Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a discussion recently on how to tell for sure if I've been typed correctly. From the input I've recieved from others and from my own additional reading on the functions, I believe I really am INFJ. But I had to make absolutely sure. It was really important to me.

But from what I've learned, it's incredibly common for online tests to type you wrongly. It's sometimes even difficult to get accurate results with a good paid test. Understanding of the functions and how they manifest is paramount, without that it would be rather difficult to know for sure what type you are.

So back to my original question. How did you determine that you are INFJ? Because I have to say, I've read a lot of comments on here by confessed INFJs that don't sound very INFJish. :wink:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
There are many people that are typed incorrectly of every type, specifically INFJs among with other types that are commonly mistaken identity that I cannot remember at this time. There are even people out there that will read their real type's description and then claim to be another one because they don't like the other.

Personally, I took the test several years ago, read the description and I was like "naahhh no way I am not that special" took it multiple times and it kept spitting out the same thing. I had actually done this for a college class and the professor was very stunned that I typed as an INFJ. However, I did not think much of it and just kept doing my thing then I stumbled across it multiple times then finally I joined PerC and began to learn more. Then through my experience here, learning of the cognitive functions and speaking and getting to know people much more knowledgeable than I in MBTI telling me that I am an INFJ, I accepted it.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I can relate to a lot of what people post on this forum. Just too many coincidences between my own experiences in life, my own feelings and confusions and rationalizations, and what people describe here. I have browsed extensively over the forums of other intuitive types and cannot relate to them nearly as well. Hence I think I am of INFJ personality preference.

However I feel that there are a few INFPs among us as well as a few sensors. But I don't really care about it. Having other types hang out on this forum introduces variety to it :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've read everything that I can find on INFJs, and it all fits me. In fact, it hits so close to home sometimes that it makes my head spin. Reading about the other types doesn't make me feel that way. I just can't relate to them quite as well. I do relate well to the INFJs on this forum, and to what is posted here.

I've taken the test many times, in many different places, online and off. The result is always INFJ, no matter my mood or state of mind. To be honest, I sometimes wish that I was some other type, and try to get other scores on the test...and I still get INFJ. :laughing: I have considered that I might be a shy, somewhat unhealthy extrovert...but it's far more likely that I really am an introvert.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
I'm an INFJ, I just know....:crazy:
Seriously, I've done pretty much all of the tests(a few mistypes), read everything I know thats available online, learnt the basics of functions, read descriptions, the lot. The only type thats resonates with me is INFJ, uncannily accurate explanations of my behaviour and giving me so many answers about my life. Its like everything now makes sense in my life, somebody out there actual understands how I work and what I'm about, its quite refreshing. Still feel a bit blacksheepish though but this place gives me some solace and I feel less alone:cool:
Hope that made sense, very tired tonight.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm an INFJ, I just know....:crazy:
Seriously, I've done pretty much all of the tests(a few mistypes), read everything I know thats available online, learnt the basics of functions, read descriptions, the lot. The only type thats resonates with me is INFJ, uncannily accurate explanations of my behaviour and giving me so many answers about my life. Its like everything now makes sense in my life, somebody out there actual understands how I work and what I'm about, its quite refreshing. Still feel a bit blacksheepish though but this place gives me some solace and I feel less alone:cool:
Hope that made sense, very tired tonight.

That sounds pretty much like my experience. What it really comes down to is being honest with yourself and looking at the reality of how your preferred functions cause you to naturally behave.

Honestly, I'd like to be INFP. I tend to admire the type. I suppose that's a symptom of an unhealthy inability to accept myself as I am. But I honestly know I'm INFJ. It all just fits, like Cinderella's proverbial slipper.

Reactions: septemberdawn

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not really sure actually. A lot of what I've read on this forum and on other sites fit my description. And I've taken the test a couple times (different tests) and even a cognitive process test and all of them said INFJ. I initially doubted it because I don't really trust my Ni.. apparently those with Ni really trust it. I don't know, I'm still in the process of finding out my type.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
... apparently those with Ni really trust it. I don't know, I'm still in the process of finding out my type.
I don't trust my Ni either. Intuition is a probabilistic function, so every connection it makes it will assign a probability to it. Whenever you need to make a decision, your mind will glance over these connections you have made in your head and if there is insufficient probability assigned you will experience a need to learn more about a subject. Hence curiosity and love of learning are typical for INFJs and we usually do quite decently in school, save having some existential crisis or relationship/emotional issues. My decisions come to me more like 1 all encompassing solution, but I am never 100% sure of them. It is also typical for INFJs to take long time thinking to reach a conclusion.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know I'm an INFJ because I know I'm not an INTJ, INTP (though my INTP husband and I do have a lot in common), INFP, or ISFJ...which are all types I've "been" in the past...

Online tests do not type me right-- ever. Well, now they would because I know how to answer truthfully. But, that's the thing. As an INFJ, I am so good at projecting other personas onto myself-- being what I think other people want me to be (or what I think I should be), that after a while if I'm not careful, I start to think I really AM that persona.

Most recently, when I started out on these forums, I was even thinking I was ESFJ...But even that didn't fit me right, no matter how much I thought it should...

Finding out after all this time that I am a true INFJ, is like coming back home, coming back to my roots, rediscovering myself in a way that I never thought was possible. It feels good. And it feels right.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It all comes down to the Functions

http://personalitycafe.com/articles/13201-functions.html

I puzzled over my type for a long time. The thing that finally flipped the switch for me was reading the descriptions of the functions and comparing them to how I think about things - and more to the point How I arrive at decisions.

Once I determined that I was primarily using Ni in coming up with all these abstract forms, Fe in my interactions with people and humanitarian bent to my ideas, Ti (strongly developed) in realizing the technical and practical and Se being expressed in my artistic and athletic interests - it all fell into place. My preference order in both thought and deed added up to Ni-Fe-Ti-Se and that spells INFJ.

So read about the functions and the differences between them. Determine which variety of each that you are using and you will by implication *know* your type.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think a lot of people have already nailed it by saying 'you just know'
I don't think you need to doubt yourself just because some traits don't match, but in reality how we see ourselves is often completely different than what we really are so that might be where the uncertainty comes from.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once I really studied the type descriptions, I knew I could be no other type than INFJ. But I felt compelled to dig deeper anyway, especially since I was mis-typed a couple of times by online tests. Once I really started to understand how the functions work I knew I had been right all along, but I always have this need to make sure.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that my father is INTJ, and has always pushed me to make sure of the facts. He doesn't trust my intuition, so it's been hard for me to trust it. I still don't think I should trust it unswervingly because, although it's usually right it's not infallible. It can only be proved that my intuition was right after the fact, when things turn out the way I thought they would.

Reactions: naekkeo

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
being INFJ is very rare, so i did guess around a lot
infp, intp

but it all comes down to my thinking functions. Its the order and how i process things.

I'm 110% I'm in infj, I'm a very messy infj. :p

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty sure there's no way to know for sure whether INFJ's are really so rare. It's really quite a "soft science" if you know what I mean. We feel rare though. It's sure hard to find somebody to identify with in real life.

Reactions: Lysana

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's no way to know for sure whether INFJ's are really so rare. It's really quite a "soft science" if you know what I mean. We feel rare though. It's sure hard to find somebody to identify with in real life.
I don't feel rare, It's statistics.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Statistics can lie, especially the kind used to prove what percentage of the population is any one personality type. I'm not saying that we aren't rare, we probably are. Just that there's no way to be 100% sure what percentage of the population we really are. The reason I brought it up is because I recently read a great article on why the methods used to determine personality type percentages are highly flawed. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are useless, just that they cannot be relied upon to be 100% accurate.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts