Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this might be a cause...

While I am fine writing things... I rarely RARELY want to share. I was just thinking of blogging then I was thinking, hmmm not sure if I should post that, not sure if I am comfortable with other people knowing my true nature... It might scare them, I might have to answer their questions.
Some people have been bugging me lately about seeing my writing, and eh I dunno... I don't know if I know them well enough to show them.

Is this an Fi trait?

Now, I am not talking about sharing thoughts with a confidant, I'm talking about posting them in the public sphere.

While I want some kind of success, and think I am a natural writer more or less, I am scared of the fame, I am scared of people actually seeing it!

Very weird thoughts indeed, but I think in a moment of clarity, I just pegged it. I feel like I might write better if I could use a pen name. or create a pen name blog ... Actually, that is a REALLY good thought.. Eureka!

Sorry about that eureka there...

So now that is question part two, do you feel you can be yourself more under a pen name or anonymous handle?

·
Registered
733 Posts
yes

I delete almost everything I post, hahaha.

so much anxiety it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes

I delete almost everything I post, hahaha.

so much anxiety it's ridiculous.
I have done that also... go back in a few hours then go delete it. I'm thinking some kind of pen name, on an anonymous blog, where random people might find me... I might be better with getting some thoughts out though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yup. I intend to remain illusive on facebook. Im thinking of cancelling my account actually. The idea of sharing or even updating my status on there makes me cringe.
Just deactivated my account because of similar reasons.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm sorry, I dont know what fi is but I dont update my status or blog my thoughts because sometimes i just dont want to share things and have them be judged by others...for facebook, you write something and then people like it and stuff and if I post something near and dear and it receives no likes, thats just feels awkward. I get anxious. Glad to know others are like this lol.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry, I dont know what fi is but I dont update my status or blog my thoughts because sometimes i just dont want to share things and have them be judged by others...for facebook, you write something and then people like it and stuff and if I post something near and dear and it receives no likes, thats just feels awkward. I get anxious. Glad to know others are like this lol.
Fi is Introverted Feeling per INFP being an FiDom.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
It depends on what is motivating this. In many cases its probably Fe (and poor or inconsistent Fe at that) because often the fear is of evaluation from others ("I don't want people to think..." or "I don't want people to see me as...") Notice how the emphasis here is on other people or measures outside of yourself.

Alot of times with Fi, it really just isn't anyone else's business and that's often what motivates them to be restrained.

On the flipside inferior Te (not wanting to be seen as dumb or stupid) could be a motivator for keeping quiet too) and while we're at it dominant Fe might keep quiet just to not rock the boat. We can't just blanketly apply this to Fi or Fe.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same, I often feel very embarrassed to write anything on Facebook because I think something I say might be really stupid. I often find myself writing something and then after thinking about it for a few seconds, erasing the entire comment instead of sending it. I do this a lot. I've gotten better at being confident with my posts but I still rarely write statuses. Haven't written one since March. I just generally comment on others' statuses or walls/timelines or chat these days.

And I also have a Twitter that I've only sent 4 tweets on. Not really a big fan of publicly sharing my life with the entire world unless it's anonymous. :p

(Actually, anonymity doesn't necessarily make it easier. I sometimes have a hard time posting things on PerC, even though all y'all are pretty cool here :) . Maybe it's just a general nervousness from interacting with others? But I definitely hate it when people know who I am when I share information publicly a LOT more.)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just wondering if this might be a cause...

While I am fine writing things... I rarely RARELY want to share. I was just thinking of blogging then I was thinking, hmmm not sure if I should post that, not sure if I am comfortable with other people knowing my true nature... It might scare them, I might have to answer their questions.
Some people have been bugging me lately about seeing my writing, and eh I dunno... I don't know if I know them well enough to show them.

Is this an Fi trait?

Now, I am not talking about sharing thoughts with a confidant, I'm talking about posting them in the public sphere.

While I want some kind of success, and think I am a natural writer more or less, I am scared of the fame, I am scared of people actually seeing it!

Very weird thoughts indeed, but I think in a moment of clarity, I just pegged it. I feel like I might write better if I could use a pen name. or create a pen name blog ... Actually, that is a REALLY good thought.. Eureka!

Sorry about that eureka there...

So now that is question part two, do you feel you can be yourself more under a pen name or anonymous handle?
Your sidebar says that you are an INFJ, not an INFP, which tend to use the function Fe, not Fi. Are you questioning the J part of your profile?

Anyway, I am an INTJ with a Tertiary Fi user and I am very private on the internet. I would much rather comment on other people situations than share my private personal thoughts. I do have a Facebook and LinkedIn page but that is polished. Nothing ever goes on there that I don't mind sharing to whole world. If you look at my Facebook page, you'll think that I never have had a bad day. Most of the items I post on my newsfeed are related to politics or Football.

One of my INTJ friends has had a movie poster picture for his facebook profile for 4 years now. (And he operates much the same way in regards to personal comments on Facebook.)

I keep my personal thoughts to those close to me. Outside of that, it's all about maintaining a good public image.

I have a journal that I update from time to time but no one ever see that.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I know how you feel. My biggest concern is being judged by people. :/ People who don't know me...

Every like on a FB status of mine is like an ultra-sized hug. ^.^

·
Registered
92 Posts
I never post anymore...I think I use to...at one point... but now? psshhh
Actually! actually! I posted a status last month thanking everyone for the happy birthdays they posted on my wall. Before that the last status I posted was probably like last year because whenever I go to post a status and it asks 'whats on your mind?' I type out everything and then either go nah you probably wouldn't understand/nah no one cares and i'll probably get NO likes which makes me feel insignificant :O aaahh but realistically when I post things they either get 1 or no likes bahaha but shhh dont tell anyone that I said that. I try to save face by telling all the teeny boppers at school I never go on fb or post anything cause I just don't have the time <---- lol at my contrived pretentiousness

·
Registered
23 Posts
i use to use twitter since my best friend used it, but now not so much. I have a facebook, and go to it everyday, but never post. And when i do post, it will just be a video to a funny youtube thing, and then i'll instantly feel retarded afterwards. Like an instant guilt factor. I'll usually have 2 people hit like and i just dont see the purpose. It's made me hate my friends. The only time i do talk, is when its my birthday. I usually thank every person individually and ask them how they have been doing. I dunno if thats weird, but it's nice to hear how they are

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your sidebar says that you are an INFJ, not an INFP, which tend to use the function Fe, not Fi. Are you questioning the J part of your profile?

Anyway, I am an INTJ with a Tertiary Fi user and I am very private on the internet. I would much rather comment on other people situations than share my private personal thoughts. I do have a Facebook and LinkedIn page but that is polished. Nothing ever goes on there that I don't mind sharing to whole world. If you look at my Facebook page, you'll think that I never have had a bad day. Most of the items I post on my newsfeed are related to politics or Football.

One of my INTJ friends has had a movie poster picture for his facebook profile for 4 years now. (And he operates much the same way in regards to personal comments on Facebook.)

I keep my personal thoughts to those close to me. Outside of that, it's all about maintaining a good public image.

I have a journal that I update from time to time but no one ever see that.
I'm always questioning.

I never post anymore...I think I use to...at one point... but now? psshhh
Actually! actually! I posted a status last month thanking everyone for the happy birthdays they posted on my wall. Before that the last status I posted was probably like last year because whenever I go to post a status and it asks 'whats on your mind?' I type out everything and then either go nah you probably wouldn't understand/nah no one cares and i'll probably get NO likes which makes me feel insignificant :O aaahh but realistically when I post things they either get 1 or no likes bahaha but shhh dont tell anyone that I said that. I try to save face by telling all the teeny boppers at school I never go on fb or post anything cause I just don't have the time <---- lol at my contrived pretentiousness
I used to remove my "birthday" date on facebook about a month before it so people would not know it was my birthday as I didn't want the attention.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Haha, I always do the "remove my birthday" thing on Facebook. For whatever reason, I cringe at birthday wishes... I guess maybe part of it is because I'm always reminded of how few people really remember, how I'm not very close to anyone at all and how I never really feel like celebrating being alive. *sigh*

Anyway, as for being scared of public blogging/posting... hrmm. Posting on Facebook and Twitter and such never really bothers me. I've kept several blogs and I'm (usually) actually quite open when posting... but that said, I'd want to crawl into a hole and die if people I knew in real life actually read them, haha.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I have a livejournal account that is set to friends only. And since no one uses lj anymore, only like three people read it. And that is fine by me. I have it set for friends only because I am totally paranoid about someone finding it and exposing me. I am very truthful on it and I don't always say nice things about people... well often my mom.... and I would be shattered and horrified if someone linked to my lj and put my name on it and people i didn't know very well started reading it. Perhaps I am naive to put all my trust in lj privacy settings, but I do it and yeah, I feel a little uneasy about it. But one thing that i try to remember is with the amount of self-indulgent blogs out there and the chances of someone finding mine and exposing it or even slightly caring about it are close to none.

On facebook, I do post, but it's nothing private. The most private I get on facebook is sharing my musical tastes with the public.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
well yesterday I deleted all the status updates from my facebook from 2007 to 2012 with an app that does it automatically and now my facebook is completely blank and i plan on leaving it that way.

what do you think?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts