort into something as basic as eating without getting a headache).
This isn't really a good example of "being traditional" either. More of an example of being efficient.

One type of "food" that is quite fringe and new is called Soylent. It's a food replacement that meets all of the body's caloric and nutrient needs.

That's quite Ni/Te if you ask me. Not only is it the Te efficiency, but it's Ni interested in doing things better without being scared of experimenting and doing something totally different from how everyone else has been doing it for thousands of years. It's very anti- "tried and true" and very "you idiots are still eating food and I'm over here synthesizing my own ATP from the sun."* It's very Dagny Taggart from Atlas Shrugged.

*exaggerated to prove point.

Perhaps the "J" means traditional?
No o.o

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The only thing remotely "traditional" about me is that I prefer books to e-readers.

Otherwise, I'm about as modern and non-traditional as it gets.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Definitely. There are some traditional concepts that just "work" better for me than their modern alternatives (e.g. books & e-book, continuing to hold certain interactions in-person and not through e-mails, Thank You Notes vs Thank You e-mails, etc...). Not all change is an automatic improvement from its original.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I consider myself a bit of a paradox for an INTJ. While I think in a future sense when it comes to work and my goals, most of my likes and preferences concern the past. This not only falls within my preferences (I'm an ardent lover of history), but also in regards to traditional values in regards to culture (I'm very proud of my Japanese / Chinese / Hawaiian heritage). That being said, I don't dislike the future-related topics per say...I just prefer, let's say, studying ancient ruins in Sumeria to learning about solar panels developed by Cal Tech.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I do like technology, but I don't like technology for technology's sake and the short model lifespan we see nowadays with iphone 5,6,7,.....12 being churned out every two years. That kind of thing just makes me think "Dafuq, why didn't they just get it right the first time?"
Also, I can't be bothered with the multitude of hybrid devices, like phones that play music or or ipads that do all sorts of things but don't connect to smart boards because they are too flat to have a VGA socket.

When it comes to general mindset and culture, I'm definitely born in the wrong century. I'd prefer to live in Ancient Greece/Rome, the Renaissance or Romantic period, but only if I was male-bodied or could disguise myself as a man convincingly enough.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
INTJ's (and NT's in general) are supposedly future-oriented - probably more so Te and Ni users because of how those functions work. But I find when it comes to more, I guess Se/sense-related things, I prefer not to do anything too "creative" with it. It seems like over-complicating something that should be kept as simple as possible. For example, I find it odd to combine modern technology with romance. The two things are totally unrelated. Isn't the dating scene already contrived enough when it's practiced face to face? Adding computers is only going to make everything more robotic, it seems. So, I don't understand dating apps and have no interest in them.

Not trying to be judgmental, just wanted to give some examples. There are a lot of "modern day" phenomena that I just don't "get." I do have a friend who's INTP and is similar, we joke about being prudes.
I do what works. If the traditional path is efficient and works, then I keep it. If not I find a new path. I'm pretty traditional/conservative in my core values as well, just don't see much point in complicating things.

I did use Internet dating and ended up meeting my wife from that though. I didn't use it the way many people use it though which is chatting for hours online (I don't feel like online relationships are a substitute for in person relationships), I merely used it to do some screening of women I saw as a potential fit and then set up dates and moved it offline from there. I doubt I would have ever met my wife and formed a relationship otherwise even though we go to the same church as we are both a little bit reclusive and went at different times.

·
Registered
235 Posts
INTJ's (and NT's in general) are supposedly future-oriented - probably more so Te and Ni users because of how those functions work.
I don't believe there is a conflict between being "future-oriented" and "traditional."

I consider myself a Burkean Whig, which is more of an attitude than a coherent philosophy. To give you some background, in 18th Century British politics, a "Whig" supported the power of Parliament and represented middle class interests while the Tories supported greater power for the King and represented the aristocracy. Burke was a Whig from Ireland who expressed skepticism concerning new, all-encompassing ideas that wrapped up politics, society, and life in general in a neat, ideological package that could explain everything. He believed society - and human nature in general - is too complex to be adequately understood by any single person, and that change - though inevitable - should undergo incredible scrutiny before being deemed "good." He was not against change entirely. Rather, he was concerned more with the "spirit" of change. You could sum up his philosophy in the phrase "change what you can to say what you can."

For me, tradition should have deference, but not absolute authority in considering a situation. Tradition is a gift from the past to the present to be used in the future. It is the wisdom of our forebears that we can glean from as we live our lives. That's not to say that tradition has problems, but neither should it be discarded for everything "shiny" that comes along.

I was rather surprised when I learn that INTJ's "don't do tradition." I think the truth is more complicated than that. INTJ's don't embrace ideas or authority unless it makes sense to them. I think most INTJ's can accept tradition if they understand it to be the most efficient or beneficial way to do things.

Now, I do like modern conveniences. However, I do like notions of chivalry and old-fashion morality.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For most stuff, I don't think I'm that traditional. I tend to just do whatever I want/think is the best way to do it at the time, like a number of people have said already. One thing I am traditional about, that I'm glad to see a couple of other people do too, is read books, not e-books, just because I need to be able to have it in my hands, and physically flip the pages. I can't stay focused when trying to read on my phone. I'm also pretty traditional when it comes to dating. I'm not a fan of social media, and dating online, stuff like that, I prefer to ask the girl out face to face, take her out and do something not technology related, so it's a lot more about her and I learning to get to know each other, rather than whatever we are doing. Also being a traditional gentleman, opening doors for her, walking her back to her door, being polite, etc etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was raised to celebrate traditions such as Easter and Christmas and still look forward to those occasions, I don't like to make too much of a fuss though but it's nice to have a change from the ordinary day. I'm attracted to traditional clothing and items as well such as pocket watches and old books, I think I appreciate the simplicity it's nice to get back to basics but definitely less efficient, there is something hollow and robotic about technology though. I'd say with typing my main confusion was with INTJ vs ISTJ because of my fondness for tradition and interest in past cultures but I'm more future orientated and often think of new discoveries and inventions that could be made.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I would say so. I am the say way when it comes to romance and I've been known to be something of a crotchety old man about things despite being in my 20s.

For example, music. I don't generally like the modern shove-the-tune-into-your-mind repetitive tracks that most artists make. These kids and their new-fangled music. *brandishes cane*

But I don't know that that's really being traditional more than just being a fan of older styles of music. I don't think I was ever in tune with modern music.

I am that way about some newer technologies though for sure. I still haven't gotten on board with the smartphone generation (granted, partly due to money) and I like to joke about "these kids stuck in their cellphones can't live life."

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would say so. I am the say way when it comes to romance and I've been known to be something of a crotchety old man about things despite being in my 20s.

For example, music. I don't generally like the modern shove-the-tune-into-your-mind repetitive tracks that most artists make. These kids and their new-fangled music. *brandishes cane*

But I don't know that that's really being traditional more than just being a fan of older styles of music. I don't think I was ever in tune with modern music.

I am that way about some newer technologies though for sure. I still haven't gotten on board with the smartphone generation (granted, partly due to money) and I like to joke about "these kids stuck in their cellphones can't live life."
You know something's off when an INTJ is thinking "Man, these kids need to get out and live more."

At first I was like "how is Te future oriented . . . ? "

And then I was like "oh yeah, goal-focused, goals are necessarily not being achieved right now but down the line . . . " But then you would have to say future-oriented is inherent in Je, not Te by itself.
Yeah, I guess anything paired with Ni would apply. I imagine extroverted judging functions having sort of a time trajectory past--> present --> future.

There is no such thing as dating apps. There are casual sex apps that claim to be dating apps, but there are no dating apps.
Ha. I know. But some people claim they found romance through online dating so... that's what I don't get.

That's not really traditional either, is it? That's super fringe to be into music of the middle ages. Do you mean Celtic music? Because I like that as well. . . gorgeous.

And, anyway, techie music is rather 80's, no?
Well, I mean, it can come off as being traditional or behind the times musically to prefer, say this:
(Incidentally, there are some arguments going on the comments about whether European culture was "lost" to modern-day political correctness, multiculturalism, etc.)

to this:

Or hardstyle.. this genre... is just.. I don't get it.

I think this stuff gets the majority of its publicity from clubbing, which is why I often call it "YOLO music".

Techie is probably not the best adjective, but basically I mean anything that over-uses computer processing. Of course, over-use is subjective. Apparently my tolerance for it is lower than average b/c I find a lot of pop and hip-hop music to be overly processed. It does seem like a lot of it is a by-product of the 80s. IMO the 80s should have stayed in the 80s, for the most part...

This isn't really a good example of "being traditional" either. More of an example of being efficient.

One type of "food" that is quite fringe and new is called Soylent. It's a food replacement that meets all of the body's caloric and nutrient needs.
Maybe not. It's more the fact that I can be rather stubborn in adapting new trends, which can seem traditional. If it was actually more efficient I would probably be open to it, but usually that's not the case with many trends. If you remove the trendiness and marketing tactics from veganism, or some "paleo" diets, for example, it seems to come down to a higher level of health consciousness than the average Western diet (one which I'm not sure is entirely necessary, and can be more restricting than it needs to be).

I am fine with things like utilizing excess whey protein from milk production to put it into powder form and add a variety of amino acids to it, so that for about $1.50 or less a day you can get a protein shake.

Although if I jumped onto many modern-day dietary bandwagons, I'd probably avoid milk derivatives. So I guess I think there's a bit of a status quo that should be maintained with dietary habits, because it's not like our GI tracts are going to "evolve" to require different nutrients anytime soon.

I don't think Te is inherently traditional. I think Ti thinking is sometimes a little more out-of-the box so ends up gravitating more towards novel ideas at times. For example, one of my INTP friends started taking cold showers because apparently it has all these health benefits. He mentioned this to me over a year ago but I never tried it. I also have an ENTP friend who tried sleeping naked for the same reason (it's healthier?) and I'm just like "eh, what's wrong with how I've always done those things?" Sometimes I can be very slow to adapt new habits.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Reactions: ninjahitsawall

·
Registered
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
I do like technology, but I don't like technology for technology's sake and the short model lifespan we see nowadays with iphone 5,6,7,.....12 being churned out every two years. That kind of thing just makes me think "Dafuq, why didn't they just get it right the first time?"
Exactly.
My cell is an Iphone 4 and I'm too disinterested to buy a new one just because it's from a "NEWwWwW generation". Some people ask me: "oh, why don't you buy an Iphone 5S???" and then I just roll my eyes.
I see no point in buying something just for aesthetics' sake or because of minimal improvement. That's what the tech industry seems to be doing anyways.

·
Registered
ISTP
590 Posts
Or hardstyle.. this genre... is just.. I don't get it.

I think this stuff gets the majority of its publicity from clubbing, which is why I often call it "YOLO music".

Techie is probably not the best adjective, but basically I mean anything that over-uses computer processing. Of course, over-use is subjective. Apparently my tolerance for it is lower than average b/c I find a lot of pop and hip-hop music to be overly processed. It does seem like a lot of it is a by-product of the 80s. IMO the 80s should have stayed in the 80s, for the most part...
Yep, that sure was pure crapola. Really, there's not much relation to the more melodic classic 80's synth pop, for example Depeche Mode. In fact, my love for older genres such as 80's synth pop and new wave is one way that I consider myself "traditional" :wink:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts