Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFPs like us are often difficult for other people to grasp, especially based on the first impression or two. Since people love to categorize things and each other, they may subconsciously place you in some group you don't belong. In my case, I'm often mistaken for an INTP instead. I suppose it makes sense, since I have quite a few INTP friends and we share interests. Plus, over the last few years, I've worked to develop my T(e) so that I can hold on my own in philosophical discussions, and I research everything to avoid biases, so I sometimes act like an INTP in other ways. Occasionally, I might be mistaken for an INTJ type as well.

So I'm asking you guys, are you often mistaken for another type, and if so, what?

·
Registered
422 Posts
There are those that mistake me for an ISFP, and at times I think they are right but I find myself more at home on the INFP thread somehow so I stick around here ;)

Reactions: Geoffrey

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Not many people in my entourage know about the MBTI, but those who do tend to think I'm an ENFP. The way I see it, if they know me well enough to figure out I'm an xNFP, it goes without saying I'd be comfortable enough around them, hence showing them my more childish side, which is often mistaken for extroversion in the excitement, bubbliness, and downright silliness.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
It's the same with me, @Uncouth Angel, when I've met other people who are interested in MBTI theory, they usually peg me as an INTP or an INTJ. I do have a very well-developed Te function, but I think there's also the matter of stereotypes playing into their perceptions. I think a lot of people see INFPs as unintellectual, passive and frankly kind of doofy, so when they meet an introvert who likes to debate for fun, enjoys things like epistemology and physics, and is more interested in truths than avoiding arguments, they just assume NT. I really think that it's just a misunderstanding of the way cognitive functions work though. I've seen a lot of those incorrect assumptions about INFPs on this board being made by the INFPs themselves, which irks me. Recently around here I noticed someone saying that she liked politics which was not very INFP of her, and someone else saying that intellectual attraction was probably only something that happened with NTs, both of which made me facepalm Picard style. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
917 Posts
i suspect i appear as an intx due to my hobbies/interests and even my job (IT) though i don't really know anyone that has looked into mbti (well if they have i dont know about it)

·
Registered
616 Posts
-----While I think that the difference between NT and NF is easy, I think iNtuition can look like super-smartness from an S perspective. It can also look really flaky from that perspective. However, I know more than a few NFs who have an oracle-like quality. That might explain some of the confusion.
-----I don't know if others mistake my type. No one has ever said anything.
-----It might be because no one has doubts, or it might because they're scared of what I'll say. I don't know.
-----IRL, people generally don't seem too informed or interested about it--so they have no opinion. But ask if they like this or that TV show, and then they're interested. <--that was a little unfair.

Reactions: illicit iridescence

·
Registered
373 Posts
My parents both thought I was a T, which was weird, and some of my friends thought I was an extrovert. Why does no one understand me?? Oh, that's right, I'm an INFP is why. xDDDDDD

·
Registered
353 Posts
On here I've been typed as a (in addition to INFP) ESTJ, ENFP, INFJ.
Most people, my mother especially, think I'm a T. I took that Enneagram test and I am a type 5. So maybe that's why I am not a traditional INFP? I honestly don't know if I'm an INFP. Once I have more time (in May lol), I'll look more closely at functions. Most tests I take say INFP though.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
5 is a head type, and yes it is less common than say type 4, which I think is the most common for INFP's. Oh there was this diagram in the enneagram type poll thread, showing statistics for MBTI type and enneagram ^^

I think I am often mistaking myself for INFP! xD

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most people aren't familiar with MBTI, of course, but they usually peg me as INTP when I try to explain it to them (and I purposefully refrain from telling them which type I am or which type I think they are). But it also occurs in other ways. People often mistake me for a "nerd" rather than an "artist" when I talk about my interests or somesuch. But these are mostly S types, as one might expect.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Like many others in this thread, sometimes people think im more of a thinker than a feeler. It's probably because of my background in science and medicine, which has taught me to think very analytically. I do indeed make logical decisions and can see why people mistake me for a thinker. However, despite what others see, I am actually quite the feeler and constantly struggle separating feelings from facts. It gets me into all sorts of trouble, especially during exams!
In truth, I'm probably a healthy balance between the two, which I think is good.

1,636 Posts
i get often in a situation when people describe me as logical and think i am T
thous who know me very well don't mistake me for any other type
but thous who don't mistake me for phlegmatic instead of choleric as well

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I have been mistaken for ISTJ, ISTP and ENFP, ISFP on several occasions. I still might be one of these.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I haven't encountered many who follow the MBTI but I reckon that those who do must think me an ISFP. Hell, I may even be an ISFP! I'm thinking INFX is more likely though as I find it hard to believe that I can be anything other than an Intuitive. I think that I have developed my Sensing functions over the years. Its been somewhat of a struggle but I've managed to become mediocre to good (working on being great) in visual arts. I have a visual way of thinking and I will remember the details of things at least visually. I remember sounds, texture, scents, etc too. I also have a thing of remembering important dates, birthdays, anniversaries etc. I also really like cooking and gardening. I always have a bigger ideal that I'm trying to achieve throughout all those sensing activities. I hardly do them just because I like the sensation of doing them though, which I know a lot of sensors just love doing things with their hands for the sake of it. Everything I do is done with a bigger picture ideal in mind.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Not in the specifically MBTI context, but when people find out my type they are always surprised. I think it's because I, too, have a highly logical bent and do research for a living, on the one hand, but I am also fairly upbeat and have no problem interacting with/listening to/empathizing with others, so I'm frequently pegged for an extravert. The issue is, while I don't mind telling people in general superficially obvious things about myself, like talk about my kid or how I feel about my work, I don't share any deeper feelings with anyone but a very, very few people, and I internalize everything. This actually helps me be a better teacher, weirdly, because while I emotionally empathize with my students and I am able to be friendly and outgoing with them, I am pretty personally reserved and it helps to establish a comfortable but professional relationship with them that is easy to maintain, while the extravert teachers I know are seen as "friends" by their students, not instructors.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Pretty sure most people who know typology and who know me reasonably well would guess correctly.

My psychology teacher last year, who has only a very basic knowledge of typology, guessed right. I was impressed and flattered that she understood me so well! Then again, maybe I'm easier to read than I think I am...

My mom thinks I'm an INTP, which is plausible, but that's only because she knows me very well (and I think she's a bit biased toward Ts). I probably come across as too polite and non-confrontational for most people to think I'm an INTP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts