Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Have you noticed that you're the only ______ in your family or group of friends? If so share your experiences/thoughts on it down below.

-------------------------

In my group of friends, I'm the only Introvert (I).
(They are ENFP, ENTJ, and ESFJ)

It's interesting, I don't notice anything much that's different between us. Though, they make friends more easily than me. Like for each, they all have other friends outside our circle. While, I hate to say it, I don't have any other close friends besides them.. :crying:

In my family, I'm the only Thinking (T).
Mom = ESFP, Dad =ENFJ, Older Sister = INFJ, and Little Brother= ESFP.

I think it has something to do with me being the middle child..? They call me the smart ass/sass ass of the family; generally, they let me do what I want cause they know I can handle stuff, like they don't worry alot if I stay out late, but if it was my older sister, they think she's been kidnapped (she's really naive too huh...)

Overall, I feel like an outsider.

-------------------------

·
Registered
227 Posts
In my family, I'm the only sensor person.
Mom: INTJ, Dad: ENTP, Sister: INFP

And I got many trouble because my opinion, especially my mom is not compatible with what I'm saying. But, my family looking my advice when they got trouble

·
Registered
171 Posts
In my family, only INTJ, and possibly only NT in a family full of sensors, mainly SJs. Needless to say I don't have much in common with most of my family. I talk least in most family discussions or meetings because I tend to be least interested in the conversation as I don't care much for conversations all about past experiences or stories, many of which are just retold over and over. I also loathe the pretentious don't talk while the grown ups speak attitude my parents have and decide participating in conversations with family as a group is largely pointless. Thankfully, I'm in much better company with friends, who are a mix of types, including INTP, ISTP, ENTP, etc. No SJs I know of in this circle or other INTJs (I tend to have so little in common with SJs generally that nothing usually happens there and I've only met 1 other person I was sure was INTJ).

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I am the only iNtuitive type in my immediate family, and most of my extended family consists of sensors as well. Mostly SJs, although my mom is SP.

I think being one of very few P's had a definite impact on me. They definitely didn't appreciate my messiness, my impulsiveness. And I never understood their fixations with rules and details I found mundane. They got annoyed when I switched back and forth on decisions, instead of sticking with things. *Shrug*

I have a good mix of types in my current friends circle now, but looking back over the course of my life, there were times when I was mostly friends with P's. I wonder if the whole family thing had anything to do with that.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm the only INTP out of my friends.
There was this chick I wen't to school with that I've speculated to be INTP and I got along well with her.
Theres also this other chick at my work who could be INTP but I don't really know her.

But other than that I don't know anyone (yet I probably do).

It's alright I don't really mind, thats probably why I'm friends with them lol.

I have noticed that I hang out with lots of Te users so I do find that my logic doesn't flow as well with them.
It always seems like I need much less external explanation for something than they do.

But whatever it's more for me to learn, altho it would be interesting being friends with my same type.

I've noticed I get along well with ISFPs who are like the opposite yet the same, I guess it's that total uniqueness that makes that happen.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Nah. ST and SJ and SP seems genetic in my family.

ISTP grandfathers, brother, me, sister, uncle, cousins.

ISTJ mom, grandmother, cousins.

ESTP dad.

ESTJ sis.

We all seem doomed to be and have SP's or ST's in my family. Not an N to be found.

p.s. on a completely unrelated note, there's only one left handed member of my family, my neice, and that is at least 5 generations of right handers finally upset and upended by this one little girl (but she's ridiculously adorable and lovable, as well as she's smarter than all of us, so it's ok! Hey, maybe she's an N!) :happy:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm the only intuitive type in my family. Also the only perceiving type. They understand me as much as their sensing will provide, but nothing deeper than that. They do not understand my radical non-traditional way of thinking or my beliefs about life. When we get into debates, they do not see the bigger picture. Also, as the only perceiving type, they get pretty annoyed that I'm inconsistent, unpredictable, and messy. I get slightly annoyed by their practices of doing things the "normal" and traditional way, when there are more effective and efficient ways.

However, we do get along when it comes to simple chats about daily routines and other things of that nature, but absolutely no philosophy or abstract discussions.

I only have one true friend, my best friend, who is an INFJ, who relates to me more, as we can talk for hours about deeper things like life and death, religion, etc. My other friends are all sensing types, so I can really only discuss simple topics of shopping, parties, concerts, and every day life with them; they brush me off when I get abstract.

I'm grateful to have one person to share my ideas with; it's all I really need.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm the only IN in my family, which is abnormally full of SPs.

The setting that this topic immediately makes me think of is my boyfriend's rather than my own. He's an INTJ amidst a close-nit family of SJs. His maternal grandmother is textbook ESTJ, his uncle ISTJ, his aunt ESFJ, his father ISTJ, his brother ESFJ and his mother a very unhealthy ESFJ. Growing up, and still now, he's really clashed with them, especially when it comes to matters of personal freedoms and choices. He's someone who very much needs his own space, and they cannot understand that. By not wanting to be with them when he's off work they assume he's cutting them out of his life entirely.

It's also been hard for me to integrate myself with them much, even after seven years. The NP is just something wholly alien to them, not to mention his mother's dislike of my Fi! Back when we still lived in our hometown and had weekly dinner with his family, the two of us would sit in complete silence while they spoke about town gossip, work, holidays, or their strong, conservative opinions. If ever we voiced our own, they'd be too liberal or zany for them and be dismissed as "juvenile" or "well you're only 21, what do you know of life?" Needless to say, this would drive my INTJ boyfriend mental!

The differences were so gargantuan that I used to hate to have to spend time with them, but since I got interested in MBTI and cognitive functions a few years ago, I see them in a much more kind and sympathetic light. I know that MBTI isn't all that a person is, but I believe that it can hep us understand others at least as a base level.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am the only Feeler type in my family, which used to be a bit tough when I was a child. I was simply labeled "oversensitive" and repeatedly being told not to be. But overall, now I have a nice relationship with almost everyone in my family, including my ISTJ mother (who is not able to understand how I can be "living in the clouds all the time"). Among my close friends, I am the only Perciever.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm the only introvert on my family.

They don't accept I need to spend plenty of time alone and they wish one day I will magically transform into a social butterfly and never get tired of social events and will talk to everyone. Well family, that shit ain't gonna happen!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yep. I'm the only SP type in my family and the only Se (Sensor). The other three are NF types (ENFJ, ENFP, INFP) and the remaining two are NT types (INTJ, INTP).

·
Banned
2,122 Posts
I'm the only Fi user in my family :tongue:
Me: ESFP
Brother: ESTP
Mother: ESFJ
Father: ISTP

My brother is the most open-minded in my family, and my father is REALLY quiet, unless there's something he likes to talk about, like... cars.
My mom is very protective (a.k.a. controller :tongue:), and I'm the most selfish and opinionated person in my family :unsure::frustrating::kitteh:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts