Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Borrowed this from the INTJ forum, who are ALL happy Scrooges.

Are you INTPs good at saving money and not spending it on random shit? It seems like being thrifty would be an INTx.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Bahahaha no way, I blow money all the time. Every paycheck I usually buy useless crap on my newest whim (after making sure I have enough for what I need) and take my mom out to dinner, give some to my little sister so she'll mow the lawn or something. I NEVER don't have enough for food or anything, I have like $500 for emergency purposes but I spend the rest on stupid crap, doesn't really bother me though. I always tip A TON too (if I got paid recently anyways XD), I suppose about a week after I get my paycheck I'm a mega tightwad though (since it's mostly gone XD)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I spend money like it's going out of style. I think frugality is more of an NTJ thing than an NTP thing.

Although I did once read a description of INTPs that said something along the lines of "INTPs are very frugal when it comes to spending money on other people, but are very generous when it comes to spending money on themselves". I don't think that's totally accurate, but I think there's a grain of truth to it. I'll be very generous with my close friends, but the moment I feel someone is just leeching off of me I become very frugal very quickly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a huge tightwad. I don't have problems giving other people money--but when it comes to spending it on myself? Not gonna happen.
Unless I'm absolutely sure I want/need something, and have analyzed every other possible option, I won't spend anything. I still have birthday money from over 8 years ago. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bahahaha no way, I blow money all the tim. Every paycheck I usually buy useless crap on my newest whim (after making sure I have enough for what I need) and take my mom out to dinner, give some to my little sister so she'll m ow the lawn or something. I NEVER don;t have enough for food or anything, I have like $500 for emergency purposes but I spend the rest on stupid crap, doesn't really bother me though. I always tip A TON too (if I got paid recently anyways XD), I suppose about a week after I get my paycheck I'm a mega tightwad though (since it's mostly gone XD)
Says "Thrifty Walrus"? :crazy:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I used to spend 100 bucks just leaving the house. I called a $100 bill a "fun ticket." I had new clothes in the closet that I never wore once. The older I get the more I save. Some people have a stamp collection, I have a $100,20,and $1 bill collection. I look at it as a hobby. I try and get the ones that are uncirculated with no wrinkles.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I spend money easily. It's just that there's so little that I actually want to use it on, I end up not spending much anyway.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I used to spend 100 bucks just leaving the house. I called a $100 bill a "fun ticket." I had new clothes in the closet that I never wore once. The older I get the more I save. Some people have a stamp collection, I have a $100,20,and $1 bill collection. I look at it as a hobby. I try and get the ones that are uncirculated with no wrinkles.
That is a frighteningly good idea o_O

·
Registered
657 Posts
No way. So much of my money goes on takeaways, gadgets, clothes, books, concert tickets etc. I like buying things for other people too, but not if they ask. I tend to just pay for my friend's meals and drinks when they're not expecting it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That is a frighteningly good idea o_O
Thanks Thrifty. I taught two of my good friends to save money by treating it like a hobby. They were both bartenders and started with a shoebox in the closet and some paperclips. That is how I started. One of em just bought a new F150, his first new car ever. I believe it is a good way to look at cash. When your pile gets big enough, you will smile every time you look at it. You don't have as many bad days then. Then the problem then becomes you not wanting to spend it, and I get stressed spending a lot of money now.

For example, I told a mechanic I was going to beat his ass over a $3000 bill he gave me. It started out as an $800 repair bid. I think that I was completely serious about hitting him looking back. I cussed him out for two minutes and he had to leave quickly and get his boss to try and calm me down. I yelled at his boss for 20 mins then went home and immediately called the Jeep regional office to complain more.

Yes, I am cheap. I would hit someone going for a quarter I dropped. I always tip well though :laughing:

I don't think girls mind. I have the money to do anything a girl I am seeing wants to do on any special day. My person observation is that they like this quality in men:) I also spend money on quality clothes and furniture. I hate cheap clothes and furniture that breaks easy or looks cheap.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks Thrifty. I taught two of my good friends to save money by treating it like a hobby. They were both bartenders and started with a shoebox in the closet and some paperclips. That is how I started. One of em just bought a new F150, his first new car ever. I believe it is a good way to look at cash. When your pile gets big enough, you will smile every time you look at it. You don't have as many bad days then. Then the problem then becomes you not wanting to spend it, and I get stressed spending a lot of money now.

For example, I told a mechanic I was going to beat his ass over a $3000 bill he gave me. It started out as an $800 repair bid. I think that I was completely serious about hitting him looking back. I cussed him out for two minutes and he had to leave quickly and get his boss to try and calm me down. I yelled at his boss for 20 mins then went home and immediately called the Jeep regional office to complain more.

Yes, I am cheap. I would hit someone going for a quarter I dropped. I always tip well though :laughing:

I don't think girls mind. I have the money to do anything a girl I am seeing wants to do on any special day. My person observation is that they like this quality in men:) I also spend money on quality clothes and furniture. I hate cheap clothes and furniture that breaks easy or looks cheap.
I kind of tried something like that with the quarters, cause you know they have them for the different states. I usually end up spending it once I get to like $5 worth of quarters though XD

I think I'm gonna try this idea though, it really is genius. If I might quote a WKUK skit, "IT'S GENIUS...IS IN IT'S SIMPLICITY!!!!!"

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well, I can spend quite a lot, but it's really only on a fraction of the stuff I actually want. If I see something I want, I decide whether or not I want to buy it based on how much I have spent or will need to spend that day, how long the item is expected to be available in that shop and how likely it is that it will go down in price or be cheaper elsewhere.

However, if I need to save, I can save. I only spend when I know I have the money. That's why I love the Internet for keeping me amused. If I bought all the music and films that I actually listen to or watch, I'd be seriously broke.

·
Registered
344 Posts

I also tip well. Working in a service industry sucks (I work at a hotel....blegh), so I know how much it sucks when you get stiffed on a tip.

Of course most women find that attractive. Not saying all women are golddiggers, but there is plenty of evidence supporting that some (read: most) consider money/status important. Whatev. And I do the same thing with my money; when I spend it, I buy quality things (e.g. fuck Natty Light, give me a six pack of good beer, not cheap beer). Quality tends to drain my funds, but it's always worth it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Someone mentioned books, omfg I swear when I go garage saleing (which is often) I must buy every god damn book since they are usually 2 for 25 cents, or 25 cents each, even on stupid stuff. I always come back with soooo many books, I even bought one of steam engines last week XD

Why in the world would I ever need that? I don't but it was only 25 cents :wink:

I probably only read one out of every 10-15 books I buy XD

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I don't really care about money... as long as I've got enough to live off and do the things I like to do I'm satisfied. I see money for what it really is: a virtual solution to a real problem. The problem being how to share the limited resources of our planet and the solution being money. Money is not real, nor is it valuable on it's own... Therefore it makes no sense to neurotically save money when you don't need it to buy something 'real'.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts