Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this was just me but.

When I was a bit younger I was far too content. I would tell myself I was happy even though I really wasn't. And I think it made me less motivated to work hard.

And it was silly really, I would tell myself I was content because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to get what I wanted, and that would make make me sad.

I now feel that way sometimes, but at least now I'm starting to try and chase my ambitions and dreams.

So were you/ are you like this? Are you scared of failure? Does it hold you back and make you tell yourself you're content?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was scared of change. I've had to make several large changes, a couple times in life since high school. Moving, trying a new career, ect. I'd put it off, make up some excuse and try to justify it with my feelings.

It all came down to me feeling safe and content, not wanting to expose myself in case of failure.
Took quite awhile to get over that, don't think I am fully but it doesn't hold me back anymore.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Yep. I literally got nothing going on in my life, yet I think I do feel content. Not entirely, but enough so that I don't really have any ambition to work hard towards what I really want. I just dislike working hard, period. I don't know why. Maybe I feel nothing is worth working so hard for. I don't ever feel satisfied when I finish things. Plus, I really love living a leisurely life. I love to keep things simple and relaxed. All of these things together makes it impossible for me to get anything done.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ah, I wish my life was simple and relaxed. I'm so "uncontent" (if that's a word) it's not even funny. Yet there's nothing I can do about it so I'd best put up with it!:sad:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm not content with anything I've ever accomplished in my life.

And by that I mean I don't feel like I've accomplished anything that met my requirements.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am terrified of change. I am not content at all, but I refuse to change anything about my life because I am scared of what will happen if I do. I just can't handle major changes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Up until college I'd say I was mostly content, maybe. I dunno. Now I'm quite the opposite. I think I work in extremes a lot. Sometimes I feel super content without any worries in the world. Other times, like recently, I feel like I'm not getting anywhere in my life or doing anything worth my time. I wish I could plug my brain into a computer and it would tell me how I'm feeling, cause I'm clueless and rambling.

"Happy then the man with naught to lose, and who has a contented mind." - Friar Tuck

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
When I was younger I was unhappy but very content. As I get older, I'm much happier but less content.

Happiness and contentment (what I all satisfaction) are two different things.

Happiness is largely determined by how much control you feel you have in your currently life. No one is happy when their life is out of control. When people feel dependent on the economy, other people, fate or things outside their control in order to move forward in their life (ie finding a new job, getting a significant other, getting their book published, etc), people feel helpless and unhappy. On the other hand, people who's lives are completely in the toilet, but they feel that there's nothing standing in the way of digging themselves out, are much happier.

Satisfaction comes from meeting your needs. If you don't have to worry about your current most important needs like food, shelter, love, etc. then you feel content. Your life really isn't a struggle to get what you feel you need. However, if you feel nagging in the back of your head that if you lose your job you won't be able to get one because of the economy, then you feel unhappy because that part of your life feels out of your hands.

Since happiness and satisfaction are two different things, you can be happy and dissatisfied at the same time.

You feel you have potential to do anything you set your mind to, but you don't. Voila, you're happy but dissatisfied.

You don't have to worry about your needs, but if you're girlfriend left your or you lost your job, you don't feel you could recover --- unhappy but satisfied.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am complacent, I am not content. As people have said change is far too scary for me to want to stomach it, but I don't have to like the alternative. I could stay the way I am and in the same situation for quite a while and remain comfortable, but there is a restlessness in me that knows that it is not right. I am not content but I would really like to be a little more than that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am content in the sense that I stay in bad situations (like my current job) for way too long. But I can't really say how much of it is being content, and how much of it is fear of change.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I guess I'm happy but not satisfied. Everyone talks about worrying about changing their life, I'm all about it, I just don't know what the fuck I would do otherwise.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'm know that I'm not completely content, but I am pretty content to the point where I am very unmotivated a lot of the time. It's always in the back of my head that I want better, but then again I am too comfortable to move forward or even kind of fear that I can't have it better than I already do.

·
Registered
321 Posts
No, I am not too content. In fact, I am not content at all, let alone too content. I have never felt, or feel right now, that I am where I want to be in my life.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to be clear, I was and still am not that content. I was just telling myself I was to protect myself.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I might have been like this when I was younger... I did used to put up with a lot of stuff. But I like to think that now I do go for things when I get the opportunity and I am a lot stronger than I used to be.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Because of my illnesses I'm at home almost all the time.
I know I should try push my limits a bit to see if I can make it, but I'm too content with my tiny little life right now.
Not that I'm happy, I'm really not happy at all.
It's just that I feel safe inside my shell, and the thought of getting out and challenge myself is too big and scary.
One one hand, I'm ambitious and want to do stuff that matters.
On the other hand I quite like my boring days of peace and quiet.
I'm not sure what to do... :unsure:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Uh, no one's ever called me an underachiever. Sometimes I am a bit too happy and people think I'm on drugs or something, but uh, that's as content as I get, never does it make me unmotivated. I'm a very dynamic, driven sort of person.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think I've always "contented" myself because I wouldn't want a problem to grow so big that I'd have to talk to someone about it.

It was always like "I have to forget this, because otherwise the problem will grow and I will start to look sad and then my parents will notice and ask me what's wrong and I'll say 'nothing' and they'll not believe that but think I'm on drugs, then they'll ask me if I'm on drugs and I'll say 'no' and they won't believe that so they'll keep pestering me until I finally have to choice but to tell what's wrong with me and then they'll try to help, even though I just want to be left alone"..

However, it helps when you have amazing friends like I have. I'm able to talk to them about my worries. Mostly my worries are about one of my friends, so I'll talk to another of my friends about my worries regarding that one friend.

I know I make it seem like I have a lot of friends, but the number of friends I have, with whom I have a philosophical and emotional connection to, is really 3..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts