Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to decide if my father could be ENTJ. He grew up in a really poor country, and he never got the chance to complete his education. He is a self-made inventor. As a child he used to make his own toys. He made flutes, shoes, windmills, watermills when he was a small child. When he was around ten he started making actual hot air balloons. As an adult he invented something practical for ladders, has patented this invention, has a factory produce them (but he can also make them by hand out of steal), and he sells them across the country from home. Does he sound ENTJ? Or more INTJ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Any type can be innovative, though, all things being equal, the ENTP is more likely to innovate for its own sake than the other types.

I personally feel the most innovative when the situation demands it-- once ends are fixed, I get very crafty about the means. Perhaps I emerge victorious in a strategy game with a maneuver that leaves others scratching their heads, "huh?"

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I don't think I'm innovative. My Ni mostly exists as this sort of thing in my head that tells me "Oi, don't you realise whats going to happen if X?" or that sort of thing where I can sit and stare blankly at a wall for half an hour and just be daydreaming in my head and not realising where the time is going. It doesn't normally manifest itself in innovation. When it does, its rather unconventional. Last year I didn't have a bin, so I took a binbag and put a clothes hanger through each end and hung it on my clothes horse. It was really good; I was quite pleased. In the end I just bought a bin, though.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He seems very ENTP, but not at all ENTP at the same time. He is a very strong J and not very extraverted although he does like being social at times and he can be a good conversationalist. But I think he prefers the world of ideas.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
The world of ideas implies intuition dominant, so either ENTP or INTJ.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The world of ideas implies intuition dominant, so either ENTP or INTJ.
Both of these personality types fascinate me, though perhaps we shouldn't use ideas in the plural for the INTJ.

One of my most interesting friends, who I peg as an INTJ, has a logical exterior, calmly believing in rationality, prediction, science, eliminating bias, and so forth. But that's not the whole story. One day at a restaurant he gave an intense, detailed mini-speech about transhumanism, his all-encompassing, dream-like vision he has about the future. To me, transhumanism is just another secular religion. Yet I couldn't argue against what my friend was saying, since he didn't put forth an argument *for* what he was saying. (I didn't want to either, since his vision was so bizarre and exciting. Why dampen his enthusiasm?) A lot of INTJs are holistic like this, having one big pet idea, simultaneously a brilliant idea and a crackpot idea. The Vulcan analogy fits INTJs well-- they're logical in the outside, and mystical on the inside, even if they don't see themselves like that.

I have two cousins who are confirmed INTJs, and they believe just about every conspiracy theory out there; their vision for the future usually involves Ron Paul somehow, supposedly our terrestrial messiah. The INTJforum is nauseating for the same reason-- they'll delete short chatty comments that get right to the point of an issue, though a person can spout any sort of nonsense at length as long as list of "reasons" is tacked on.

ENTPs create ideas like a chicken laying eggs; they're less like INTJs and INFJs, who frequently use visions as security blankets. General Electric's slogan describes a healthy ENTP perfectly: imagination at work. At their best they're improvisational, brainstormy, and have a trust in imaginative play. I knew a coworker once, a retired engineer, who owned something like 28 telescopes, and he loved taking stuff apart, customizing things, trying out new configurations like a mad scientist. He was working tech support to make more money, he claimed, though it seemed to me he just needed and enjoyed the interaction with others. I remember him always giving this Catholic guy a hard time during lunch break about believing in God, but in a very nimble, joking, devilish manner.

So yeah, the stereotypical ENTP is like Emmett Brown from Back to the Future; we just need to look at things from different points of view! INTJs are more like Fox Mulder from X-Files: The Truth is out there! Why can't you see! It is obvious! Just open your eyes! One is pluralistic, the other is monistic.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I am trying to decide if my father could be ENTJ. He grew up in a really poor country, and he never got the chance to complete his education. He is a self-made inventor. As a child he used to make his own toys. He made flutes, shoes, windmills, watermills when he was a small child. When he was around ten he started making actual hot air balloons. As an adult he invented something practical for ladders, has patented this invention, has a factory produce them (but he can also make them by hand out of steal), and he sells them across the country from home. Does he sound ENTJ? Or more INTJ?
Just because you innovative doesn't mean that you are a certain type. Sometime when I try to type someone I get a friend who will be non biased and we both take the MBIT but we answer the questions as if the person would be answering them. It's not always right. But if you do that and then read the description and it doesn't fit than they might not be that type. IDk always worth a try.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The difference between ENTJ and INTJ is that ENTJs do more while INTJs think more......

Is your dad that talkative? enjoy friends? On a long journey in the car, does he talk a lot? Does he invite or plans to visit or go out with friends often?

If yes, he is most likely an ENTJ

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you want to be really specific, you need to know whether said person is Te dominant or not.
INTJ-Ni dominant
ENTJ-Te dominant

In my opinion, talking to someone with Te dominant cog function is fairly obvious.
That is the best way to determine the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why dont you ask him to take the test , and confirm it by himself? I guess it's the simpliest way to answer your question accurately

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Its impossible to know from that unless we stereotype toy makers.

We need more information about pretty much everything.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I don't truly consider myself innovative (to me, "innovative" means making a scientific discovery or officially patenting a new invention), but I always find new ways and solutions to things - more in the way of strategy than by creating mechanical gadgets, etc.

I remember reading a book on web advertising and being disappointed. Everything in it I had already known long ago from personal observation.

I'm on the fence between ENTP/ENTJ, and even though I chose ENTP, I don't shit ideas like eggs. I formulate ideas (including ideas for product inventions) in my mind when I come across a pressing issue or annoyance.

That said, your father sounds more INTJ. You insisted he was very J and that despite his ability to socialize (which alone does not indicate E), he preferred to live in "his world of ideas". Obviously an I. So, Ni-dom --> INTJ.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Innovation for fun or for the challenge seems inefficient. That is wasted energy, in my book. I'm sort of an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but if it's not working, I'm open to completely rethinking it" sort of person.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.