Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sevens are supposed to be multi-talented. That's actually one of the things that tipped me off that I was indeed a 7. It's like there is not a single solitary thing I can't do, on my first try, without putting much effort into it. Not to brag! I make a lot of people angry that I can do this. I'm convinced I played a huge (unintentional) role in terminating my sister's lifelong career in horseback riding when I jumped on one day and magically knew how to control the horse.

I maintain it's because I do things for fun, without thinking too much about them, not due so much to any innate gift. On the times when I "try too hard" (it happens when I try to play sports) all my gifts go out the window...and then I get upset and stop trying. I think the key to "talent" is enjoyment. At least for a 7.

Anyone relate?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Sevens are supposed to be multi-talented. That's actually one of the things that tipped me off that I was indeed a 7. It's like there is not a single solitary thing I can't do, on my first try, without putting much effort into it. Not to brag! I make a lot of people angry that I can do this. I'm convinced I played a huge (unintentional) role in terminating my sister's lifelong career in horseback riding when I jumped on one day and magically knew how to control the horse.

I maintain it's because I do things for fun, without thinking too much about them, not due so much to any innate gift. On the times when I "try too hard" (it happens when I try to play sports) all my gifts go out the window...and then I get upset and stop trying. I think the key to "talent" is enjoyment. At least for a 7.

Anyone relate?

Heheh, I do. At least I think I should. Other people tell me I'm multi-talented, I haven't really thought of being anything extraordinary... But I think the variety of my skills is the thing here.

This must be boring to read but let's list what issues I've had... Well, I've been skilled at learning in general, I was great at school and ended up getting two very valuable and hard to get majors. Maths, languages, theoretical subjects are all quite easy for me. And I'm skilled at sports, handcraft, arts, cooking etc. too. I've always been very good at sports and exceptionally good, even natural talent, at (air gun) shooting and ice-hockey. I try different things, learn quickly and can do many things very well but keep changing to something else without really trying to be a master, shame yes...

One of the worst areas for me is probably music. I'm more creative than talented really. I love music but cannot sing. The only thing I have is some kind of sense of rhythm. I wish I had tried playing drums when I was young.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts

Anyone relate?
I identify with this really well, and I agree with the bolded statement. I don't have to try very hard to be good at whatever task I'm taking on. I find something to enjoy about everything which means I'm not usually over-thinking in the least. I think this has to do with confidence and fearlessness. Self-doubting is not a word anyone would use to describe me. I don't have to try very hard because I don't psyche myself out. I just do it (whatever it is), observe for myself where there is room for improvement, and build myself up to a level of perfection. It's just what I do :p

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
I agree that enjoyment and fun are the key elements. I can draw and paint and crochet and I do embroidery and sew. I am willing to try new things. I have made jewelry and I've tried knitting, as well. I like to sing and play the piano. I sing in a variety of choral groups. Normally, I sing soprano but, if the director needs another alto, I can switch parts without too much difficulty.
So I do all of these artsy sort of things. It's really about having the creative spirit and the willingness not to be afraid to make a mistake.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I agree. Although I am not as daring (the Six side of me, I'm sure!) and while I feel as though I can, in fact I know I can do something, I will always hesitate and be afraid of making a mistake. ^^'

But multi-talented? Yes. I'd like to think so, anyway. XD

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I do all of these artsy sort of things. It's really about having the creative spirit and the willingness not to be afraid to make a mistake.
Very true. The times when I've been afraid to make a mistake, I tense up and go to pieces. Fluidity is everything.

I find it funny that so many people tell me I don't seem to have any self-confidence, when the underlying theme of my life has been trying everything without fear. They're picking up on my social awkwardness, I guess--"other human beings" being an area where I fear making a mistake.

@Julia Bell I guess even the 7-wing will confer talents on you...! ;)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
WOw, i can really relate to the responses here.

Let's see:

I do photography
I make ambient electronic music
I kick ass on drums on Rock Band(yeah i got obsessed with those fake drums for a time. Still takes good timing though!)
I can figure out how to fix things on a whim(this maybe partially due to my job I've had for 8 years wherein all i do is fix things)
I write poetry
I love figuring people out(yeah i think it's a talent to figure someone out quickly and use it to your advantage socially or whatever. Thanks mbti and enneagram and books on conversational techniques. It helps a lowly shy isfp to know how to be social and a good conversationalist ;)
I have this innate talent to be a smartass if i must. Only those deserving observe this talent lol.

I think maybe for 7's it's all about trying things or just being OPEN to whatever and rolling with it. I don't know. That's how i feel about it anyways.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Yes! I learn very, very fast and I'm not afraid of mistakes. I plunge into things with full energy and I love discovering new things. I need to try everything, I usually have beginner's luck... if only I had as much perseverance as enthusiasm, I'd rule the world.

And let's face it, we're all jaw-droppingly awesome.

Reactions: RepairmanMan Man

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I also agree that "talent" has a lot to do with enjoyment. Although, I know a guy who wants to be able to draw so badly, but he just can't. He says he enjoys it, but it frustrates him because he never gets any better.

I'm a jack of all trades, master of some :)

Sing
Dance
Paint
Draw
Digital art
Cake baking
Cake artist
Play clarinet
Water sports
Scrapbooking
Creative writing/poetry
Crafting various things
Doing various elaborate braids on myself...

Lots of stuff :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I identify with this really well, and I agree with the bolded statement. I don't have to try very hard to be good at whatever task I'm taking on. I find something to enjoy about everything which means I'm not usually over-thinking in the least. I think this has to do with confidence and fearlessness. Self-doubting is not a word anyone would use to describe me. I don't have to try very hard because I don't psyche myself out. I just do it (whatever it is), observe for myself where there is room for improvement, and build myself up to a level of perfection. It's just what I do :p
I am the exact same way, except with singing. For some reason, I have severe stage fright and I doubt myself in singing, yet it's probably the talent I possess that I am the best at. I am aware of the fact that I can sing, yet I'm terrified that I suck...Wtf?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had problems choosing a career path because of it. I pick up things easily and I have the mindset that I can achieve anything I want to do.. just left me with wondering what it was I wanted to focus on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts