Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before this thread dies, I thought I'd toss in a bit of clarification:

Directional Theory

You will notice the mention here (corroborating research I have found elsewhere) of the Two secretly, perhaps subconsciously seeking power. Twos are often said to have a sense of entitlement and expect special treatment by having warmed their ways into the good graces of others, particularly powerful others. Twos are also often described as wanting to be "the power behind the throne". This causes me to hypothesize that Twos are more inclined to be attracted to powerful individuals with a subtle (and not necessarily consciously realized) desire to enjoy the benefits of this power through ingratiating themselves with these individuals as one of their more base defense mechanisms.

On the other hand, Twos are notorious for their nurturing nature. They are often referred to as "The Helpers", and are described as having "a need to be needed". This suggests that Twos may end up being dependent on those who need them. An explanation for this contradiction is what I meant to elucidate in this thread. Twos, do you find yourself more interested in ingratiating yourself to the strong, those you deem worthy of your charms, or are you more interested in helping those who need your help, who often include the weak and the broken?

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
I actually search for a combination. After all, a strong leader can also be a broken, weak person. At this point, I don't know how I'd choose. In the past, I have gone for needy people only, and it didn't really work out well for me. Nurturing someone who is broken, helping them become powerful again, is an interesting experience. The hope is that when they're strong enough again, they will take care of you as well. Being the power behind the throne is very enticing, as well as advantageous. I am a very strong person in my own right, so I've always aspired to find someone who is more powerful than I am, someone who needs me as I need them.

It sounds impossible, doesn't it? To want to find someone who is broken, yet still powerful. Such a contradiction. I found it in a type 6 ENFJ. :3

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
I actually search of a combination. After all, a strong leader can also be a broken, weak person. At this point, I don't know how I'd choose. In the past, I have gone for needy people only, and it didn't really work out well for me. Nurturing someone who is broken, helping them become powerful again, is an interesting experience. The hope is that when they're strong enough again, they will take care of you as well. Being the power behind the throne is very enticing, as well as advantageous. I am a very strong person in my own right, so I've always aspired to find someone who is more powerful than I am, someone who needs me as I need them.

It sounds impossible, doesn't it? To want to find someone who is broken, yet still powerful. Such a contradiction. I found it in a type 6 ENFJ. :3

I don't have much to post, but I had to say wow, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually search for a combination. After all, a strong leader can also be a broken, weak person. At this point, I don't know how I'd choose. In the past, I have gone for needy people only, and it didn't really work out well for me. Nurturing someone who is broken, helping them become powerful again, is an interesting experience. The hope is that when they're strong enough again, they will take care of you as well. Being the power behind the throne is very enticing, as well as advantageous. I am a very strong person in my own right, so I've always aspired to find someone who is more powerful than I am, someone who needs me as I need them.

Would you mind elaborating on this? I can understand Eights' and Fives' pursuit of power, but Twos' I don't entirely understand. I'd greatly appreciate a fuller explanation behind Twos' attraction to power and powerful people.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Twos, do you find yourself more interested in ingratiating yourself to the strong, those you deem worthy of your charms, or are you more interested in helping those who need your help, who often include the weak and the broken?

The second, as long as it doesn't require heavy emotional investment. I am interested in helping them, as long as it only requires me to give a little nudge and encouragement or lend up a hand to help them get on their feet. I get frustrated when I see people who expect me to help/support them, when they themselves aren't even helping themselves get stronger.

It makes logical sense to ingratiate myself to those in power. But I am weary of those who have too much power, and don't like the idea of going "under" someone and compromising myself to fit into someone else's plans, especially because the powerful tend not to have other people's best interest at heart. I'm merely a pawn to them and I know that as soon as they deem me unnecessary, I can and will be killed off. Still, I'm diplomatic enough to keep things cordial and maintain a false sense of close rapport with them, so they won't see me as dangerous, and let me be. In a weird way, I consider all powerful people to be potential enemies, because of how much power one person has, and like they say, keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the needy

I'm most attracted to the needy,.... now
i learned my lesson by being attrected to the broken leader. you end up being the one hiding in their shadow holding them up.
I have this thing about being invisible.... it bums me out and i'm tired of it. i wish someone could really see me for me, and like me for it. not because of who i am with.

:sad:

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
Would you mind elaborating on this? I can understand Eights' and Fives' pursuit of power, but Twos' I don't entirely understand. I'd greatly appreciate a fuller explanation behind Twos' attraction to power and powerful people.
Hmmm. My attraction to power has a lot to do with safety and a naturally submissive nature. I need someone who makes me feel safe, who makes me feel protected. It's beyond physical, I definitely don't mean I'm attracted to football player looking men or anything. A man needs to be strong mentally for me to be interested. Someone intelligent, has common sense and has essentially been to hell and back. Typically, it takes a lot of bad life experiences to become mentally stronger than I am. Basically, I need someone who is as powerful as I am, or more. Hopefully more, because as I mentioned, I'm submissive, but I would never accept a weak leader.

Beyond that, I can't really explain it, except I like the idea of being the strength behind a great leader, empowering them to do better.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Twos, do you find yourself more interested in ingratiating yourself to the strong, those you deem worthy of your charms, or are you more interested in helping those who need your help, who often include the weak and the broken?

The second, as long as it doesn't require heavy emotional investment. I am interested in helping them, as long as it only requires me to give a little nudge and encouragement or lend up a hand to help them get on their feet. I get frustrated when I see people who expect me to help/support them, when they themselves aren't even helping themselves get stronger.

It makes logical sense to ingratiate myself to those in power. But I am weary of those who have too much power, and don't like the idea of going "under" someone and compromising myself to fit into someone else's plans, especially because the powerful tend not to have other people's best interest at heart. I'm merely a pawn to them and I know that as soon as they deem me unnecessary, I can and will be killed off. Still, I'm diplomatic enough to keep things cordial and maintain a false sense of close rapport with them, so they won't see me as dangerous, and let me be. In a weird way, I consider all powerful people to be potential enemies, because of how much power one person has, and like they say, keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
But are you certain you're a Two?:laughing:

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
The compatibility thread says 8's and 2's are pretty good together. Also, apparently 8's and 2's start to look more like one another as they mature. The 8 becomes more caring, the 2 becomes more self-something (fill in the blank here cuz I don't fully understand twos).

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
Like others have said, I'm more attracted to a combination of the two. I like to feel needed, so I seek contact with those who fulfill that for me. This is mostly a temporary thing, though. I gravitate toward powerful people because they have what I don't. I feel like I need their approval and want to work my way into their favor. Again, this usually doesn't last. My most solid relationships are formed outside of these tendencies, and I think it works best this way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Personally, i'm attracted to the weak and broken. It's that need to be needed thing. But now im really weary and try to stay away from such people due to bad experiences, but its almost impossible! One time, i invested a lot (emotionally) in helping this guy in healing and getting back on his feet. Along the way, i got dependent and addicted to the feeling of being needed. But once he was alright, he no longer needed me and i think i died (it felt like that anyway). It took me a long time to get over that... I've never been attracted to those in power, sure maybe a little but very rarely. Maybe because i don't want to feel inferior, i'm not very sure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With an interest in nursing, it seems I've set my life to devoting myself to the needy. I have a strong desire to do everything I can to make the needy less needy. As for helping the powerful... I don't have a disdain for the powerful, but it's difficult for me to click with anybody who isn't humble. At the same time. I know how fun it is to be in the good graces of somebody with power over something or has a lot of something. However, whenever I have any say in something like that, a powerful person's life or excess of goods, I pass it or the influence onward to the needy more often than not.
I'd say mostly focused on those who actually need help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm attracted to people that I see as having an inner strength and lots of potential. These people have usually been in a time of need (no place to live, no job, just experienced great loss or hardship).
I have a need to try and help people find their happiness again - to be that boost to get them back on track.
This usually backfires in my face.

Reactions: leadintea

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
For friendships, I always seek out the needy. I've never had a romantic partner but I am very much attracted to powerful individuals. There's a part of me that doesn't think I can have a fulfilling and healthy relationship if I only take care of them the entire time.

Reactions: perennialurker

·
Registered
311 Posts
The two that I know was attracted to my brokenness...Which is ironic, because I was trying to use it subtly as a way to make him lose interest in me. It backfired, and now he wants to show me that his love is sufficient for me and will make me happy and fulfilled. However, I don't think he would have been attracted to me had he not seen the kind of willpower and "inner strength" I have. I do think he's trying to use his "love" to unlock potential in me. Heh.

Reactions: yippy

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
I just want to help the people who are present in my life and can use my help/support. Simple as that. If they happen to be powerful people, I'll help, and if they happen to be weak and needy I'll help too.

However, truth be told, if a powerful person and a weak/needy person came to me for help at the same time and I would only have time to help one of them I would probably help out the weaker person.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like powerful, intelligent people because on some level I am trying to make up for something I deep down feel I'm lacking or feel insecure about. It's weird I almost put them on a pedestal, give them everything I have and feel completely empty in the end. When I was dating I found the needy attractive at times, but I found they confused my kindness with weakness and I would run when they started taking advantage.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
2 fixer, and I would definitely say needy, to the point where I have seduced people with suicidal ideation and abuse victims because I wanted to rescue them, have easy access to vulnerability and be able to pamper them without them becoming spoiled. I don't mind emotional dependence or clingyness. hell, I thrive on that shit

The compatibility thread says 8's and 2's are pretty good together.
that's a terrible pairing. 2s and 8s are both power seeking. the 2 would try to covertly wrap his/her talons around the 8's emotions. the 8 would smell it and retaliate

Also, apparently 8's and 2's start to look more like one another as they mature.
agreed. this has a lot to do with subtypes (Sp 8 and Sp 2 could not look more different, but Social 8 and Social 2 can look almost identical)

The 8 becomes more caring, the 2 becomes more self-something (fill in the blank here cuz I don't fully understand twos).
both healthy 2s and healthy 8s have a good balance of caring and protectiveness with "getting theirs". perhaps this is what you mean (not that you'll be able to answer :tongue: )

Reactions: ster
1 - 20 of 24 Posts