Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been pondering the amount of time I spend thinking about and obsessing over certain things and can't imagine it's normal, but I wonder if it's an ENFP thing-- I know it must be to an extent. Whether it's about a certain guy, or a certain thing that happened that day, I will constantly be going over it in my mind, thinking about it, thinking about what could happen, etc. over and over again to the point where I don't get anything done because I'm thinking too much. It's like I have a one track mind, but it's only for a little while until I start thinking about something else in the same fashion.

And I treat my interests the same way - I'll be ultra passionate and into something for a short period of time, then move onto something else, but while I'm into it, I'm REALLY into it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Shout out: You're not alone!

I always have a man to obsess over, currently my ISTP "boyfriend", and when I'm not obsessing over a male (highly rare, by the way) I am obsessing over methods or certain emotions. I fantasize all the time, and can easily spend 3 hours of the day thinking about a boy.

I really shouldn't do it. It's unproductive. Then I start obsessing over my nonproductiveness, making schedules and plans that... just sit there. :dry:

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
oh yeah totally. i think i've been in this forum long enough to say that this is an ENFP thing- especially the part about working in bursts of energy.

although when it comes to girls i try to keep my mind off them as much as possible. you get the yips (shout out to all "how i met your mother" fans out there..) and i'm at my best when i'm spontaneous, rather than having thought of every eventuality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup. If I took a picture of my bedroom, you'd be able to nail every single obsession I've had in the last year. I have a rack of like 100 nailpolish on my wall... I have sterilite organizers of hundreds of bath and body products... my makeup stash is insane... my closet is overflowing... my dogs have every toy imaginable... I have sex-related stuff everywhere hidden away...

Yeah. Be it people, or stuff, or whatever... obsession kinda comes with the territory. It lasts maybe a month or two for me, then I'm on to something else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'll have 'phases' in regards to interests -- but not obsessive.

i really only obsess over the person i like.
the obsession extends to all aspects to my life.
physically mentally and all other -lys

·
Registered
272 Posts
i can somehow relate to the first post but it often happen when i am anxious and i usually think too much due to ADHD really fun to see im not alone in this web of thoughts

but for ENFP is it coming from anxiety or is it natural ?

thx Sirdude for telling me take a look at the enfp forum you sure interesting folks im curious about you :D

·
Registered
603 Posts
i can somehow relate to the first post but it often happen when i am anxious and i usually think too much due to ADHD really fun to see im not alone in this web of thoughts

but for ENFP is it coming from anxiety or is it natural ?

thx Sirdude for telling me take a look at the enfp forum you sure interesting folks im curious about you :D
It is highly natural... however like Linnifae said, anxiety can make it worsen.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Here is an example that happens quite a lot. When I hear about or read about a book that sounds incredibly interesting, or I read the beginning of a series and end up really liking it, I HAVE TO have the books or the next volumes like THAT MINUTE.

I used to throw tantrums as a kid to get my parents to take me to the library. I once made them take me 30 minutes out of the way on vacation to get the rest of the books in the Fingerprints series which I was reading.

As I've mentioned before, I am a recovering heroin addict, and that has a lot to do with obsession too, so I kinda trace the personality trait way back into my youth.

·
Registered
272 Posts
im use to istj being sarcastic and in my head it not normal to declare straight off "i once was a drug addict" i mean arent you scared that people judge you or think of you as the stereotypical drug addict ?

(sorry if that was to harsh)

·
Registered
248 Posts
im use to istj being sarcastic and in my head it not normal to declare straight off "i once was a drug addict" i mean arent you scared that people judge you or think of you as the stereotypical drug addict ?

(sorry if that was to harsh)

It wasn't too harsh. It's a natural question to ask, especially coming from an ISTJ. Many ENFPs aren't afraid to be judged and are very open about the events in their lives. The emotion behind these events are a completely different story. I'm told that I am very logical for an ENFP because I can calm my mind and think things through on that level, and I can understand where you are coming from.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my obsessions.

I've gone through obsessions with Psychology, various types of Science, Quantum Physics, drugs(no, I didn't do them), 2012 theories, Interior Design, saving money, Vegetarianism, various musical instruments, genres of music, Politics, The Mighty Boosh, Irish dance, the 90's, etc...

There are also countless things I only researched for a day or two, but I do become immersed in my curiosity of everything, and usually move on. Once I know something, I never really do anything with it. Or, if I write part of a song, I get such a flood of ideas of what I could do to the point that I can't do it at all. So I definitely understand what you're saying. Sometimes I sit in my room, thinking of what I should do, and I think about it for so long that my day goes by. I think ENFP is the worst type at coping with ADHD too, because we hate planning, and move on easily when the passion burns out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts