Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One trait I've found I don't share with some ENTPs is that I'm insanely good with maps and directions. I can arrive in a new city, and figure my way around as soon as I leave the airport. Also have a strong sense of how far apart different cities are from one another, and the best routes to take if driving between them. Is this something you're good at it?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Yep I have a great sense of direction. My brother is ENFJ, and he is terrible with directions. More that he just doesn't pay attention to it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
ENTJ here. Not only am I amazing with maps, I don't even need one! All I need to do is look at one for a little bit, see how the roads lay out, and I know the way. My sense of direction is sick - mostly because I have a map in my head.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I don't look up directions... I look the place up on Google maps and just drive there on my own.

Oh, and if you give me a pen and paper, I can draw maps of places I've been quite accurately. Again, I amazed my wife when I drew a rough sketch of the DC area, and when she compared it to Google maps, it was ridiculously accurate.

·
Banned
998 Posts
ENTJ here. Not only am I amazing with maps, I don't even need one! All I need to do is look at one for a little bit, see how the roads lay out, and I know the way. My sense of direction is sick - mostly because I have a map in my head.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I don't look up directions... I look the place up on Google maps and just drive there on my own.

Oh, and if you give me a pen and paper, I can draw maps of places I've been quite accurately. Again, I amazed my wife when I drew a rough sketch of the DC area, and when she compared it to Google maps, it was ridiculously accurate.
Same, I just have problems remembering street names, so I still print out the map for that reason. But I pretty much draw a map in my head wherever I go.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yep...I have excellent spatial orientation. I can just work the directions around in my mind and just mentally twist them to help me navigate, no matter where I am. And maps are a godsend. I can't see how people have trouble with them - must be an issue of configuring directions in their mind.

Going by landmarks doesn't make sense... where's the logic in that, just run around like a headless chicken until you see the Coca Cola billboard? lol They're good for confirming that you got where you needed to.

If I'm somewhere new with friends, they're always panicking and just running around senselessly. Just trust me. I know where we're going.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm good at finding my way around new areas, but I'm not good with verbal directions and I'm not really sure that I'm so good with maps. But I can find my way around places. I learn by trial and error and I really gain spatial knowledge better when I'm allowed to explore and form a mental map independently. But even with that, I'm not so good with details. So I'm horrible with giving out directions to people even if I can find my own way.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Maps, yes. Not that maps are difficult. Directions, no, and anyone who's walked anywhere with me ever will attest firmly to that. Inferior Si, right...?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Maps, yes. Not that maps are difficult. Directions, no, and anyone who's walked anywhere with me ever will attest firmly to that. Inferior Si, right...?
Oh, verbal directions. Horrible. Someone will tell me and as soon as I thank them, I immediately forgot what they said. :confused:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I can't do verbal directions.

My mind is extremely visual. If I have a map and I can see the big picture of the city layout, then I'm fine and can get where I need to go by intuition. Knowing street by street directions is too much detail. If I know the general area where my destination is, I can get there even if I don't really know the streets well. Don't give me directions....Tell me the general location and give me a few landmarks that I'd be familiar with. So not "turn left here, keep going 2 miles, turn right, take first left past the railroad tracks" or "Turn left on Cyprus, then right on South N street". Tell me "Its in the east part of the city past the community college, you'll see it", or give the nearest major cross roads before you start giving me street by street if I'm finding a house.

At this point, I have a "big picture" of most of California, so I can get to a lot of cities on intuition alone....Knowing that its *that way* and driving *that way* until I find it.

I don't really care about getting lost....It helps me learn the area better and expands my big picture frame of reference.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
At this point, I have a "big picture" of most of California, so I can get to a lot of cities on intuition alone....Knowing that its *that way* and driving *that way* until I find it.

I don't really care about getting lost....It helps me learn the area better and expands my big picture frame of reference.
Exactly what I do too. I always have a general idea of where something is, and a general sense of what the trip might look like in terms of scenery and time, so I basically just meander with purpose in the right direction and end up ... at least within the ballpark. This isn't really a good everyday skill, but I've been lost (alone or with a group) and found my way in situations where most people would have been just screwed. Like in a forest in the mountains a couple of times. I also kind of have that "male" complex where I hate to ask for directions.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I feel you on hating to ask for directions. For me, its not an issue of pride, just an issue of some random person's directions probably won't help me and I probably won't remember them.

If I need to ask for directions, I boot up my GPS.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
INFJ here.... and I can't do verbal directions either because I just can't remember it all -- its like in one ear and straight out the next.

With maps though and written directions... I'll look at it once, and the map might even be wrong and I'll still find out how to get to my destination. I've gotten a bit lost before, but I've never been way off -- always in the same general area.

I enjoy it -- its like a puzzle that I piece together. I despise GPS systems. I always say that I'd rather use my brain than one of those.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have a good sense of direction and as long as I have a map, or local word, I can find my way around pretty easily. any time I arrive at a new campus, i'm the person giving directions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm very good with maps, and have an ok sense of direction, but I still get lost when people don't give me accurate information on the place I'm going, which happens a lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts