Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not prideful and prejudiced when it comes to the SJs, the Guardians, the Protectors, or what ever you want to call them. Really I'm not. They have so many valuable qualities. They have logistical extraordinaire, are safety experts, gurus of social acceptability, and many other things. Its just that...I don't really care all that much about any of the things that they care about a great deal. And I sort of grudgingly have to admit their many contributions to society. I know that I shouldn't be so. I really do appreciate them, but I have to make a conscious effort to care about their good qualities. It is not like this for me with the other temperaments or personalities. Their worth and contribution to society is effortlessly apparent to me. Indeed, I am inclined to highly value the qualities of other temperaments.

In addition to all of this, I have a history of not getting on so well with Guardians as I do with other types. They get on my nerves easily, and I get on their nerves, too. That being said, I do have some good friends who are Gaurdians, but our relationships at first were quite bumpy, and none of my most intimate friends are Guardians. I envy my Rational friends, who seem to be more amused than annoyed by most SJs and can get on with them quite cheerfully.

So, my question to my fellow Idealists, particularly the INFPs, is this: What has your experience with SJs been like? How do you get on with Guardians? Do you find yourself having difficulty in appreciating their many valuable qualities? Are you prideful and prejudiced when it comes to the most practical, most logistically inclined, most safety oriented of our species?

Oh, by the way, for any SJs reading this, I'm sorry. I love you. Truly, I do.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I get along amazing with ISTJs, however FJs not so much. I prefer STJs to SFJs if that helps you any. I don't know why but STJs don't bother me in the slightest. I agree we have basically nothing in common nor do we see the world the same way, however I feel the same way toward N/SFJs also. With STJs I can laugh at them/with them even if I think what they are saying is wooha out there, they don't take personal offense with me ever. Now with SFJs, I can't do this with this type because the F makes them too sensitive and thinks everything that is directed towards them is a personal attack much like their sister NFJ. TJs don't think that way.

SJs and I are worlds apart like being on a different planet, STJs are have a whole different attitude.

Reactions: GTG and snerf

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
What does bother me, is reading unhelpful stereotypes like "F types are too sensitive" or "J's think they are better than everyone else". It is as unhelpful as reading "All NT types have bad social skills" or whatever nonsense. But there is undoubtely some truth to the MBTI, which is why it is so well-known. Because it gives a list of precise attributes which are general markers of each type. And some types are just not meant to be best buddies with others. They don't like us and we don't like them - unless compromises can be made, in which case, all is good.

I'm not a big fan of the Guardians, ESTJs, either. They are, probably my least favourite type. But as I've said in other posts, that comment is directed against unhealthy immature ones only. Just as I don't like people of my own type or similar who are self-righteous and big-headed or have special-snowflake syndrome, no type is free from horrid, irritating people. As said above, STJs have different world goals. Our minds are worlds apart.

It's difficult because every type combination suggests issues. Who would you rather be with, someone overly emotional or someone who feels nothing? Many ESTJs in particular seem to find NF types the former while we see them as the latter, both in extreme cases. I can't say I'd want to pick between either. The former means a tumultous relationship that can never be calmed with a logical discussion and the latter is just a waste of a relationship if you feel and emote nothing.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
My stock answer for this kind of question is: I don't mind type/temperament X, but they can't treat the world as if everybody thinks that way. I think that's one of the most important takeaways you can get from something like MBTI.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have no problem with SF. But I really hate someone who is narcissistic, and self-absorbed, and force their way to mine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, it's a case-by-case basis, but I have noticed a trend.

I don't tend to get along very well with sfjs (not confirmed but my guess), which is most of my family (and some of my husband's). We can have some good times together but our minds, goals and priorities are quite different. I know I can frustrate and annoy them as well, they don't understand how I don't put priority on certain dutiful practical things, such as cleaning, as an example. I can get bored with some of the things they talk about, so at times, even if I put effort into staying present, I can disconnect and my mind drifts off. I imagine they can view this as quite rude, and not understand I really am trying very hard.

I make an effort, because they're important people to me (or my husband), but it can be difficult, to say the least.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
I respect everyone on an individual basis. It does not matter there type, It matters who they are as a human.
Very well said.

It's not as though I don't think there's any value in MBTI (especially if you get into the cognitive functions) but I have to confess that I don't like how people will be quick to generalize a specific type or temperament. SJ's seem to get the worst of it, and SP's are not far behind; from my experience anyway. But this is limiting.

If you make certain assumptions about a person because of their MBTI, then you've limited your thinking and won't appreciate the individual you're dealing with. If someone is an SJ type, that doesn't really say much of anything about their personality other than they use Si somewhere in their first two functions. That's it. Si can manifest in vastly different ways, and I think if you were to give every single SJ and honest chance, you'll find that they are often very good people well worth your time.

Reactions: Wandering Wizard

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
I don't get along well with them, but neither do they with me...so it's a mutual incompatibility thing.
My mom is ESFJ, and emotionally immature so it's really difficult to interact with her. I often feel like the S types don't value or care for "non-practical" stuff as some of them call it.

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
"F types are too sensitive" or "J's think they are better than everyone else"
What I have found about stereotypes like that is that its perpetrated by those who don't understand the other type. An NF is hardly ever going to call another NF "too sensitive." But it does point out something important: there's a communication barrier between a lot of very different types.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very well said.

It's not as though I don't think there's any value in MBTI (especially if you get into the cognitive functions) but I have to confess that I don't like how people will be quick to generalize a specific type or temperament. SJ's seem to get the worst of it, and SP's are not far behind; from my experience anyway. But this is limiting.

If you make certain assumptions about a person because of their MBTI, then you've limited your thinking and won't appreciate the individual you're dealing with. If someone is an SJ type, that doesn't really say much of anything about their personality other than they use Si somewhere in their first two functions. That's it. Si can manifest in vastly different ways, and I think if you were to give every single SJ and honest chance, you'll find that they are often very good people well worth your time.
Would you say it's wrong to notice a trend however? I've had conflicts with said people before I knew of MBTI. Though perhaps they are a bit on the unhealthy side of the spectrum (and so am I to be completely honest).

I don't discount a friendship with someone just because I suspect them to be an SFJ, for example. I wouldn't automatically assume we won't get along or think less of them. I just noticed that all the people I've had most issues with were of those types, that's all.

I do agree however that it's wrong to generalise and fall into stereotypes. I wouldn't want someone to do this to me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Very well said.

Very true, MBTI is good at recognizing patterns in cognitive functions but that doesn't mean everyone with the same type has the same personality. We all have are similarities and differences.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Would you say it's wrong to notice a trend however? I've had conflicts with said people before I knew of MBTI. Though perhaps they are a bit on the unhealthy side of the spectrum (and so am I to be completely honest).
I wouldn't say it's wrong, but I think it would be best to be careful to avoid over relying on those trends (not to imply that you do that). I've gotten along with people of all types, and I've even had conflicts (as much as I desperately try to avoid conflict :laughing:) with people of many types as well.

I could also be the one who is in the wrong, because I believe when Jung came up with the theory of the cognitive functions, the main reason for it was because of his conflict with Freud and he wanted to understand why he couldn't get along with him.

I don't discount a friendship with someone just because I suspect them to be an SFJ, for example. I wouldn't automatically assume we won't get along or think less of them. I just noticed that all the people I've had most issues with were of those types, that's all.
No, that's fair I understand.

I do agree however that it's wrong to generalise and fall into stereotypes. I wouldn't want someone to do this to me.
And this is why you have a solid head on your shoulders.

Reactions: Sturgess

·
Banned
3,936 Posts
How does one type a person if they didn't even take the test (or you have no clue about their result)?
Well, anyway. I hate people who are unwilling to even listen and consider some opinions beyond their own. Who will stay stubborn to the end, even if it outright contradicts common sense. People who are fast to jump to conclusions. People who manipulate and pressure you to achieve what they want.
I guess that would describe a stereotypical SJ? But I'm just as guilty of these things. Who isn't or wasn't at some point?
Any type becomes unhealthy the moment they become locked up in their own little world and shut off external influences fiercely.
Prejudice is stupid one way or another. It may be easier to go through the day with a worldview that is set in stone once and for all, but how much will it ruin in the end? Or even more yet - how can such life be fulfilling?

Sometimes it feels like people are trying too hard to <act> according to their type. Online at least. I'm less than trusting of "badass-hardass" ExTJ act or "100% emo" IxFPs... etc

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
What I have found about stereotypes like that is that its perpetrated by those who don't understand the other type. An NF is hardly ever going to call another NF "too sensitive." But it does point out something important: there's a communication barrier between a lot of very different types.
I completely agree - there is a communication barrier. And unless we make an effort to get past that, the only things that will define us are stupid stereotypes. It seems to me that even people on PerC do not understand what 'feeling' and 'thinking' really mean for example. Feeling does not equate to emotional, and in the same vein, thinking does not equate to incapable of emoting. My best friend is a T through and through, and she is extremely sensitive to criticism, she just hides it pretty much the same way I do so you would never know.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Indeed - a case-by-case basis.

On the whole SJs and I get along very well. I think as an e6 INFP I am pleased by their steadiness and reliability. I also love how SJs are detail-aware and straightforward. They usually have a good sense of what's going on; they tend to be good citizens and conscientious fellow humans. Personally I seem to interact easily with STJs and I seem to form really good warm relationships with SFJs.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I don't think I am, I've been married to one for 22+ years. I seriously appreciate his "gifts". But like others have said, case by case basis, is the best way to go, when humans are involved.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Guilty as charged. Often I find them amusing, but when they have authority over me we often clash.

What I find scary about SJ's is that they are so sure that their way is the best and only way. Like their "plan" is somehow better based on nothing but an imaginary superior self image.

That's what it feels like at least. Not sure if that's how they view it themselves.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts