Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say... maybe on this forum (or anywhere else, really):
Are you more likely to believe in a person's self-typing or to believe in your own impressions of how this person is? How do you feel when your impressions about this person's behavior are not compatible with how they type themselves?

I'm in a middle ground where I try to understand a person's self-typing and understand where they came from when they self-typed as they did, but still give more credit to my own perceptions than I do to whatever this person says about themselves.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
I believe other people's self typing. Sometimes I might really wonder why they see themselves in that way, but I don't like to assume I know anyone more than they know themselves.

·
Registered
INTP
4,230 Posts
When I'm surprised at someone's self-typing (presumably they did a test at some point), I just admit I was wrong. I regard it as a reality check and learning opportunity.

For example, I thought my neighbor was INTP. He told me he was INFP. Okay, so now I know more about both INTP and INFP.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
766 Posts
I generally take people's word on how they type themselves. It is certainly takes less effort on my part.
For Ni doms, I do get a little suspicious (since they are easily the most over-represented mistype), but then I generally move on. You are bound to see more of those types on the internet anyway, so it's all fair game.

It is only when people are clearly relying on stereotypes of the certain type they are trying to represent, when I start to assess them myself. Examples of this include INTJs who go out of their way to portray themselves as "cold-hearted masterminds", or INFJs who want others to see them as "empaths".

But it's not malicious or anything; if I can come up with a more accurate result, why not do it?
Of course, I'll keep it to myself out of respect. Outside of those scenarios, it isn't my business.

Reactions: Aiwass

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
5,236 Posts
I tend to become slightly suspicious if someone types themselves as an Ni-dom (INFJ or INTJ) then proceeds to behave stereotypically or as a very negative impression of an INFJ/INTJ. Otherwise, I tend to believe someone's self-typing or if they were typed via consulting then I'd be very inclined to believe their arrived at MBTI lettering. Although I would recommend most people stick to self-typing unless they're having a legitimately difficult time coming to a self-type. Hiring a consultant can be expensive and if you're only typing yourself then it won't be worth it.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Depends on the model.
  • MBTI - the self-type literally is the only type, it's completely subjective and your opinion of someone's type doesn't have anything to do with their type. The self-type is accurate.
  • Jungian - my own typing of others, people can't really see themselves too well, they mistype themselves, often as the complete opposite type - we have to consider the shadow etc with this, Jungs theories expand out infinitely larger than the 16 types - on the flip-side, I'm aware other peoples typings of me are more accurate than my own, at least from their perspective. ;)
  • Objective Personality - this comes from a similar angle to the Jungian one except I have no choice but to rely on the typings that have been reached by multiple other people - this might include myself, might not, but what's important is that the typing has been arrived at by individuals in a blind-testing environment, the subjects' perception of themselves is completely irrelevant, as is my own individual perception of the subject - unless it's being compared to other peoples perceptions of the subject. In these comparisons, I can see whether my perception stacks up with the wider collectives perspective, or not - and the type of a person is based on what most people (not including the subject themselves) have them typed as. So this one is neither a belief in the subjects self-typing, nor a belief in my own impressions of their type, it's more about trust in an intersubjectively sourced data field.

Reactions: Aiwass

·
Registered
ENFJ 2w3 7w6 8w9 sx/so — The Free Spirit —
3,333 Posts
Well I assume they would know themselves better than I do, I'd have to be pretty arrogant to think I did.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I believe they believe what they are. If that changes, then they have first-hand knowledge of something I don't. People with the same type can be very different, but I don't know if it's because they're mistyped, if there's something going on that's influencing their behaviour, if they're presenting themselves in some way to be contrary, or they're just having fun. So, I'll just take them as they are, as individuals.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Let's be honest here. Most of the people don't necessarily have an accurate view of themselves in some aspects of their selves, which is the reason why things such as Barnum Effect, Dunning Kruger effect works. But then again, neither do we necessarily know others all that well beyond surface level. When we try to look beyond surface level, the interpretations actually can be different(this can depend on several factors) and therefore it is questionable whether our interpretation is accurate or not really accurate. Most of the people do show their real selves, but ,only after deep bonding takes place between them(some of them even hide it after such bond has taken place), and therefore we know most of the people only by their persona which they show to us in reality. But I guess some of us can guess that when we meet someone, as in have a hunch when someone isn't being real. Anyways based on all that, I would rather answer that it depends on several factors, each people are an individual case for example their overall honesty,closeness in relationship, etc. So based on that, for some people, I would support their interpretation of themselves, for others, probably I would stick to my interpretation of them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will consider the other opinion and will weight my impression against it and if I can't see them as the type at all I will argue.

They might not know enough or misunderstand so I want to make sure and teach them so they type themselves correctly. It's specifically the case when someone typed themselves with an online test. The tests were giving me all kinds of types depending on my mood and life situation so they are not dependable and the descriptions you read after a test are full of confirmation bias. One must understand the theory behind it to properly type themselves. A test and 10 minutes reading won't suffice.

I am OK with changing my impression as long as I know they gave it enough thought and can explain their point. However most people out there are not really into personality types and will go with the first result a test gave them, without understanding a thing.

If I have to choose between test typing vs my own impression I trust my impression. If it's proper research vs my impression I trust their research. Unless its obviously a make-believe.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I go back and forth on this. Sometimes I get a very strong feeling that someone is mistyped and I end up trying to basically prove that they're some other type (all just for my own research, I don't tend to bother other people with this unless they ask for it). Sometimes I like to state things I know to be true about a type to challenge their beliefs though. Any good typing should be able to stand up to facts from outside.
Other times I see that they have thought about things rationally and I use their self-typing to challenge my own assumptions about a certain type. I have discovered many, many flaws in how I assumed types could be due to accepting some people's typing of themselves.

Generally though I try not to bother other people with this kind of stuff. If someone has arrived at a certain typing, it's not reasonable to expect them to just change their mind because some random dude on the internet tells them otherwise. I also have to keep telling myself that I'm just as fallible as anyone else when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Finally: what people often forget is that people tend to come off completely differently online, compared to how they are outside of that. Judging people by a few snippets of text that might not even be representative of who they really are is actually really problematic. That's the most important reason not to bother people when you think they're wrong about their type. You probably don't know enough to really know who they are.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Not picking on anyone, but Objective Personality is, in my opinion, complete trash. It's not anywhere near scientific and the creators of it are akin to cult leaders.

Anyone who wants a fair critique of OP, check this out: A Critique of Objective Personality.

Nothing against anyone here, I just find it my sole duty to dispel any myth or idea that OP is anything close to a "model". I don't, however, question anyone's OP typing. I just question their critical thinking skills. 😕

·
Registered
LSI-H - 6w5 sp/sx - ISTJ
141 Posts
🤔 neither.. get typed professionally or GTFO. With that said MBTI cannot be taken seriousy.. In as far as my interaction with ppl on the forum I always consider everyone mistyped, unless serious & professional effort was invested in figuring it out.. CAPT.org

Personally I'm ok with knowing only my socionics and enneagram type, the MBTI type is a "best guess" based on both.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I assume they would know themselves better than I do, I'd have to be pretty arrogant to think I did.
Just to make it clear, I agree; assuming I know someone better than they know themselves would be pretty arrogant.

But this isn't what happens. Most of the times, I agree with how a person view themselves. What I disagree with is their interpretation of the theory (Jung, MBTI or whatever). Generally, my disagreements in typing don't come because I disagree with someone about who they are, but because I disagree with someone's interpretation of the theory/interpretation of how certain type should behave.

Reactions: Phil

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,447 Posts
Lol, no. I don't care what people say they are - there are specimen(s) more skilled at typing others than someone is at knowing themselves. Do psychologist(s) take people who "self-diagnose" themselves seriously? No. Psychologists' diagnoses are typically thorough and flip/flop between pattern and observation, etc.. before solidifying someone with a diagnoses, I do not see why we give lenience to typology. What someone says is not a fact. We should not take anything people say as fact. I don't see why we have to take someone(s) feelings into consideration when they are clearly wrong and do not know MBTI.

The way I see it is, if a specimen does not sufficiently know MBTI or how Typology work(s), yet type themselves, it is perfectly reasonable to assume they cannot reliability type themselves, thus take their self-typing at face value. We do not do this for other parts of psychology. Calling it arrogant/rude/mean, et al is just appealing to unnecessary stuff. There are many specimens that know 0 about MBTI typing themselves through a weak test. I comfortably assume each and every one of them are mistyped.

·
Registered
INTJ
502 Posts
INTJs stats are increasing in numbers as per latest MBTI manual.

They are all INTJs in the sub. Otherwise how are we going to take over every single fields such as science, art, psychology, sport, education etc..

I don't care. Call yourself whatever you want, it makes zero difference to me.
Actually Roslyn might also be INTJ.

·
Registered
ENTP | 7w6 | so/sx
638 Posts
Seconding all the "mix of both" comments. Lots of Fi-doms love their NiTe brethren (looking at the IxFP who wants to be an INTJ...) and it's pretty typical for us to misrepresent ourselves, but at the same time--who are you to assume you know that person better than they know themselves?

There's a big grey area here. But at the same time I don't really feel inclined to put effort into typing someone unless I know them well or if I preface that it's just for fun. Out of all of my friends, I only have my two closest friends typed with a degree of what I believe is accuracy...and even then, I dunno if I'm right. I can guess and parse at my intuition but in the end they might process information in a vastly different way than I think they do. (Friends are ESFJ and ESTP ftr)

·
Registered
112 Posts
As for what you said about your vision of a type being discordant with the vision of the other person, I'll be listening to the other person after a while because they're no way I know everything about the subject, especially for the functions I don't use. But even with people my own type. I clearly use Fi very differently that say an E2 or a So-dom, so it's likely we're gonna come up with a very different idea of how an INFP should behave.

It's not like theorists even agreed on a fixed definition of the functions to begin with or of the way they interact together. The description are open and that's maybe better, in particular for dom functions who are used in a multi-faceted way.

+ I think most people are doing what they are able of doing at any given time. It's not like someone could decide on an act of will to become the most perfect version of himself/his type and make it happen.

There's still the pb of someone being stuck in a rut and beginning to believe he can't get out of here because that's just how his type is. Discourses about "As a xxxx, I'll always be unsatisfied/depressed", "I always be alienated amongst others". That's clearly a pb but I have a suspicion people doing that perfectly knows they are twisting the theory and are just venting their twisted thoughts/feelings to stop having them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Let's be honest here. Most of the people don't necessarily have an accurate view of themselves in some aspects of their selves, which is the reason why things such as Barnum Effect, Dunning Kruger effect works. But then again, neither do we necessarily know others all that well beyond surface level. When we try to look beyond surface level, the interpretations actually can be different(this can depend on several factors) and therefore it is questionable whether our interpretation is accurate or not really accurate. Most of the people do show their real selves, but ,only after deep bonding takes place between them(some of them even hide it after such bond has taken place), and therefore we know most of the people only by their persona which they show to us in reality. But I guess some of us can guess that when we meet someone, as in have a hunch when someone isn't being real. Anyways based on all that, I would rather answer that it depends on several factors, each people are an individual case for example their overall honesty,closeness in relationship, etc. So based on that, for some people, I would support their interpretation of themselves, for others, probably I would stick to my interpretation of them.
You summed it up perfectly!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts