• Definitely right

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across this, from the author of some online MBTI related articles whose descriptions of INFJs I found to be mostly very fitting and true to me at least. (If it isn't legible I'd be happy to write it up)

IMG_8404.JPG

This sounded reasonable to me, and I thought I'd indulge my curiosity and so I found an online test (you can take it here: Left or Right Brain Test ).

These are my results from this test, and below are the lists of words the test provides at the end that go with the different results:

Left brain 60% : 40% Right brain

ANALYTIC___________INSTINCT
RATIONAL_______________ART
OBJECTIVE__________EMOTION
SYMBOLIC_______IMAGINATION
MATH_______________MEMORY
DIGITAL____________CREATIVE
ORDER_______________MUSIC

That was pretty close to the middle, but I would say it's probably actually closer for me. Looking at the words, for instance, I'd only leave out two words for them all to describe me (digital and memory). Regardless of the test, I would say that I lean more Left brain from some descriptions and Right brain from others, so it's true I'm pretty close to the middle. Anyway, it's close enough that I don't feel I can say at all if I am one or the other.

Are you more left or right brained? By how much? The test is interesting, so share results if you'd like, and how much you agree with it, but ultimately you decide, of course, what seems right to you. You can also copy the word lists and share which ones describe you if that would be fun.

And what do you think of the above description? Does the idea that INFJs are mostly in between for right and left brain feel like a true/likely description?

And anything else you'd like to add:)

9,999 Posts
The left/right brain thing is a pop culture myth.

"I'm disappointed with some aspects of civilization. One is our unending urge to bypass subtlety of character, thought, and expression and just categorize people ... If you want to understand who and what a person is, have a conversation with him. I'm brained. Not right brained or left brained. I have a brain."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Marv Yes but while I don't think it actually has something to do with sides of the brain, I still think there's some truth in the contrasting types that's interesting, that people can be described more by one or the other or somewhere in a spectrum (as with all personality typing). So even though I don't believe it/see it in the way it was intended (about sides of the brain), when I came across the quote I shared above, I still saw an opportunity to share it as something interesting and maybe discover more about the tendencies of INFJs in terms of the qualities the left/right brain thing uses. Hard to resist once I get a bit intrigued by something:)

9,999 Posts
@Marv Yes but while I don't think it actually has something to do with sides of the brain, I still think there's some truth in the contrasting types that's interesting, that people can be described more by one or the other or somewhere in a spectrum (as with all personality typing). So even though I don't believe it/see it in the way it was intended (about sides of the brain), when I came across the quote I shared above, I still saw an opportunity to share it as something interesting and maybe discover more about the tendencies of INFJs in terms of the qualities the left/right brain thing uses. Hard to resist once I get a bit intrigued by something:)
It would probably make sense to talk about how creative vs. analytical you tend to be. IMHO that part just gets obfuscated by the erraneous focus on left/right brain.

As you no doubt can tell, I tend to err on the analytical side :tongue: For what it's worth, I tend to score L55/R45 or 50/50 in these tests. Except when I'm drunk* or sleep deprived...

*I'm never drunk.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have some protest against this particular test. While it was nice how they included the audio and visual aspects to it, there were problems with several, such as the first question:

What subjects do you prefer?

· Math or similar academic classes
· Music or similar art classes

It's been shown that math and music are inextricably linked in the brain. Which makes sense because music is basically math.
Students who pursue music do better in math, and vice versa.

Some other arts, such as dancing, rely on kinesthetic ability, which is a whole different area of the brain.
Art doesn't live in one area of the brain, art can come from any side, including analytical skills. It just depends on the kind of artistic manifestation of vision one is talking about.

Personally, I loved Mr. Monks rendering of a banana :cool:

Okay, but as for my results... on this test I got:

76% left brained
24% right brained

On questions such as the first one, I had to go with the "math and similar academic subjects", for the sake of the "academic subjects" ... because I didn't really enjoy music or art classes, but I also didn't enjoy math.
I loved all things to do with the written word, however.

Sorry to be a party pooper :(

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Definitely right brain. Actually I already kind of knew it before taking this test. I have always failed math when I was in high school last time, how left brain can I possibly be? :laughing:

Anyway the test gave me 60% right brain and 40% left brain. Not surprising, as my favorite subjects in school have always been art and languages.

As a right-brained person, I actually find it easier to think in images than in words.

When I look at the clouds in the sky for example, I don't really view those clouds as clouds, but instead I'll see a bunch of animals floating in the sky.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
53 / 47. I'm perfectly satisfied with this score since I'm not a robot nor a fairy. I'm a robot-fairy... sounds like cyberpunk or shadowrun lol. I would be interested how other 15 personalities score if they're balanced or more on the one side if there is any relation.

- Do you have any digital wishes to come true?
- New GPU !

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be interested how other 15 personalities score if they're balanced or more on the one side if there is any relation.

Yes it would be interesting, I was debating whether to post similar polls/thread in the other types' forums as well, but can't decide...perhaps just do a few others? (to get a variety of functions or something else, maybe see F doms vs T doms for instance). The left/right brain thing might not be so well received, which is fine (I personally don't believe it either), but it's an easy way to look at those two contrasting aspects of personality (analytical vs artistic and so forth) that already has tests and such. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Fundamental Nature of the MBTI

I wonder if some unhealthy individuals were more one sided for example or Si/Ni/Fe/Te vs Se/Ne/Fi/Ti.

That could explain some INFJ with 60 left 40 right. Stronger Ni - Fe and weaker Ti - Se or more developed shadow functions. Maybe there is relation with age, for example 0-20 would be stronger with Ni - Fe and 20+ would start to develop right side when starting phase III. It would be even more freaky if everyone with 60+ right brained was actually... a leftie.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The left/right brain thing is a pop culture myth.

"I'm disappointed with some aspects of civilization. One is our unending urge to bypass subtlety of character, thought, and expression and just categorize people ... If you want to understand who and what a person is, have a conversation with him. I'm brained. Not right brained or left brained. I have a brain."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Nothing like an arrogant physicist always trying to shatter other theories in which they know nothing of.

9,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Neuroscientists agree with him.
That is a broad statement.
I'm not supporting whether it actually exists, I am actually clueless on the subject matter. It just seems like kind of a lame sentiment when everyone quotes him on topics that aren't even in his field. It actually sounds to me like he was approaching his view from a more philosophical POV than a scientific one.
sorry its just a pet peeve of mine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Left Brain 40%:
Analytical
Rational
Objective
Symbolic
Math
Digital
Order

Right Brain 60%:
Instinct
Art
Emotion
Imaginatory
Memory
Creative
Music

makes sense o_O, i expected more on the right

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I came across this, from the author of some online MBTI related articles whose descriptions of INFJs I found to be mostly very fitting and true to me at least. ....

And what do you think of the above description? Does the idea that INFJs are mostly in between for right and left brain feel like a true/likely description?

Don't know. I'd expect that an INFJ will adjust Left/Right brain activity to the current situation, problem, puzzle, game, etc.. If there is some 'nothing of particular interest' default state, perhaps it would be drifting around within 10% of an even split.

As for the 'test', a lot seems to depend upon how one approaches it. Just the fact that it's a ~Test~ could push one into Left brain analytical thinking. But, if it's a kind of a ~fun quiz~, then, thinking will incline more to Right brain.

Anyway, this morning it looks like I'm mostly in a Right brain state of mind.

...........Happy June Days!

.......SiFan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts