Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often, whenever I guess something, it sounds like I pulled the answer out of my butt or whatever, but I'm usually right. I say things like "I think I'm going to *insert thingy* in *insert time amount* and I'm usually right. At my school, we had something where we guessed how many M&Ms were in a container and I got it. I also reassure myself by saying things like "It's okay, it will *something something* probably."

Do you ENFPs relate because I don't know anyone IRL that does.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Always did excellent on tests even if I really didn't know the subject matter. Am pretty darn good in guessing if something will turn out "bad" or "good." (My gut is a solid compass for me.) And I do fairly well with random guessing too. I don't apply this to games of chance however- I think the unseen world is against me there and messes with my intuition- for obvious reasons. (grrrrrr)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I'm a very very good guesser, which I think has been problematic for me in the long-run because it's made me a huge fan of "just winging it" and assuming whatever comes into my mind at the time will be enough always and forever.

I like to just throw out random statements about things without thinking really at all, and then watch them be actually true or actually happen. Everyone always assumes it's because I'm smart or I prepared or I know what I'm talking about, but really I'm just a freakishly good guesser and I'm too dumb to not just say random stuff with no evidence or thought to back it up.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how many m&ms were in the container

was it just a completely random guess or do you think your brain did some sort of unconscious calculation
There was 516, and I have no idea... It just came to me but it probably had some unconscious rationale. Like @The King Of Dreams said, it's probably Ne at work... But I was curious.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I'm a very very good guesser, which I think has been problematic for me in the long-run because it's made me a huge fan of "just winging it" and assuming whatever comes into my mind at the time will be enough always and forever.
:unsure: But, but...."winging it" is a wonderful gift. How can it possibly be problematic in the long run? :shocked:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Oh yeah. All the time. When it comes to people, I just get these 'gut feelings' that never fail. When it comes to concepts, ideas or procedures, my 'hunches' hardly ever let me down.

A former boss (possibly ISTJ) truly hated this about me. I remember this one time in which she assigned me this ridiculously complicated project, involving a bunch of tiny little annoying routes in order to find solutions to specific situations. Time and again, while she was in the middle of explaining an individual situation, I'd blurt out something like: "Hey, why don't we try XYZ there?" She'd stare at me, and tell me to just listen first and then get down to applying procedures and such. To which I'd repeat: "Yeah, okay, but... has anyone tried XYZ before?" And of course, I was right. Every time.
When that project ended, a coworker came round and asked: "How on earth did you figure those things out so quickly?"
My answer: "I've no idea whatsoever".

A physics teacher hated me for the same reason. I kept coming up with answers to problems after very little pondering and not any writing at all. She accused me of cheating. I accused her of being a stuck-up stickler for mindless, unnecessary rules that hinder the learning process. That one sent me straight to the director's office.

My brother once came to me for some girlfriend advice. Halfway into his explanation I told him exactly what I thought was the problem, and how to fix it. He paused, then said: "I can see how you came to that conclusion". I, truly shocked, said: "Really? Would you care to explain it to me? Coz I myself have no clue."

It's called Ne (Extroverted iNtuition) You see many possibilities and you logically pick the right one out of those possibilities. Simple.
Yup. Piece of cake.

... when you have it. :wink:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I do this while watching Jeopardy. Most of my guesses, while educated, are completely and totally guesses. And I'm usually right. And it drives my mother who is an INTP crazy.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
It's called Ne (Extroverted iNtuition) You see many possibilities and you logically pick the right one out of those possibilities. Simple.
King inspired an important point...

Dear ENFPs,

Logic is for the NTs. Leave it alone, you must trust your gut and intuition. It doesn't make sense, but it works, for us at least.
So please use it whenever in doubt, you may be amazed where it leads.

That is all.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,077 Posts
I do this while watching Jeopardy. Most of my guesses, while educated, are completely and totally guesses. And I'm usually right. And it drives my mother who is an INTP crazy.
Welp, l am also an INTP and although l do "know' the answers on some level l just throw them out there first, but l'm right. With Jeopardy they might as well be guesses because some of those things l really don't realize that l do know until later . Surprised she think that's weird.

And of course some of l know right away but l don't usually take the linear route when accessing whatever's in my mind, so l feel like even then l'm guessing because everything is organized so randomly.

Anyway, yes to the OP. l don't rely on them though, l also sometimes just through out a few different scenarios that sound perfectly credible if l'm caught in a bind. Especially with school and it usually works, l have no idea what l'm talking about ~*~

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
King inspired an important point...

Dear ENFPs,

Logic is for the NTs. Leave it alone, you must trust your gut and intuition. It doesn't make sense, but it works, for us at least.
So please use it whenever in doubt, you may be amazed where it leads.

That is all.
The funny thing is Ne is kinda like the shortcut to the conclusion. We don't have to "show our work" so to speak. NT's do, and they like it. For us, we don't have to and I like it. I love that I can quickly come to a conclusion without all the work... NT's love to know the process as well as the conclusion. That's just my take on it.... Thanks @Moby!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welp, l am also an INTP and although l do "know' the answers on some level l just throw them out there first, but l'm right. With Jeopardy they might as well be guesses because some of those things l really don't realize that l do know until later . Surprised she think that's weird.

And of course some of l know right away but l don't usually take the linear route when accessing whatever's in my mind, so l feel like even then l'm guessing because everything is organized so randomly.

Anyway, yes to the OP. l don't rely on them though, l also sometimes just through out a few different scenarios that sound perfectly credible if l'm caught in a bind. Especially with school and it usually works, l have no idea what l'm talking about ~*~
No, she gets pissed, because she knows a lot of the answers, but I throw out my guesses first, which are almost always right and it irritates her.

I do this when watching movies/tv and reading books. I can usually within about five-ten minutes of watching crime procedural shows pick out the killer and about halfway through books/movies pick out killers/figure out the ending.

And while my dad is fascinated by my "skills" and thinks I"m psychic, my mom gets so angry at me, because I "ruin" films for her. Even though they are just my guesses, but because they are so often right, she doesn't feel the need to watch movies/tv.

Which is why I now go to movies alone in the theater.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I guess we just "intuitively" know these things. :p
But yes, it happens all the time.
Now if only I could form some kind of a guess what someone took my laundry basket out of the utility room, and through it into a room in the opposite side of the house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts