Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just saying, most ENTPs are shy and unsocial as teenagers. So, doesn't that make us INTPs for that amount of time?

Or am I just being dumb here and over thinking this...lol

·
Registered
838 Posts
There are differences in the two type's function orders to consider.

Also, being an I does not mean you are anti-social or shy. INTPs are not the shyer and the more quiet ENTP; they are two distinct types independent of each other.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
As a teenager maybe ENTPs become INTPs.(theory)
We often mistype as INTPs
We are very introverted extraverts

Reactions: CJ99

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
As a teenager maybe ENTPs become INTPs.(theory)
We often mistype as INTPs
We are very introverted extraverts
Exactly.

I forgot to add, Ne doesn't imply sociability; but if expressed, it can give the impression of a stereotypical extraverted rave-head foaming at the mouth.

Us ENTPs, I'd prefer to say, are more flexible; adolescence doesn't allow us to be too flexible, so we draw back into our laboratories whenever we feel the need to explore something to find an applicable solution. In other words, if something goes wrong, we will constantly prod around for answers until we exhaust the situation......

....and then move on.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh...I don't read much about other personality types so I didn't know...I don't really care about them lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I'm a teenager and I still think that no one is a stranger :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Exactly.

I forgot to add, Ne doesn't imply sociability; but if expressed, it can give the impression of a stereotypical extraverted rave-head foaming at the mouth.

Us ENTPs, I'd prefer to say, are more flexible; adolescence doesn't allow us to be too flexible, so we draw back into our laboratories whenever we feel the need to explore something to find an applicable solution. In other words, if something goes wrong, we will constantly prod around for answers until we exhaust the situation......

....and then move on.
I have to second the laboratory I had in high school, that being my room. All I needed was my computer, books and a few intuitive friends hanging out and I was set.

·
Banned
314 Posts
IDK, maybe I was just dysfunctional due to my awesome (sarcasm) home life, but I was extremely social, and could not stand to be home any night of the week. I worked at 14 just so that I could be out with people and not home - it wasn't just the money and freedom. I'm still like that. If I'm alone too long I actually get tired, physically tired.

One of my BF (ENFP) actually pointed out to me that I am never as fun at a house party as I am at a bar. It dawned on me that she was correct. Even though I am not hanging with everyone at a bar, the sheer volume of people energizes me and I have more fun and am more fun to be around.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Exactly.

....and then move on.
What do you mean -- you're an intj.

1,237 Posts
I'm a teenager and come off as quite introverted.
However, I definitely use Ne as a dominant function. Basically, I don't talk to as many people as my Ne would like so I fall back on my Ti.
I love talking to people, but I'm still socially awkward.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
ENTP = Yang

INTP = Yin

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
ENTPs can come across as introverts during their teenage years. My theory is that during our teenage years, we tend to focus on developing our second function, Ti. In order to develop Ti, it takes some serious alone time and moments of deep contemplation and analysis of oneself, one's life, and surroundings. This of course, results in the illusion that one is perhaps shy or awkward.

ENTP teenagers usually just blame it on hating society, though. :p

·
Banned
20 Posts
YES I agree with the OP that sometimes we are extremely introverted during high school.

In my high school, one class had us take the MBTI test. I remember testing as an ENTP, looked at the description and thought, "HELLLL NO GET OUTTA MAH HAIRZZ" cuz I didn't even think that I was extroverted! The fact was, the profile described me pretty well, until I turned to the ENTP_rel.html page and came across the word "popular," which I know I WASN'T. I'm pretty damn sure that I was a loner during high school since I had alienated just SO MANY people with insults. I had maybe 2-3 really close friends, and that's it.

lol I remember seeing the teacher's reaction: "L-O-L NO SIR YOU ARE INTROVERTED". haha, anyways, since then I've constantly been questioning the ENTP description and overanalyzing the issue from a lot of perspectives until I came across this forum which explained two common (not that it applies to -every single- ENTP) peculiarities of ENTPs: 1) tendency for extraordinarily introverted behavior, and 2) tendency to overanalyze the test result of 'ENTP'

In my sophomore year and even more so during my junior year, lots of girls began to hit on me (it was nothing that I did; I was just good-looking), and entered into a romance with an ENFP during my junior year. In the process, I found my sense of humor that I didn't even know I had and became known as 'the class clown.' Now that I'm in college, I easily found myself a large circle of friends.

I think the introverted behavior is healthy though since the development of less-dominant functions gets kick-started into high gear. That's not to say that we're generally more mature than other types though :p

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Yeah I'd say this is often basically true, even if not literally. Like others here I blame it on Ti kicking into gear and sometimes into overdrive, and the typical high school/teenage experience making our inner world look a lot more appealing ;)

This can be confusing if you try to type yourself before you are 20. I don't think it's coincidence that so many I-to-E NTP type switches (including my own) happen around this age.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts