Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've worked in several different workplaces, and I always end up being the neutral person who gets along fine with everyone. I'm diplomatic, avoid conflicts, and always try to maintain civil relationships, even with people who are infamously difficult to get along with.

On the flip side, I usually don't form close friendships. I think it's because I refuse to take sides in conflicts, so people see me as disloyal. The truth is, I can usually see conflicts from several different points of view, and frankly I care more about keeping the peace (and my job!) than siding with any one person.

Is this a typical trait amongst INTPs? Or maybe more of an INFP thing?

·
Registered
93 Posts
hey river, I believe to remain neutral in any sort of conflict means you have to remain detached from the specific perspective of any one person. I do this with everything from relationship advice to debates in politics. I take a lot of heat from F types because they are mostly just looking for validation or encouragement to justify their side of the argument, when we typically look at both sides of the equation, dissect it, rationalize the validity of both arguments, create a baseline, then verbalize our logical solution somewhere between right and wrong. I truly don't believe we receive enough credit for being natural diplomats.

Most people tend to herd around like minded people (herd mentality), simply because that's how they find their own validation...they base and weigh their own assumptions off the assumptions of the people they associate with. We do the opposite, i.e. we get our validation from ourselves internally, but when we do this, it tends to be more individualistic...therefore, its harder to get to know peeps like us simply because the herd finds us harder to understand.

Anyways, you're not alone and there's nothing wrong with what you are doing...actually I find that respectable :happy:

·
Registered
417 Posts
While "Switzerland" historically remains neutral it is not simply out of self preservation.
It is well known that you must tread softly around it, chiefly because of the Swiss "terrain" and the fact that the "army" is ruthless.
(Correlate this to whatever INTP metaphors you prefer)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've worked in several different workplaces, and I always end up being the neutral person who gets along fine with everyone. I'm diplomatic, avoid conflicts, and always try to maintain civil relationships, even with people who are infamously difficult to get along with.

On the flip side, I usually don't form close friendships. I think it's because I refuse to take sides in conflicts, so people see me as disloyal. The truth is, I can usually see conflicts from several different points of view, and frankly I care more about keeping the peace (and my job!) than siding with any one person.

I'm both surprised and glad that other INTPs share this trait. I thought the stereotypical INTP would be abrasive/rude to people, but I don't typically find myself acting that way.

Most people think I'm easier to get along with than most, even though I'm not usually close to them. Maybe this is a trait of INTPs with a developed Fe. That'd explain understanding the importance of keeping civil relationships while remaining objective in our view of situations.

Additionally, I find that I actually like for people to like/respect me (especially if they respect my objective views). That's not to say I want them to think I'm awesome and give me attention, but it's comforting to know people don't flat out dislike me. Maybe that's just human though.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would like to be Switzerland, but people interpret my words too freely for me to retain an adequately neutral position.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes. Several people have called me "the most neutral person I know", or similar.

Also, I always seem to develop at least two 'groups' of friends, or, people who I talk to, anyway, whenever I go somewhere new. Mixing them usually doesn't go very well, but I get along fine with either group when it's just me and one group. I think it's to do with the social chameleon thing that INTPs are so well known for.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well, I try to be, but it's just my way to make enemies. I'm usually okay when I go into a group or a team where nobody knows each other - I'll try to get along with everyone and work out any conflicts or whatever. When it's not a team situation and I'm just around people, like at school, it's not the same. I don't feel like I need to be nice to everyone. This doesn't mean that I'm going to go out of my way to hurt them, but if they have a problem with something I do that's really none of their business, then they can't expect me to be polite. I'm not going to apologize or try to resolve conflict because I don't need to be friends with them.

The way I act seems to annoy a lot of people unintentionally.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

It's an Enneagram type 9 thing...

I am the same way.

Although I do validate my friends viewpoints on things I'm not involved in (even while I secretly wonder what the other side of the story is-- LOL!)

·
Registered
988 Posts
The 'be objective and only state solid facts' stance has offically become moot. People interpret whatever I say as part of my belief system/opinions, although I try to have none. I could say, 'Obama passed a healthcare bill that is largely unpopular, but was called for by many', and most people would interpret it as 'I hate Obama!!shift1!!!' or 'I love Obama!' depending on their own stance on the topic.

Of course, the others think I am referring to the healthcare bill itself and not Obama, but it works.

Reactions: CrabHammer

·
Registered
39 Posts
More like Antarctica.... a dangerous and uninhabited place that no one owns where only a select few scientists get the privilege of visiting for a few years at a time. (and penguins. :3)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Similar to Sybll, I've been called the most non-confrontational person ever by some friends of mine. I agree that it's more of a Enneagram type 9 thing, but that is a pretty common type for INTPs I believe. Usually if I'm someone's sounding board, I'll try to understand the point of view of the other person. If it's a controversial subject, particularly anything to do with politics, I generally just shut up, though I've gone of on the occasional diatribe. There's really only a few topics that I find worth getting up in arms about, all the others I'd rather help the two sides of the argument get along and understand the points the other is trying to make.

It's partly self preservation, but mostly a genuine desire for diplomacy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's an Enneagram type 9 thing...

I am the same way.

Although I do validate my friends viewpoints on things I'm not involved in (even while I secretly wonder what the other side of the story is-- LOL!)
This post made me realise I'm probably a type 9, not a 5... So thanks :happy:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

I've been called Switzerland as an insult and diplomatic as a compliment by different people.

When a person comes to me with their problems or arguments, I need to think. Before I can think and evaluate the arguments for weaknesses or learn alternative arguments, I'll suspend judgment. I need valid evidence or enough information in order to examine and research the points made. I need to analyze for a while before making a proper decision, continue the suspension of judgment, or make no decision for either side. I will remain open and flexible as more evidence becomes known or better logic comes to the surface.

On one hand, I may tell people the parts of their arguments that I think are valid, but on the other hand, I will tell that person the valid points of the opposing side. I've found that when I mention the opposing side before the side of the person that wants my opinion, that person will cut me off or ignore me, before I've gotten to their side. When I mention the side of the argument that agrees with their mentality, they will commend me, until I get to alternative sides. I prefer to stay out of the argument altogether, especially when I have no personal investment, and analyze on my own.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Switzerland?

I would rather be awesome like Prussia.

*is shot*
*stabbed*
*dies in fire*

I think I'm something like Switzerland. Esp. considering Chillin's comment on their 'ruthless' army (assuming it's true, I don't actually know.).
I'm nice, polite, I don't start fights, I mediate what I can, I help everyone as kindly as possible, I stay neutral or I stay out, etc.
Unless someone crosses me in a major way, in which case, I end them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am also quite good at seeing conflicts from different points of view and I am normally able to be relatively objective. A lot of people tend to dismiss certain ideas or opinions simply because they do not like the person they are coming from. I am not necessarily neutral, but usually very diplomatic.
However, I lose all my diplomacy if I feel that I am attacked on a personal level (which fortunately does not happen often).

The correlation between my diplomacy and the lack of close friends at work is something I hadn't really thought about until now. But I guess those two could be linked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts