• No, I am not PC

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NFs are the liberal and peaceful types as far as I know them....although hitler was an infj.

Ignore that.

But I'm just interested if there are any NFs that are actually appreciative of this movement.

Answer these questions:

1. Are You FOR or AGAINST political correctness?

2. Why are you FOR or AGAINST political correctness?

3. Is your answer based on your experience and your perception of that experience or pure theoretical musing?

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
I am against it that it forces conformity to unhealthy degrees limiting basic freedoms of expressions and even thought should it be so unchecked but also it ultimately becomes a tool of policing people to the point where they live in fear. In this day and age it will eventually reach cult like conditions with the younger generations where any expression outside what is deemed acceptable is automatically shadow banned, banned, or even prosecuted.

“Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.”

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
It's become something oppressive in the eyes of some.
Doesn't it mean just being sensitive about people? Realizing that people are equal? Speaking to a group as if you understand other groups?

To me this is like someone saying "I hate that cultural training we have to do.... oh yeah and then there was that harassment training we had to do. It's all fake! Stop controlling me! I'm racist and sexist as all hell, but I guess I've got to act right at work and I hate that."

I personally am all for anything that helps people be kinder, more sensitive and more thoughtful of others and that decreases hate.
Do I want people openly flouting their racist and sexist ideas? No. This is how we move towards a better society is to determine that we don't want these kind of sentiments brandied about and hopefully not passing them on to the next generation. At this point we might need a new term. Just "Cultural sensitivity" or "Gender awareness" would be good.

I was an adult when people started to talk poorly about "Political Correctness" for the first time and meaning it in a "You know what? Since that movie, Schindler's List, I haven't been able to say a thing against Jews without someone jumping down my throat."

Yeah. That's what I think.
I think people should get chagrinned whenever they speak their prejudice. It's not like anyone is undoing Freedom of Speech in the American Constitution yet. Hmm... there's some countries determining right now what kind of things they want on their social media and deciding that they don't want the hate stuff. The hate stuff is never going to build us as a country... look how behind the South was for so long. The more racist a state was, the less progress. Take Mississippi for example. If you're so busy expressing your hatred of a group and suppressing them, then you aren't working towards the good they are going to bring to the society.

Anyway, nobody is AFRAID to say what they want except for the media in this country. Popularity or lack of popularity is sometimes the only personal consequence of hate, and I'm all for there being some personal consequences to hate.
Compare this to the real fear that any persecuted group has suffered. It was what happened in WW2 that made people realize we do not want to persecute groups, however, I think people are forgetting all of this now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi there! My answers may be slightly biased since I grew up in a very liberal part of the United States and also went to a very small liberal arts school for college.

I am for it however like @The Edwardian Spirit mentioned I do not think it should be used in a way to police people. I think we should reinforce diversity and try to educate others that may not be aware of the implication of their words. I do not think you should attack someone or assume their beliefs based on something they say. Such as a person assuming another's gender. They may just not know the correct pronouns or have ever been exposed to someone who is non-binary, transgender, etc. So, all-in-all I believe political correctness is good but in moderation.

Kinda what I mentioned above but the reason I am for it is that I believe that everyone deserves to be treated with basic human respect. If someone feels that a certain word is offensive then why would I feel the need to use it? There are around 170,000 words in the English language. I am sure that I could find a synonym that is less offensive to use. I guess what I am saying is the US encourages individualism but yet there are a lot of people that get shunned or ostracized because they do not fit into the norm.

3. Is your answer based on your experience and your perception of that experience or pure theoretical musing?

Yes, most definitely. My answer is based on growing up and going to school with a lot of people that do not fit inside the "norm". I believe they are all fantastic people still and should be treated with respect. :) Of course, people are going to be on extremes of both sides, which I think is not the smartest thing to do, but I believe in moderation political correctness can bring us together.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
"Where one burns books, one will soon burn people." — Heinrich Heine

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,847 Posts
Generally against. Being offensive isn't the issue, the why it should or shouldn't happen is more important.
I live in a 90% Christian country, the amount of bullshit censoring and otherwise PC drama I've witnessed in decades is astounding. Just a month ago, some religious fascist dudes and a local Church 600km away managed to get a concert cancelled because they found it blasphemous, also some theatre plays from time to time. When I was in high school I had a teacher bully me because I didn't want to go to church with the school (yes we take trips to churches).

·
Registered
ᚾᛁᚦᛁᚴᛦ
397 Posts
I'm against it. It's fine if it remains personal and conceptual but the moment you attempt to apply or mandate it, you veer into authoritarianism. You can't control the way someone thinks or perceives, you can only threaten and browbeat them out of publically expressing it.

Wanting others to be politically correct points to insecurity. The person can't bear that other people may see them in a way they don't see themselves. Alternately (or additionally), it's about power dynamics. Those who try to force political correctness onto others are attempting to subvert. They're utilizing underhanded, passive aggressive methods and weaponizing their own perceived moral high ground, which by nature makes them dishonorable. They call manipulation kindness. If you call them out, they will tell you that you're unkind.

People are not equal. Differences exist. This is a basic biological fact, and it also holds true when viewed from the lens of psychology, history, anthropology, chemistry... It is good to be empathetic and strive not to damage others, but not hurting someone else's feelings is not a moral paragon. Honesty is a form of kindness. Reality is a form of kindness. Even if it bothers someone, even if it hurts them. We can't define truth or morality through the whim of the feelings of the majority.

·
Registered
17,697 Posts

This is what Political Correctness is leading to. It's derived from ignorance, keeps people ignorant, gives ignorant people too much power. Gives actual racists more power to keep people distracted with bullshit like the above because it delegitimizes real issues around race, power, social classes etc.

I'm all for kindness and treating all individuals and their identities, race, gender etc with respect. I'm for even fighting against institutionalized racism as well as breaking the power structures in society that *actually* oppress minorities.

Butt fuck this kind of "political correctness" though. It's become cancer and it's becoming worse.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Answer these questions:

1. Against

2. Because it creates a bunch of liars. The word hate is being thrown around frivolously these days. It's possible to have a difference of opinion, or not be in agreement with certain values, and not be hateful. People are afraid of being labeled as such or being shamed publicly and so they either lie about what they really think, or don't say anything at all. I'd rather not have to guess what others really think; I miss the days when I could trust the spoken word more. True acted upon hatred, violence, and derogatory slurs, however, should never be acceptable.

*I find, honestly, the people who are screaming anti-hate are seemingly the more hateful, closed-minded lot. It's like the person at work who points their finger at everyone else screaming “lazy!” while they sit there scrolling through their phones.

3. My answer is based on opinions formulated through my own observations.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
1. For it

2. Actual Political Correctness (aside from paranoid re-interpretations thereof) is easily summed up in one line;
Don't be a fucking ass to people

Then of course, the people who wanted to be assholes tried to spin-doctor it to fit into their persecution delusions.
"Someone said I shouldn't say harmful things, therefore they meant that I couldn't say hurtful things!
Boo Hoo, poor me, I'm so sad because I was counting on being approved of for picking on others to give my life meaning!"

In essence, being "politically correct" is just listening to feedback, possessing an ounce of empathy for others potentially different experiences, and having enough humility to admit the possibility of error.

I've never encountered someone against Political Correctness who didn't also have something terrible to say about someone else / groups of people.

Humorously enough, many of those against it on the basis of freedom of speech (not affected, FYI), are also against public boycotts of businesses for moral reasons. Because... freedom? Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Generally against. I mean, I am for right and wrong, but political correctness seems like its all about not offending anyone, well unless it's somebody with traditional values.

2. Why are you FOR or AGAINST political correctness? Above and below.

It's based on my experience, items in the news, and theoretical musing. Why does it have to be taken so far? Of course, racism is wrong, of course belittling women in any way is wrong. But, bringing it to the other extreme is wrong also. My two cents.

·
Banned
17,148 Posts
Against I reckon although Im bored with opposition rather than attempts to illuminate the problem beyond it a means to be deragatory to some group. I also get annoyed to what extent it seems to be reflective of legal concerns of being sued or something. At the same time though I don’t think i am uncritical of many who oppose it either who can use an anti PC position as a veneer to certain attitudes.
Most useful things Ive found upon glancing at things has been tied to the breakdown of relationships which are instead fragmented by commodification and the general problems of ethics within modernism which attempts to retain something progressive rather skeptical of progressive change.
Overall though it tends to communicate me an illusion of change by o ly changing language in order to hide the reality which is left essentially unchanged. Nasty words aren’t the basis of oppression and as such they are a superficial cover to larger problems which makes me suspect of some who seem obsessed with it. Remind me of the type skewered in Jordan Peeles Get Out movie.

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/523/against-multiculturalism

Not only is the demand for 'recognition' the product of political pessimism, it is also a means of implementing deeply authoritarian policies. Consider, for instance, Tariq Madood's distinction between what he calls the "equality of individualism" and the "equality encompassing public ethnicity: equality as not having to hide or apologise for one's origins, family or community, but requiring others to show respect for them, and adapt public attitudes and arrangements so that the heritage they represent is encouraged rather than contemptuously expect them to wither away." Why should I, as an atheist, be expected to show respect for Christian, Islamic or Jewish cultures whose views and arguments I often find reactionary and often despicable? Why should public arrangements be adapted to fit in with the backward, misogynistic homophobic claims that religions make? What is wrong with me wishing such cultures to "wither away"? And how, given that I do view these and many other cultures with contempt, am I supposed to provide them with respect, without disrespecting my own views? Only, the philosopher Brian Barry suggests "with a great deal of encouragement from the Politically Correct Thought Police".

https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/subject-position.htm

https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/cult-safety.htm

9,999 Posts
The dichotomous nature of your question creates an issue out of a naturally fluctuating dynamic.

You can't have dynamic societies unless issues can be addressed, and you can't have cooperation if no one gives a shit about how their words/actions impact others.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,468 Posts
I'm not going to post my opinion here because I try to keep politics out of non-political spaces, but I just want to say I am genuinely surprised at the results so far. I always assumed that generally speaking F's would be more likely than not to be PC. I guess I still have some of those dumb MBTI stereotypes in my head that I need to wriggle out.

·
Registered
I don't know what i'm doing
6,875 Posts
PC can be annoying but I think it is necessary for equality. I don't like when the media very obviously pushes their politically correct ideals forward, (that is condescending and degrading in itself) but change is always good and some things shouldn't stay conservative. It's because of political correctness (perhaps not only because of) that Marvel has introduced their first female protagonist, and I think that's pretty cool. It's more diverse and interesting that way, it brings something new to the table. People in general are very diverse, and we should appreciate that more rather than clinging to social norms.

However I don't agree with hatred towards a group of people who are seen as the "oppressor", or making out that a group of people or a culture is something it's not. I also don't like being overly sensitive and reactive to things like a common phrase or gesture. For example some people think men shouldn't split the bill because of equality - if you ask someone out with you, it's polite to pay for the drink and it's generally a nice gesture. I don't want PC to be an excuse not to be polite to other people over small things.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts