Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick with a stomach virus and a fever and I'm absolutely pitiful, which doesn't strike me as the norm for ISTJ. I picture someone like Sela running a marathon while sick :p. I just I just let my family baby me and don't move. How about you guys?

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
I'm sick with a stomach virus and a fever and I'm absolutely pitiful, which doesn't strike me as the norm for ISTJ. I picture someone like Sela running a marathon while sick :p. I just I just let my family baby me and don't move. How about you guys?
A marathon? LOL, not quite.
The reason I keep going even if I'm sick is because I don't have a choice, and I don't have anyone but myself to take care of myself. My daughter is 19 years old (and not living at home anymore) and too wrapped up in her social life right now to care about her mom or anyone else for that matter (which I'm not upset about; I was the same way when I was 19).
Also, I can't fall behind in school; the professors have made it abundantly clear that they will cut you NO slack unless you're dead. Ditto for work; unless I'm dead, I'm expected to be here. Having said that, I don't have a "stand-up" job, so if I get to feeling REALLY bad, I can go into the common area and watch TV on the couch for a little while if need be.
Anyway, when I'm sick, I DO feel pitiful, but I just keep going anyway. No choice. It was so bad though, that last time I was sick, I went to the pharmacy to get medicine and I wasn't completely put-together. 99.999999% of the time, I refuse to leave my house unless my hair is washed and combed, and I'm dressed in an appropriate and coordinating manner. Well, I was so sick that I threw on a hat, a hoodie, and went ... in my cloud-print PAJAMA BOTTOMS. Under normal circumstances I would have been mortified to be seen out in public like that, but right then I was so sick I didn't care. I just wanted to get my medicine and get back home so I could take it and get better. :crazy:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Get well soon! :happy:

I tend to power on when I'm sick, although I haven't gotten very sick in a while. The last time that illness interrupted my schedule is when I had a tumour excised. They told me that the general anesthetic would take a week to wear off, but I was keen to go to my part-time job a couple of days later, and then back to school. Fortunately, my parents refused to let me until the requisite week was up. :blushed:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I hope you feel better very quickly.

It's not just an SJ thing...all types like to be taken care of when sick. However, that isn't always possible. ISTJ's are very likely to "suck it up" and keep going, however that does take it's toll. We are the type with the shortest life expectancy. I suspect this is primarily due to our "keep going" attitude that allows us to put off taking proper care of our health.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If I'm alone I'd mostly carry on working. If the illness is pretty serious, I'll lie in bed like a log and suffer quietly.

If I have any familial audience I'll moan, groan, demand attention, and then enjoy being coddled. :crazy:

I'm sending some good qi your way Qadosh, hope you get well soon dude.

·
Banned
160 Posts
As niss said, I "suck it up" when I am sick... I would probably have to be on my death bed before I was sick enough to skip class. My priorities are somewhat mixed up:

1. school
2. sleep
3. social life
4. health

I think the 4th should probably be the first one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like whining when I'm sick to get sympathy :laughing:. Yet when my parents ask if I want some medicine to help, I say "no thanks I just like to whine for sympathy". :crazy: :wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
lol yeah, i pretty much just 'suck it up' :blushed: i don't like physical pain, or being sick. :crying:

just this past april i fell off my bike and smashed my left knee. the first 2 weeks i had to keep the injured knee absolutely still so as to not to disturb the wound. it hurt so terribly and how i wanted to cry but i simply couldn't shed a tear. it was depressing to be immobile and my daily routine coming to a halt. the third week things improved, phew! luckily my wound healed really well.

get well soon!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I depends on how sick I am, if its a regular cold that leaves me with my nose stuffy and a sore throat for example I take whatever measures I believe will help alleviate the symptoms and keep going about my day. I would consider something like a severe headache or fever enough to sit down, stop and take some rest. In such cases I rather rest and let my body heal than push through it because I don't see much of a point continuing with daily operations with a condition like a fever or headache that would very significantly impair my ability to produce a high quality of work. It all depends on how the illness affects me though, I got a really unsightly cut this summer on my right shin that even exposed a part of my bone (first time that had ever happened) and I didn't deem that severe enough to stop my work, to add to it I took care to make sure that I applied the antiseptic creams, bandages etc. to prevent infection. In my opinion I don't view it as pitiful at all to slow things down when you are experiencing a relatively debilitating illness/ condition. I think I'd be best to do whatever you think would benefit you're body and help your recovery. I hope you recover soon, and don't beat yourself up about being sick. After all *makes up statistics* studies show that beating yourself up weakens your immune system by 67% :shocked:.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Up until about three years ago, I never would complain about being sick. I used to have at least two ear infections a year, and I was constantly sick all of the time (I had pneumonia when I was 10- that hurt me a lot in many ways). So when I was 16, I finally complained to my parents about it, and I felt so wimpy and silly for complaining about being sick- they couldn't do anything about it. But then I went to my doctor, who led me to another doctor and so on, until they found out what was wrong with me. Now, I am NEVER sick or ill (thanks to the drugs I take daily), and I know a lot better now to listen to my body and complain when there seems to be a serious problem.
So complaining can be a good thing. *shrugs*

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sickness is not very common to me thankfully. So far, it's only been a two or three colds a year at most...but I basically try to suck it up, and move on. Take my cough meds and take some extra tissues to school that day. The only odd thing I've noticed is I'm not able to focus on school near as well as I thought I could, so my grades may slip half a percent or so during my 3/4 day sick period.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Lately been dealing with coughing/congestion deal. Luckly with folks that are nurses i have a resource to turn to. At least there was no fever but the drainage and coughing at the start was rough.

When i get sick I tend to just do what i need to get better (meaning rest, fluids, meds). I dont complain or whine but i get quieter in the sense getting better is priority and whatever can be put off for a little time will be.

Reactions: niss and Sela

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just keep doing what I normally do, disregarding the fact that I am sick. I also try to do everything I can to mask it, so others don't try to help me or tell me to go home. I haven't been sick in quite some time, so I hope I am not due soon (there is a "bug" going around my town and people are dropping like flies :S).

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Shit, my dad is an ISTJ and whenever he has any sort of stomach bug he will just go in the bathroom and stay there, won't come out for a day or two. But when he is capable of working, well when HE thinks he is capable he will work, I can't remember how many times when I was little my mom would get hysterical and tell him to stop working because he was hurt or sick. His work ethic is unsettlingly inspiring.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Shit, my dad is an ISTJ and whenever he has any sort of stomach bug he will just go in the bathroom and stay there, won't come out for a day or two. But when he is capable of working, well when HE thinks he is capable he will work, I can't remember how many times when I was little my mom would get hysterical and tell him to stop working because he was hurt or sick. His work ethic is unsettlingly inspiring.
Us and ESTJ's strike me as the most driven duty fulfillers as conscience is at the heart of it. Providing for the family sounds like your fathers big issue for over the top work ethic.

I'll reference back to Niss's Will Power thread response here.
In terms of will power as in doing what you are supposed to do because you gave your word or it is what is expected that you should do this--yeah, I'd say ISTJ, as they tend to do what is expected or die in the attempt. However, in terms of digging deep within yourself and doing what you think you should do because it makes sense to you and is right for you? (think dieting, quitting smoking, adhering to a specific, self-imposed regimen of behavior) Not an ISTJ trait.
Funny how until someone depends on me or could depend on me I can't really get behind anything because it only helps myself.

Personally I do hobby time all the time during sickness, and consider myself incapable of getting real work done, as my energy always feels drained.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts