• No-Unknown

Votes: 1 2.6%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, would you consider yourself very forgetful (constantly forgetting the same things)? Are you a sensor or intuitive? What is your type?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Yes I can be very forgetful at times, you can tell me to bring something and I'll probably bring something completely different since I forgot what exactly you asked again. I call this the 'Gold fish memory' and holy shit I do this quite often and it can make me an absolute idiot. I also tend to forget where exactly I put my stuff sometimes which just infuriates me so much. I remember I spent nearly an whole hour trying to find the house keys I lost, I checked the cupboards, the desks, the tables. You would not believe where I found it, it was in my shirt's pocket all along. I felt like a huge idiot that day.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Yes, I forget a lot of the things I think is unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am very good at remembering certain kinds of things and awful at remembering others. It is easy for me to remember events I experienced, faces and appearance in general, birthday dates, quotes, pointless trivia I read in the internet.

On the other hand, I am awful at remembering where I put things, to take important things before leaving home, addresses, compromises (sometimes) and if I am too concentrated in my work or hobby, I can go as far as forgetting to eat.

I am intuitive.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I have a very good memory for things, such as facts, numbers, and theories, but I suck at remembering names, faces, things I have to do, things I need to bring, and what I was looking for/ going to do during a specific moment in time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can be forgetful when it comes to hard facts.. it's taxing for me to remember stuff like this. I'm bad with names as well, but I don't forget a face once I see it.

I am forgetful because I get lost in thought all the time. It's the absent minded professor stereotype. I have my glasses on my head but I'm looking for it. if you tell me to buy something in the morning it's almost guaranteed I come home empty handed. I am looking for stuff all the time sinceI forget where I place them 80% of the time. I walk away from my desk without my wallet and wound up having no money for lunch, wear my bottoms the opposite way, wear my jacket inside out, panic pointlessly because I thought I lost something I never brought with me, get lost, so on and so forth. Most of the times I'm preoccupied mentally and so detached from my environment, things like these don't register in my head.

However, if you're asking about stuff I intentionally remember, I'm really not any worse off compared to the average person. I can work without a task list because I have a mental checklist in my head, and this mental checklist isn't easily forgotten most of the time. I can hold a substantial amount of data/information in my head and manipulate the data/ form connections to derive a conclusion. This requires short term memory. It's the same for my INTP dad.

Reactions: psyche

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very relatable, guys. I also always forget things and feel idiotic afterwards because it could have been so simple to remember, but well, it just never happened lol. Like I would feel confident that I will remember to do something in one minute, and after that minute has passed, I have forgotten it. I think it's because in order to actually remember things that aren't important to me personally, I need to try really hard or else it's like my mind becomes another being on its own, takes the reigns and doesn't let me control my memory. However, if I try hard to remember things or if they naturally are important or interesting to me, my long term memory is amazing. I can even remember what outfit I wore when I was 4 years old, but I cannot remember to bring something that I told myself to bring a minute ago.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
I've been forgetful all my life already. At younger age, I forgot my to take my bag from school. These days I forget to do other things. Most of the times, I make notes now, which says what I need to do. So I don't forget it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My volatile (i.e. RAM) memory is admittedly poor; but my non-volatile memory is the greatest. Cognitively it is just a matter of paying attention to the relevant situational data; not so much as how it is stored, though I like to think that the latter plays a part as well.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hi, would you consider yourself very forgetful (constantly forgetting the same things)? Are you a sensor or intuitive? What is your type?
I think the more type related question would be to ask sort of things people find themselves forgetting. :) I think everyone is forgetful in some way shape or form.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Extremely forgetful, but as I have ADHD that's not really a fair comparison.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,637 Posts
I'm not forgetful.

Except for dates, birthdays, anniversaries, numbers, time, my schedule, and the like. If it has to be abstractly represented by a number, you bet I'll forget it!!:laughing: So I write these things down somewhere that I can see them when I need to.

But the year that people discovered subvocalization was 1868...

Generally if I do something enough times, I won't forget it—like remembering how to get to a room in a building. As for remembering everything before I leave the house, it is a conscious effort all the way. I check and recheck to make sure I have everything I need. I usually carry too many things with me, just in case. In all my years of school, I've only forgotten to bring one assignment to class.

I know I could be a forgetful person, but being someone that others can count on is important to me, so I try my best to be prepared and have everything I need. I write lists and update my schedule on my phone all the time.

·
Banned
898 Posts
Yes, I am. It's made people pretty mad at me, honestly. And I get mad at myself. I'm just always forgetting to pick up something important before I leave someplace, because I have escapist tendencies and I don't want to have to think, I just want to get away right then and there.

On the other hand, my memory is way too fucking good when it comes to the emotional stuff. Make me feel like a piece of shit and I just cannot forget it. I can't forget the times I've been a cunt to someone, either. A big reason I've never been good at relationships is I cannot forget the women the men I was involved with flirted with on the side, I end up having her etched in my memory until I become obsessed with, say, knowing the psychology of women who [have whatever trait she had and I didn't]. I tend to replay traumatic events in my head sometimes to the point I'm barely functional and I feel weighed down by anger and all this horrible junk. I've come close to being diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder when I was younger.

So yeah... I think I probably have this sort of lightweight escapist quality that makes me forget important tangible things and makes people mad at me because I just have a lot of emotional baggage I'm not good at coming clean with... I don't even like hearing people say my name out loud because it reminds me I am like, physically here, which reminds me I am vulnerable... It's pretty messed up.

So yeah. Good at remembering intangible emotional stuff, bad at the tangible physical stuff. I guess I am pretty stereotypically feminine when it comes to memory stuff.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I once misplaced an item, started searching frantically for it, and then discovered...I was holding it in my hand. Yeah, not one of my prouder moments. I voted Yes, although I guess my problem could be worse.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
No, I wouldn't consider myself extremely forgetful. I can remember seemingly irrelevant information that helps to paint a picture of a story at large. The things I tend to forget are things that aren't in front of me or haven't been 'programmed' into my memory [like a schedule]. The most common scenario tend to be task oriented. If I move to a different room to get x, I'll forget what x was by the time I enter said room. That happens a lot, usually because I'm doing something but thinking of something else.

intj

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I actually don't consider myself to be a very forgetful person; I think that my memory is one of my few assets. It's not photogenic or anything, but I don't have to put effort into remembering facts, faces, names, and dates, it comes naturally to me. I do tend to forget where I put things, though.

I'm surprised I'm the first sensor to vote "no" in the poll.

Reactions: Bunniculla

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm extremely forgetful except about random details I'll remember that others won't. I misplace things all the time though, and my memory is like blurred impressions more than any actual details. More big picture oriented.

I know some remember sentences and stuff, or fights word for word seemingly and I don't. I only remember the feeling of it.

·
Banned
800 Posts
I'm good with concepts, not necessarily terminology. Philosophical and engineering are easiest. Science fades into math, and I don't recall random math terms, much less concepts with no feasible basis, much less no direct usage, JUST random terms as supposed bases. That happened a LOT in matrix algebra where they didn't connect the new stuff with past stuff, didn't demonstrate any visual models of what they were talking about (even in 2D), and often didn't even explain what the fucking terms were supposed to mean. Apparently, some of the adjectives would've been useful to describe things I'd tried discussing with people long ago, but no one knows the words because eggheads that do don't use them like sane people who comprehend causality OR theory of other minds.

I'm good with faces and images. I've identified someone I hadn't seem in decades since they were also a child. My brain identified similarity then extrapolated their likely identity in about a second then pinged me to look at the thing. Works nicely in FPS and flight-sim combat with quick subconscious mental rotations and alternate lighting conditions. Lots of shooting things and consciously noticing them later.

I was never good at trivia. Even my general episodic memory's reduced to recalling a few post-processed facts of an event. I think I've developed a defense mechanism to wipe out most of my direct life experience, due to its content and massive redundancy. I'm forgetting to save to the remains of my sanity. Now I'm old, so I think that's stuck and will just be compounding with aging degeneration.

Incidentally, post 666:devilish:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts