Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you self taught in any aspect of knowledge or your life?

I kind of taught myself in a way on how to do small/big things to make people realize how they should think beyond their self created boxes.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I taught myself how to whistle. :proud:

Well aside from things like what I just typed above, I suppose I taught myself to be self reflective. I didn't really learn it from anyone, or even have a role model to really observe doing it while I was growing up. I would imagine this is a fairly common self-taught skill though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I prefer self teaching myself on just about anything, because I can do it at entirely my own pace and with no pressure (because I'm very lazy). Whenever someone else teaches me, it suddenly turns into a job with deadlines and testing and I hate it. Things like guitar and music, or reading up on a certain subject I like, I try to self teach as much as possible.

For things like personality, I hate being told how to think a certain way from an external source, so I really have to come at it on my own to ever truly adopt it. I guess it's pretty stubborn but hey.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I taught myself how to draw/paint traditionally as well as digitally, i teach my self the odd song here and there on piano and ukulele and I make my own stuff up. I read a lot and I love learning new things. I spend a lot of time just gernerally teaching myself about everything and anything.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I taught myself how to play piano. When I was in second grade, the music teacher at school was throwing away all kinds of old songbooks. So I took a bunch of them home, sat down in front of the old $50 Kimball Upright church piano my mom had just bought, and started to teach myself how to play.

I remember in one of the song books, there were some short little notes about piano playing. I just kind of went from there and did my own thing.

I played and played and played and played non-stop. Then my granny took me to a music store, and I bought a real piano lesson book. The world exploded for me after that!

Mainly though, instead of playing the songs from the books I had, I loved to sit there and let the music flow through me and play whatever my little heart desired. Making it up as a I went along was fun and creative. I probably composed thousands of songs that are now lost for all time...

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Probably too many things to list. Just like rogosk, I thrive when I learn by my own means.
Ignoring the whole "I taught myself how to live life!" shindig..

Da List
Webmastering
Graphics design
Piano
Computers / general IT
Keyboarding skillz (average 140wpm)
Cooking
Stocks + Finances
Persuasiveness Tactics / Negotiation
General sales / business management (Entrepreneurial ventures)

blah blah blah.

Right now I'm trying to learn about real estate and cars. I'm honestly brain dead when it comes to vehicles.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Most aspects of my life are self taught, based on what I feel and everything that happens in my surroundings. When I was a child, I taught myself how to play and do tricks with a yo yo.

Now, I'm teaching myself to face reality more and to face obstacles and people with unwavering confidence.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I too like self-teaching. I taught myself how to play drums and some guitar. There are lots of other little things, but I'm also completely self-taught in photography, which is by far the thing I'm proudest of.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I hate being taught, because I learn fast and when I grasp something quicker than whoever is teaching me they tend to get butt hurt or think I know it all. It's not that at all. There as even been times when I would dumb myself down just so I won't step on anyone's toes. So when I wanna learn something new I rely on myself, as so I won't bruise anyone's ego.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Self-taught? I am learning about cultures and religions/philosophies of the world, does that count? Mostly hobbies, like languages (self-taught a teeny bit of Japanese, and 0.00000001% Spanish). Philosophy, idk.
Not very much. Psychology doesn't really count, since I'm not good at it, and most of the stuff I "taught" myself were fairly self-explanatory, like art and barely any biology.
Khan academy is great, and OCW Consortium is awesome. Hmm.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
520 Posts
YES. So many things interest me, I will just google how to do something and just do it.

1. Writing. I learned to do this naturally from reading so much.
2. I will absorb knowledge in anything that interests me. This is the only time I'm willing to read non-fiction.
3. Scrapbooking
4. Photography (with a little help from my pops)
5. A little bit of photo manipulation
6. I can't draw very well, but I have taught myself and discovered myself little methods to make decent basic pictures.

And there is more, but I can't think of it right now or it has been long past.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ah, so reading counts? Then I am self-taught in botany, art, and a kazillion other things I taught myself. xP
Hmm...I try to learn as much as I can about animals (biology, etc), people (Psychology& Philosophy for now), the arts (crafts, music, I cannot knit for my life), and science is uber-fun. Computer and web design is fun to learn too, but I only know the very fundamental basics of html.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
hrm...

i taught myself how to swim. and i swim terribly -_-; (and still cant float, if you can believe that). i did have swimming lessons when i was a kid, but i didnt learn squat from those for some reason.

i suppose, primarily, i'm self-taught in history. i took a good amount of history classes in university (and was going to take history as a minor... bah, i should've majored : / live and learn), but i've never learned as much, or gotten into history as much, as i've done by reading on my own. there's a certain... something to learning history, to me... it's hard to say. it's as if the world was a great jigsaw puzzle with a trillion missing pieces before, but now i've slowly pieced part (albeit a *small* part) of the puzzle back together, and it's very liberating, illuminating...... glorious, even. it's fascinating what we have and have not done - people constantly both overestimate and underestimate humanity in so many ways.

*cough* eh, well, nevermind : /

after my dad gave me his guns, i taught myself how to clean them... -_-; for decades, he thought he was cleaning them, but he was only oiling them. a few of these guns are close to 100 years old, you cant imagine how crudded up they were. hrm... i should clean them again soon, though i'm lacking a few bits of equipment...

i still have yet to *shoot* a gun, however : / next on the list, after i'm a little more financially secure...

Reactions: rogosk

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I always prefer self teaching and hands on training in just about anything. I also tend to pick up meta-knowledge in preference to factual knowledge. I learn about systems and connections rather than the nitty-gritty of individual bricks.

I am pretty much self taught in history, military history, a little physics, a litte psychology. Plus there is a host of other subjects I know a reasonable amount about.

I picked up so much bookkeeping on the job(having had negligible formal training in it) that when my colleagues have a problem with it, its me they turn to for the answers.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I love being self taught if I can help it. I find I can cover more on my own, that I can grasp the importance of a subject without trailing of into unneccessary details, and that its just more fufilling. I guess its more like learning on my own but your still learning from another person just a system when its by yourself. I learn a lot from authors and thats still a person influencing me.

-I've taught myself how to write poetry
-I've taught myself photography, I'm kind of a natural, I just "see" it.
-I've taught myself math, which is the only way I can learn it. I thought I was retarded until I sat down
with a book and realized Im not too shabby just the school systems way of teaching it was pretty bad.
-Ive taught myself psychology and some natural health medicines.
-I'm constantly teaching myself philosophy
-I'm currently teaching myself small business for the web and a small store. I might take a couple classes
like quickbooks but I'm finding I have good business concepts.
-I'm also in the process of learning how to write and perform monoluges because I think
it would be a good addition to a poetry slam.
-I taught myself how to swim too! When I was 12 and Im a great swimmer!
-I taught myself how to ride a bike

I love learning. I'm not the brainiest person but I do love adding to my mind! Many of the people in my life that have a particular gift are self taught. My boyfriend taught himself to program and he's much more able than most guys with degrees.
He said of the subject that the system just didnt have much to teach him. My mom also taught herself to write screenplays and shes won tons of big competetions and is now making a good ammount of money off of it between 25000 dollars and 100,000 dollars per screenplay.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I learned Portuguese on my own, drove a DHL truck and listened to cd's for 6 months. Really close to Spanish so it wasn't that hard, then got fluency living in Brazil, never took a class, I'm so proud of it. Oh yeah, and masturbating (-:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
In nearly every aspect, I am. It's my natural tendency to learn independently rather than dependently.

Reactions: Raichan
1 - 20 of 36 Posts