Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not good, but competent. Trigonometry in particular totally confuses me (sine, cosine, blah blah blah boring), I think I just need to work on memorising those formulas though. However, I think I can pick up new concepts in algebra very easily.
I'm more interested in the applications of maths, so I'm better at physics and chemistry than I am at the pure hard grit of it all.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Math is my super power and one my favorite subjects, I really like pure mathematics and I LOVE applied Mathematics :proud:

Reactions: L'Empereur

·
Registered
766 Posts
Actually yes, but it does depend on the way it is taught.

At school, math was one of my favourite subjects, if only because it was easy and I didn't have to work much for it.

At university, I'm still good in the slightly-toned-down maths lectures for computer scientists, but I tried some math lectures for mathematicians at first, and those are hard. I'm actually sure I could do it with enough work, but it's just no fun the way they do it there. In the lecture, I was swamped with proofs in a speed such that I could barely take notes and nothing is explained in a meaningful way - it's just proven, step by step, with mathematical methods and noone cares what it really means when put together. Due to the massive flood of data, the expected method to deal with it was just learning formulas and algorithms by heart and applying them. Instead of questioning and trying to understand, you're expected to take it in, accept it and use it, like a computer. I actually felt like that way of thinking was dumbing me down instead of enhancing my analytical abilities. I suspect that that sort of Maths might be better suited to Ti and Si than to Ni and Te.

Reactions: diMaggio

·
Registered
53 Posts
My math skills are terrible, though, it isn't because I can't complete the equations; math is boring in its inherent fatalism. When I can't take the components of a problem and derive several solutions through them, boredom sets in and my interest wanes significantly.

EDIT: Also, showing my work is completely unnecessary, if I have the answer, mister math teacher, so quit grading me down for it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I didn't take any math classes in college because I find math very dry, but I was very good at it in high school, so much so that I shocked the hell out of most of my math teachers when I went for a liberal arts degree instead.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am not, but in past when my relative explain me I got 5 on test, when I have to figure out by leasing on class I got 1....
When it comes to money I am excellent in math in other fields disaster...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm very good in math (I can concentrate, control abstracter equations, formulating and applying ideas very well ) but I never very interested of that subject.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
No way! When it comes to math, I use my Si a lot and end up in tears. It's a stupid approach, but it's the only one I know and I hate myself for that. I can't come up with new ways to solve problems or whatever. So when a particularly difficult problem comes my way, my brain goes into overdrive and little explosions start going off saying "you can't do this". And then I get very stressed.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What do you mean "good at math"? Some people are really good at solving problems, but not so much the theoretical aspects of math. I consider myself more of the latter. I hate computational math, in fact. But yes, so far, I've gotten straight As in the calc sequence.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was bad at math as a teenager. I think that was because I was lazy and never applied myself. Half way through my freshman year of college I quit and took a two-year break, I lived in a different country, learned a new language and gained some better work habits and social skills. When I got home from my two-year hiatus, I found my math classes to be very stimulating and interesting. I ended up graduating with a degree in statistics with a minor in math. I took every applied math class that there is. I also took an elementary analysis class which delved into writing math proofs. That's where the buck stops for me. I can understand proofs when presented to me but conjuring them up on my own is a whole new level that requires more talent than I have.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I see patterns in math easily, and algebra especially comes easy, so, yes, I'm good at math.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It was too easy when I was younger, so I stopped paying attention to it. As a result I did'nt have the attention span for Trig. Calculus and more complex forms. Geometry, however, came easy and applying numbers to shapes made sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts