Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lose things quite a lot. For example I have a habit of taking things around the house with me without realising and then putting them down somewhere so that later I end up trying to work out where I've put something!

For example I once lost some money and my mum said "You didn't put it in the bin did you?" and I said "In the bin? I wouldn't put money in the bin."

So we look in the bin anyway, just in case, and there it is, my money, in the bin!

Another time I had to photocopy my wage slips to post them somewhere (can't remember where). So I spent all evening photocopying these wage slips. Then just before bed I thought I'd quickly tidy the living room. The next morning my wage slips are no where to be seen. Guess where they were? Yes, in the bin.

If I wear jewellery, or hair bands in my hair I have a habit of taking them out without noticing and leaving them around the house. So I can never find a hair band when I want one.

Is this just me or is it an INFJ thing?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
All the time

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, yes. A squillion times yes. I was infamous for it at school, and part of the reason why I was so surprised to find out I was any kind of J at all, though as I've learned since this trait tends to manifest itself indifferent ways in INFJ types.

I once walked 200m down the road wearing a pair of bunny slippers because I forgot to put my shoes on for school. I left my schoolbag on the bus. I have lost, and luckily regained, just about every item of value I own at some point. My friends often joke it's a bit like Hansel and Gretel, only instead of following breadcrumbs you just follow the trail of personal possessions I leave behind me. I regularly go upstairs for something, and forget what it is by the time I reach the top step. I got hit by a car once because I forgot to look where I was going, I was off in my little dream world.

In other words - yeah, I'm pretty ditzy/forgetful :dry:

·
Registered
294 Posts
My INFJ mother-in-law apparently is like this a lot. She'll get into a cleaning frenzy and clean up the home office, including my husband's workspace (he works for the family business); he hates this, because she'll sometimes "clean up" something that was important to him, and later deny that she did anything with it.

I would probably be like this, too, if I let myself go into a frenzy. But, I try not to do that...

For important things that I use a lot, like keys, or glasses, I have a few locations around the house that I tend to drop them, then I always know that they will be in one of these locations. If I put something somewhere where I usually wouldn't put it, I make myself pause and take mental note so that I am less likely to forget.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
As far back as I can remember, I have organized my external life to some degree. Everything has it's place, and that is where it should be. In the past, I have driven family members nuts when I re-organized. In my mind, this re-organizing was always for the better. My theory was and still is: If you put it back where it was, you will always know where it is at! I do step outside of the box from time to time and put something other than where I established its' home. I run around looking for it. This drives me crazy. I feel like I am wasting too much time looking.

As for going to another room and forgetting why I go there, I do this a lot. I don't have a clue as to how fix this one! :happy:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I forget things, so when i wake up i have to write down everything (as i remember) i want to do or accomplish that day.
I always make calendars everywhere, so i don't forget dates for this or that.

Can you imagine once i was looking for something and it was in my hair the whole time!
when i leave my house i usually forget if i actually locked the door!
I have left my wallet on the counter at a store
I have left my favorite hat on the bus
I have left my phone in a cab and at an entertainment center (the same phone which I'm still using, lucky me!)

The one that even cracked me up the most was when I went to buy some goodies at a fastfood,
paid, collected my change and receipt then started to walk away :laughing:

jeez im really ditzy!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
This was definitely the case when I was younger. I was always so much in my head that I was very much the absent-minded professor (except for a brief bout of stress-induced OCD when I was about eight or so). Age and entering the workforce eliminated much of this, and joining the military hammered in the last nail. As much as I am attempting to embrace my P, I am hopelessly J in nature. Like Dalien, everything has a place. One thing that helps me in this respect is not having many possessions, and so very little misplace.

I do still have bouts of intense introspection when I wander about in a daze and forget what I was doing and why. I have decided to attempt to minimize the whys and whats in my life so that I can spend more time in my head, the only place where I feel safe...:)

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
PS I should have added to my previous post that I do have a couple of areas where I have organized chaos: My desk is one for sure! I love this area. My books, journals, paper & writing instruments, ramblings all in one area (for the most part...some is beside my bed). I don't label things (anywhere for that matter). Other places would be, a few drawers that I will stuff things into. I don't think I am obsessive compulsive; I do allow room for just setting things down. Though they can't stay there for a long period of time. I will go a week depending on what it is then they need to go back to their home.

Yes, HorribleAesthete, I have grasped the less is more concept a few years back. It is nice not having so much clutter!

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My INFJ mother-in-law apparently is like this a lot. She'll get into a cleaning frenzy and clean up the home office, including my husband's workspace (he works for the family business); he hates this, because she'll sometimes "clean up" something that was important to him, and later deny that she did anything with it.

I would probably be like this, too, if I let myself go into a frenzy. But, I try not to do that...

For important things that I use a lot, like keys, or glasses, I have a few locations around the house that I tend to drop them, then I always know that they will be in one of these locations. If I put something somewhere where I usually wouldn't put it, I make myself pause and take mental note so that I am less likely to forget.
Those are the few things I never lose. My keys, my phone and my purse :laughing:

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was definitely the case when I was younger. I was always so much in my head that I was very much the absent-minded professor (except for a brief bout of stress-induced OCD when I was about eight or so). Age and entering the workforce eliminated much of this, and joining the military hammered in the last nail. As much as I am attempting to embrace my P, I am hopelessly J in nature. Like Dalien, everything has a place. One thing that helps me in this respect is not having many possessions, and so very little misplace.

I do still have bouts of intense introspection when I wander about in a daze and forget what I was doing and why. I have decided to attempt to minimize the whys and whats in my life so that I can spend more time in my head, the only place where I feel safe...:)
I try to be very organised, I keep folders full of letters, wage slips, bills, insurance so I know where to find those! I quite enjoy it. Especially when I go looking for it and it is there, I then feel quite proud of my organising systems when that happens.

However 'absent minded' sounds like the best word to describe me. My thoughts are always on other things, not what I'm doing. I can very easily forget what I was doing or what I went into a room to do/get (as Dalien said).

:crazy:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm so absent-minded! Not only do I lose and forget things, but I'm just so unobservant. Sometimes I'm thinking so deeply and I'm so much in my own thoughts that I do the most ridiculous things. For instance, a few days ago I went home to visit my family. I was washing a load of clothes and wound up washing my camera and cell phone chargers. They must have somehow become mixed in with my clothes in my suitcase. How I didn't notice them is beyond me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had been better about this lately, but then last Tuesday I lost my cell phone ($60 to replace it), and ever since then I've just kept losing things. It's been a nightmare. :/

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not me. I hardly ever lose anything unless someone else move the shit on me and don't tell me. Then I get feisty cuz I hate lookin' for stuff that should be in it's damn place - where I left it! I'm very anal. Heavily tilted toward the J side.

Reactions: emerald sea

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Yeah, I'll also comment that my forgetfulness growing up what certainly not looked at by my ISFJ mother as a good thing. To her, that just influenced her to tell me how "irresponsible" I am and how I should not "be allowed on my own" because I had "not grown up yet". :dry:

Needless to say, I still forget things the same way as I did 10 years ago... the only difference now is that I have myself set into a routine on how to do things... which, ironically, I developed on my own because I was forced to once I started living on my own.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts