Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can be pretty convincing when I want to, otherwise, it's easy to know that I am lying. I can't lie on the spot, but I can lie on a larger scale. o.o White lies.

I am pretty good at detecting lies but I can't decipher my ENFP gf's lies. Funny.

For the most part, I like being honest and am honest. Lying makes me feel guilty and pricks my conscience.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Telling lies, no. I've never really practised it and I don't need shit blowing up in my face in the longterm, so I'm guessing I suck at it.

I think I'm alright at detecting them but I rarely call people on it unless it's of critical importance. I dont normally participate in life much but if you're relying on a person for X and they're lying to your face, generally speaking you've already lost the game.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The only things I have lied about is, "Hmm, did you do something terrible today, Ishh?" and "Are you okay?" and "What are you thinking of?"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lies by itself are not good, especially if you want to make a good relations with your family members, partners, friends etc. I would feel guilty if I would try lying them. But I can lie other people, I think.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am great at lying.

As for detecting lies, I either need to know the person in question who is trying to lie, or have them lie in an obvious manner (hobo claiming they own a jetpack) but even then I would inquire somewhat about their lives just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I can lie, and have before, but I don't tell lies for the sake of telling lies. While funny, it's unnecessary complication.
Although, when I was little, I told my little sister that if she drank milk that she would turn into a bulldog. I believe I was trying to prevent her from becoming taller than me, which evidently didn't work because she is an inch taller than me right now. :dry:
I can't really detect lies, but I can detect BS. I used to be very gullible as a kid though...

Once, this guy (who was probably either ENTP or ENFP) told my friends and I that this person who we really didn't like was going to join the gifted program. All of my friends at the time were in the gifted program, so we freaked out and told all of the other kids in the program that this person was going to join. They didn't really like the person either, so we ended up skipping class in order to verify whether it was true or not. Turned out it wasn't, and we never got in trouble for skipping class for some reason. This whole thing was quite funny, in retrospect, but at the time it really wasn't as hilarious.
Anyway, my reason for sharing that was: Which type is more likely to lie in order to do something like that? ENTP, ENFP, or some other type? Maybe ENTJ? This guy is definitely intelligent, he skipped a grade. He's also definitely an intuitive type...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nah, I believe lies will lead to having no moral conscious - at the least, being apathetic about everything which also leads to lower moral conscious. Sure, great for the "normal" world, but I'm not normal. Why should I lie like the rest? Rather act/fake my way out of it.

But perhaps this works out with age. I was a good lier in my childhood - when I needed to.

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Registered
244 Posts
I lie an awful lot, and people could never tell, even if they wanted to. I tend to lie with a straight face and in a relatively casual nature, not exactly different from when I'm telling the truth.

I generally don't lie to get others in trouble though. I only do so to either save my own ass or to amuse myself. I'd tell someone something crazy, and tell them that I just lied. Then, I'd watch the person try to figure out if I was indeed lying, or telling the truth.

Because I'm not exactly a trustworthy truth-teller when it comes to my own problems, people will always suspect that I may be lying. The thing is, they can't tell when I am.

[Edit] - forgot to add lying to manipulate.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have a follow-up question: if you DO detect a major lie, especially something that hurts you, what do you do about it?

(to all)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't lie very often, but I am very good at lying. A good lie needs to be 99% truth and 1% lie. Or you simply leave certain facts out. You also don't want to lie often, that way when you lie people will believe you a lot more. I do sometimes lie to people for fun, like I"ll take their phone and deny knowing anything about it. I then return it when I convince them I didn't do it. Although I tend to do that to teach them a lesson when people leave their phone in an area where anyone could have taken it. I still find it fun.

As for detecting lies, I can be pretty gullible but there are certain people who I just can't trust a single thing they say because they just give me an odd lying vibe.

I'm not confrontational, if I know someone is lying to me I'll just let them continue. In the more important things of life like relationships I don't want to be wondering if people are lying. Whenever I've been in a relationship I've just told them that if they ever tire of me and want out or want to be with someone else to simply let me know, I wont get mad, I won't make it difficult, I'm a grown man. But I just would rather know and be done with it than live in fear of it like so many people do. Which of course just means that sometime I'll end up with someone who sleeps around and just doesn't tell me . . . . but you know what? as long as I don't find out and she's still available for me I just might not care.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't lie anymore, but when I was growing up I used to lie a lot. I always knew I was "different" so I would lie about things to fit in better. I think for a while I was a habitual liar even when I didn't need to be, and I rarely got caught so I had no incentive to stop.

Once I went through that self examination stage near the end of high school I realized what a jerk I was being and how unnecessary lying was. I still tell the occasional white lie to get out of awkward situations or to be nice to someone when they need it.

Occasionally I'll talk to someone I knew as a kid and they'll be like "remember saying this..." and I will have no idea what they are talking about so I'll admit that as a kid I probably lied to them about whatever I said.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,086 Posts
People are less inclined to believe me when I'm telling the truth...

I kind of think everything is bs regardless of whether it's true or not. So no.

Cream and Bastards.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm a good liar when it comes to convincing my friends of obscene things for the fun of it. I tell them the truth in the end though. I don't lie other than this, it's too much effort. I'm also not very good at when it comes to serious matters.

I'm good at detecting lies, likely from intuition. I don't call people out on it. I usually smirk at the individual I detect a lie from and I think it often leaves them wondering if I know. I like torturing people in this sense. They deserve it too, people who lie genuinely irk me. I'm a very honest person and I expect people to recognize it and be the same to me. I suppose this is expecting too much from people though, it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I can probably tell white lies, but even then, I still think that it may be obvious that I'm lying. Forget about telling a massive, complex lie... you'll be able to see right through me.

Overall, I just don't lie because I see no need for it. I'm actually more bluntly honest.

I think I'm good at telling when others are lying. I've had years of experience of being a human lie detector from having a chronic liar as a sister.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I don't know about you all, but I am an awesome truth teller. People come to see me to tell their truths be told. And the absolute kicker is, they pay me for it!!! *snake oil, lol. wtf*

1 - 20 of 58 Posts