Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll post just so I can say "yes". But I wouldn't post in most other topics. They don't really interest me.

I grew up with forums though. My parents were rather negligent and gave me free reign of the Internet when I was only 6 in 2002. I vastly prefer them over any other platform. A part of me wishes the format was as popular as it used to be...but then that'd mean all the Instagram and Snapchat and TikTok kiddos would be around and...no thanks. I've never touched those and couldn't even get into Twitter. I'd be a poor fit for even the Millennial generation.

But I'm pretty sure I'm on the autistic spectrum so I'd be a poor fit anywhere. :^)

·
Registered
Mafia addict
333 Posts
Yes. I prefer having real discussions on forums to the popularity contest that is most social media. I do use Snapchat though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I ask myself: whats the modern alternate to forums? I guess if the young ppl want a topic oriented discussion, they would end up in some kind of whatsapp group of some local friend. I feel like, its moving into a more personal direction, while the concept of a global, topic related community is being forgotten. Or maybe there might be some youtubers of a topic, where they would ask directly for advice. But I dont really see any modern version of a forum. Maybe discord chats, but I feel like this is more common among gamers or older people, that still have the good old IRC mentality. But even chats in general seem pretty unpopular among young people. I have the gut feeling it would burst their brains to follow the actual flow of a real conversation. Nowadays it seems more you talk to several people 1:1 at once about personal stuff. Then you got your whatsapp group of your best friends and maybe your class mates and that was it. A discord chat with several subcategories might be already too much. Whats your thought?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Born in 2001, got into forums in the mid 2010s as a teenager. I didn’t really have free access to the internet much before then, so I think my affinity towards forums are more to do with the topics of discussion and the more potential for prolonged content in conversation than the trend of the time. Perhaps something like reddit could be considered the modern equivalent, especially on some subreddits, but nothing really comes close to the conversations you can have on traditional forums.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was born in 2002, but I've always been a forum type of person, even when I was too young to spell anything correctly. I think the most main-stream thing I use to talk to people online with, is Discord. But even than; when I think of Discord, I think of Discord being the future of forums, as in: being where internet forums could be if large media conglomerates didn't take over the internet/main-stream culture.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yes, but usually not very often to other mediums such as chatrooms (boomer-tier tbh, but whatever). I use this forum for typology and entertainment. Actually, I've been using this forum slightly more lately since I got banned from discord for the 6th time already. Taking a break from it and not going away until September.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm an Early Zoomer. I was born In late 2000, and my memories of pop culture range from electropop to Angry Birds to Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show to video game systems like PS3, 360, and Wii.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm only 20, and kinda think it's a pity that forums are going out of fashion, particularly among young people - you can get a far more widespread range of responses than what you get on Instagram or TikTok (I don't even understand why TikTok is a thing, or why its current owner chose to rename it from its far more topical previous name, Musical.ly - I suspect TikTok will be a passing fad). The internet has become very dumbed down feeling as people have moved from browsing on a desktop PC to their phone as their primary method of accessing it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I only got into forums around this time too. I feel quite a lot's changed culturally in this respect in only the last 10 years. Most of the things I see in my social media feeds are pretty lame - typically something along the lines of a couple of posing self portraits followed by a nonsensical meme, followed by someone sharing somebody else's uninteresting post.

The Student Room is still very active and is used by a lot of young people in the UK. I also use a roads forum and a webcomic hosting forum that are also pretty active still, although one is comprised 90% of middle aged men and the other is comprised mostly of people in their 20s and 30s. Reddit is also kind of like a forum in many ways.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I find the clunkier design of places like here easier to use than the watered down slick interface of modern social media.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm more of a Twitter person. These forums are interesting tho! I like to surf through pages and read different topics, but I rarely ever post. Tried few times but i just don't know what kind of discussions i can open hahaha!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts