Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This semester I'm student teaching and today my professor came to do an observation on a few classes. It through me off guard a little bit when after one of the lessons he commented on how he could tell that I was pushing things through a little bit to make sure I got that quiz at the end in during my one lesson. He made the comment that he knows I'm very "task oriented" and tend to do that.... which can be good and have a bad side in some circumstances.

I actually don't think I've heard that one before from people reflected back to me, so I actually thought about it and looked up just little things with INFJs and I do remember reading about how INFJ's have the "Chart the course" interaction style, so they will tend to keep people in the group "on task".

Upon reflection, I do recall outlining a lot to my classes on where we are, what we are going to cover, and where we will be throughout the lesson as it progresses. Part of that is from training, others is in fact perhaps natural and I just don't realize it.

So do any other INFJs feel like they are "task oriented"?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yup! Very much so. Sometimes I'll even step up and take the leadership position because everyone in my group is going off in tangents and not getting work done in group discussions.

I'm guessing this is why we're seen as serious (we stay on track and not goof around)?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I agree with myosotis... I tend to feel uneasy in meetings and groups when things are not moving according to some kind of plan. I think I'm somewhat task oriented and process oriented in general as well in work situations. I guess it comes from having personal experience with the importance of actually being aware of the work process itself to get good results. It comes back to haunt me in situations where I need to rely more on creativity and inspiration, and end up trying to fit those things too into some kind of schedule. I hope that was kind of in line with your question... :happy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I need to have a goal in front of me to work towards. When I don't have that goal I feel out of place, just kind of drifting and not sure what to do. I like getting things started - I like getting them completed - but the actual process time in between can feel rather tedious, especially if it entails waiting for others to complete their tasks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This semester I'm student teaching and today my professor came to do an observation on a few classes. It through me off guard a little bit when after one of the lessons he commented on how he could tell that I was pushing things through a little bit to make sure I got that quiz at the end in during my one lesson. He made the comment that he knows I'm very "task oriented" and tend to do that.... which can be good and have a bad side in some circumstances.

I actually don't think I've heard that one before from people reflected back to me, so I actually thought about it and looked up just little things with INFJs and I do remember reading about how INFJ's have the "Chart the course" interaction style, so they will tend to keep people in the group "on task".

Upon reflection, I do recall outlining a lot to my classes on where we are, what we are going to cover, and where we will be throughout the lesson as it progresses. Part of that is from training, others is in fact perhaps natural and I just don't realize it.

So do any other INFJs feel like they are "task oriented"?
Yes. Completely agree. I get ‘locked’ on the task, or on finishing my point, ad nauseam. And the ‘leaders’ don’t like being pulled back into line. I often think that’s why we are good in a crisis, when focus is needed.
After questioning the reason for undertaking the task (you would not believe the level of research I will do before undertaking the task, to make sure it is the right direction), and the method of achieving the task (often only internally), I then take on the task ‘full on’ until completion
Often, only when I consider the task is finished, is it really finished; perfectionist trait. I can go way beyond what is expected of me: too much. (It’s not always true though: if it’s not interesting and not urgent, I can be a bit of a slacker).
What’s also interesting is that I don’t think it’s limited to ‘technical’ or work tasks; it’s also people tasks. For example, I don’t like even having a hint that someone doesn’t like me, and if I do, I will attempt to ‘convert’ the enemy into a friend, and keep going until that ‘task’ has been achieved. Is that too business-like? Oddly, against my natural need to care, I might drop that person after that 'task' has been achieved, if maintaining the relationship requires too much emotional energy; I suppose because it’s then my decision (?). Sounds awful, but it’s true sometimes. :unsure:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am quite the opposite - I am not task oriented at all.

In fact that has been a re-occuring theme at work - that I need to be more "task oriented"

I get absolutely no pleasure at all in crossing off things on a To do list. To me the greatest thrill is when an idea comes together - that Aha moment. Having said that I am definately happier when I have worked out a clear sense of direction - problem is I get bored about a nano second later when it comes to actually doing it!

I do get tired in meetings when I see debates going off course. Not so much because things are not being done but more because poor thinking is happening.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,233 Posts
I suppose so, I am very ambitious in a strange sort of way. I guess it's part of being an idealist, you want to strive for a dream.
Without a task it's so incredibly easy for me to just lounge around doing nothing other than fantasizing about how great my eventual future success will be (how very ironic).
It's probably for the best that I set a schedule, it'll make the more mundane tasks easier if you can mentally prepare for them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have an INFJ friend with a Masters Degree in Project Management.
She is very task oriented as you can imagine - her professional role is a perfect match for her skills and focus.
Planning, execution and achievement - that's her for sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts