Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Definitely right

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I don't think it's totally a myth, because the language centers are usually on the left side (broca's/ wernicke's area), so there are differences in the hemispheres-- not everything is symmetrical-- but on the other hand, if you're left-handed you might have brocas/wernickes on the right side! :O

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I don't think it's totally a myth, because the language centers are usually on the left side (broca's/ wernicke's area), so there are differences in the hemispheres-- not everything is symmetrical-- but on the other hand, if you're left-handed you might have brocas/wernickes on the right side! :O
Was wondering about that, too. A good reference is the article Right, Left, Right, Wrong! - Handedness and the Brain.

Going back to around the mid 1800's, Marc Dax and Paul Broca pretty well concluded that handedness tends to indicate a specialized hemisphere on the brain's opposite side, so that a right-handed person probably has a left-hemisphere language specialization, and vice versa-- i.e. the situation would be reversed for a left-handed person.

Despite some contrary indications for left-handers, the idea persisted up to the 1960s when selective anaesthetizing of just one side of the brain made it possible to localize functions and testing could indicate that the mirror image situation for left-handers might not hold.

In fact, after the work of Springer & Deutsch, Damasio & Damasio, and others in the 1990s, we now know that, although about 95% of right-handers do have left-hemisphere dominance for language functions, only around 19% of left-handers have right-hemisphere language dominance, with another 20% or so processing language functions in both hemispheres [....] the findings all suggest that, perhaps unexpectedly, some 60% - 70% of left-handers process language in the left hemisphere, just like right-handers! Indeed, around 93% of all people have left hemisphere language dominance.
ref. the article

So, yes; some left-handers may have right-hemisphere language dominance; but, mostly not.

Kind of a surprise to discover. Thanks for bringing up the question, Charlie!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Left Brain 56%
Rational
Symbolic
Order
Digital
Math
Analytic
Objective

Right Brain 44%
Imagination
Music
Memory
Creative
Instinct
Emotion
Art

Almost balanced.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Although the left-brain/right-brain thing is largely a myth, there is something in it, given that there are just parts of the brain that perform certain tasks. Someone might spend more time with certain areas of the brain.

On the other hand, that would be like watching how somebody uses their house and upon observing that they spend more time in their bedroom than in their living room, stating it's a 'bedroom-house'.
Therefore I'd say that terms like 'left-brain' and 'right-brain' don't say anything about your abilities, just your preferences. If it would be a thing, it tells you how you use your brain, not what it is like.

That said, the brain just doesn't have such a strict ordering in left and right. Some area's happen to be in the left hemisphere and others on the right, but those sides aren't emotion vs. reason or creativity vs. logic. Those ideas came up as the first theories and they somehow rooted into the common speech. It is however a great simplification that does a great disservice to the enormously complex thing that is in our heads. It's just not all that simple.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Dam I'm 63/37. Fairly heavy lefty
I feel like my lack of right brain usage indicates something somewhat unhealthy about me as an INFJ lol.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm left brain. 76% left brain; 24% right-brain.

Left Brain Results in the following order:
1. Digital
2.Rational
3.Order
4.Objective
5.Symbolic
6. Analytic
7.Math

Right Brain Results
1. Emotion
2.Imagination
3.Music
4.Creative
5.Memory
6.Art
7.Instinct

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Honestly, I don't even see a difference between my creative and analytical side. Both feed each other and are inseparable to me. I'm pretty sure that anyone that's only trying to speak to one of the two sides of this equation is doing themselves a great disservice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
here's my results:
80% left brain
20% right brain

For left brain it says: Digital, rational, order, objective, symbolic, analytic, math
and right brain says: emotion, imagination, music, creative, memory, art, instinct

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got 70% Left and 30% Right.

Left
  • Digital
  • Rational
  • Order
  • Objective
  • Symbolic
  • Analytical
  • Math