Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you hyper-sensitive? If so, how do you deal with this? I know Maya Angelou suggests we "never" allow bad energy through our front door. I'm believe she is brilliant, but at the same time, I am often the bad energy! I have bad days... For me, happiness has never lasted for years or months, it usually comes in moments, which I don't especially mind, I'm more concerned with having a fulfilling life.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
No, I'm not. Though I do get offended by rude gestures from time to time, I'm generally fairly stoic.

What helps me is to see the underlying motives behind the person's actions. Once I can understand why that person did what they just did, the situation doesn't seem as serious to me anymore.

For example, if a person walks up to me and says "HEY, FU!!!" or anything along negative lines, and I look to the side and notice he has a group of friends sitting, watching, and grinning, I'll understand he was probably dared or something and is acting upon his primal drive to be accepted by his peers -- peer pressure so to speak. Then I see the situation for more than just what it seems at that moment -- and it's not so serious anymore.

It's just another damn stupid episode of a fellow human-being being human. Happens literally all the time. I actually usually take negative moments such as these and see them for the beauty underneath them -- for how intricately and artistically nature spins its web -- plays its natural course.

And this is the way I view the world. I'm not sure if others share this outlook with me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm not. Though I do get offended by rude gestures from time to time, I'm generally fairly stoic.

What helps me is to see the underlying motives behind the person's actions. Once I can understand why that person did what they just did, the situation doesn't seem as serious to me anymore.

For example, if a person walks up to me and says "HEY, FU!!!" or anything along negative lines, and I look to the side and notice he has a group of friends sitting, watching, and grinning, I'll understand he was probably dared or something and is acting upon his primal drive to be accepted by his peers -- peer pressure so to speak. Then I see the situation for more than just what it seems at that moment -- and it's not so serious anymore.

It's just another damn stupid episode of a fellow human-being being human. Happens literally all the time. I actually usually take negative moments such as these and see them for the beauty underneath them -- for how intricately and artistically nature spins its web -- plays its natural course.

And this is the way I view the world. I'm not sure if others share this outlook with me.
That makes a lot of sense.

I myself am trying to understand why I am feeling sensitive lately, I guess what resonates most with me are some Eleanor Roosevelt quotes. She spoke about finding our greatest strengh when being put under hot water and said "no one can hurt you without your consent." Lately I have been hanging my dirty laundry for others to see, which I would compare to listing off weaknesses to a chess opponent--not so intelligent. ;)

Reactions: Lady Nurture

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
That makes a lot of sense.

I myself am trying to understand why I am feeling sensitive lately, I guess what resonates most with me are some Eleanor Roosevelt quotes. She spoke about finding our greatest strengh when being put under hot water and said "no one can hurt you without your consent." Lately I have been hanging my dirty laundry for others to see, which I would compare to listing off weaknesses to a chess opponent--not so intelligent. ;)
I think we each have ways of coping with our down times which are unique to our personality.

Personally, I've found taking refuge in the shadows -- where I feel safe and feel serenity is my cure. It's the only place I truly feel at home. When I'm in a negative state I tend to isolate myself from others because I don't want to jeopardize my relationships with others due to a negative phase.

It'll sound silly, but I've often dreamt of being a whale or some deep sea creature -- being able to reside at the depths of the ocean in silence, in seclusion, in complete darkness, in complete weightlessness -- a way to completely shut out the world, just for a while.

I agree with Eleanor; nobody can hurt you without your consent. Thing is, our consent is usually and naturally unconsciously granted. That's why our first and greatest journey in life is to discover ourselves, who we are. It's a journey that will never end, but it's a journey that we must embark on.

If you can learn to notice the small triggers inside you which shift your mood -- if you can learn to identify exactly when you feel affected by something external and are able to trace it to its source, you'll quickly find our way out. Think of it as becoming an emotional litmus paper.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
hmm...
physical, I am extreme sensitive to sound and smell.

sound: I often hate deep base, because I feel people talking around me with deep voices and this "vrrrrmmm"(^^) makes me aggressive. I often can only sleep in total silence.

smell: I smell a dozen meters away, if someone eats a cake or something. I smell people, if they smell bad and "run away". when the snow melts, I hate the town, because of the former-frozen bad smells (dog-poo and stuff). ^^

at people^^ well, thats psychical-stuff. I am often angry, if someone else is angry^^

Reactions: pikache

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I'm hypersensitive. I'm a "Highly Sensitive Person," but also take criticism hard. I try to maintain stoic when receiving constructive criticism, but it still hurts. I get hurt easily and worry about hurting other people.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Happiness is fleeting.. Like every emotion it comes and goes. It's not the default emotional state of being.
I am not sure when and why people started to believe it is. Probably TV.

No religion, no law, no bill of rights guarantees happiness.. You do not have the "right" to be happy.
Get over it and make your own happiness and don't be too surprised when it goes on vacation.

Do you really want the world to better for everyone or just yourself.?? If you say everyone.. Then you already understand this post and you can ignore it.

I am sensitive to noise bright lights and rudeness. This is why I stay away from night clubs! :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am Hypersensitive, especially when people just hate to be hateful, when I don't see good reasoning for someone to treat me or someone else the way they do.....that hits me hard

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I've come to the realization that I'm highly sensitive, because of my physical reactions to foods, sounds, conflict (or just high energy/high commotion settings) throughout my life.
Physical pain, stress, loud noises, loud talking, crowded areas, people who get too close, smells (strong or mild), changes in temperature, irritatingly bright lights and anything that triggers nostalgia bring out strong physical reactions (and significant changes in mood). Humid/overcast days bring about a tension headache the day before and the day of.
As far as gender-specific ailments, it's a hell-bound Odyssey. I withdraw into myself and remain in a quiet room until I can regain control. Any emotional reaction has a thought component, which can set up a particular expectation. However, change what you focus on and the result can be quite different.
All in all, I don't see hyper-sensitivity as a weakness; on the contrary, it's just that one's system is closely tied to the world and the ever changing energies of the surrounding environment.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I'm sensitive to insensitivity if that makes sense.

Sometimes I make it a point to come across as being hyper-sensitive to certain issues [that I pick] even though at my core, I really am not hyper-sensitive.

Growing up, I realized that at times too much passivity allows insensitivity to breed and therefore at times I make it my goal to challenge stereotypical depictions that portray minorities, or the weak in a negative light.

I mainly do this not because I'm overly sensitive, but simply because I can and I like to test the "strength" of my opponent - because I like to challenge people's opinions and try to find out what lies at the core of that insensitive opinion. I like to try to broaden perspective. My reactions range from gentle to aggressive depending on the tone/mood of my "opponent" or how passionately I believe in the cause I'm standing up for.

As for being sensitive to surroundings. I am very sensitive to conflict around me. Many times I tune myself out completely, especially in situations where I don't have the real or practical power to affect change. However, I wait for a later opportunity to strike when I intuitively know that my involvement can garner real and positive results.

I go get hurt easily, but I can repress my feelings and look past. I control my emotions and channel them into seeking knowledge so that I'm ready for battle the next time [in case I feel like I'm losing ground].

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, I am exceptionally skilled at controlling my emotions.

However, if someone begins putting words in my mouth or attacks my character based on invalid judgement, then I will most certainly take offense. Yet, I am better than most at controlling that impulse to retaliate (and whip out the vicious llama :p ).

And I've come to terms with myself--- I passed those "dark days", and I've learned to accept myself as one whole, both flaws and qualities. As a result, hurtful remarks and criticism are a bit more tolerable. I'm my worst critic, so what others say can't hurt more than what I have to say. Though it initially hurts, I end up taking the negativity and fueling it into a positive energy to better myself. It also helps to have that one person who'll listen to your rants and rambles :p

And regarding my emotions as a result of other people's emotions, it's very easy for me to feel another person's emotions. I can easily understand or sympathize with their feelings. However, I don't recall many instances in which I cried because another person cried or got angry, or any of the such. I only teared up once in this case: my best friend had to leave a school club in which she had grown so attached to the people and had formed so many memories with, a club that she had invested years in. Her tears at that moment resonated so deeply, that it was a bit too much to contain.

And physically? HAH, I have some sort of hyper hyper-sensitive reaction to bees. Run off like a panicked chicken, regardless of who's watching! Heart pounds at the sight of them, and prolonged staring gives way to heavier breathing just to keep myself calm. Swear, I have some sort of unconfirmed phobia. >_>

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm not very sensitive.
It takes a lot to offend me, and you CAN'T do it by accident.

You can get me mad though...

·
Registered
28 Posts
hmm...
physical, I am extreme sensitive to sound and smell.

sound: I often hate deep base, because I feel people talking around me with deep voices and this "vrrrrmmm"(^^) makes me aggressive. I often can only sleep in total silence.

smell: I smell a dozen meters away, if someone eats a cake or something. I smell people, if they smell bad and "run away". when the snow melts, I hate the town, because of the former-frozen bad smells (dog-poo and stuff). ^^

at people^^ well, thats psychical-stuff. I am often angry, if someone else is angry^^
did you ever get carsick not from motion sickness but the smell?? i've had terrible time with this as a child.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
did you ever get carsick not from motion sickness but the smell?? i've had terrible time with this as a child.
I often were carsick, but idk about the smell :|
it started after my tonsillectomy at 8 -.-'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts