Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honestly, the Ne users I've known have all been the most amusing people I've ever met.

I absolutely love discussions with my NP friends. When we sit in a circle, the imagery is one of the most hilarious things I've ever witnessed in my life. You know those 'whack a mole' games you see at the arcade? That's how we look like whenever we're in a discussion. Just when you think that the discussion is about to come to a wrap-up, someone in the circle just has to shoot up with a new perspective. And then that's when we start to panic all over again, thinking we've been missing some massive point all along. We basically look like a bunch of frantic idiots standing in a circle. Honestly, discussions with Ne is like throwing an apple up in the air only for it to never again come back down, instead it just hangs up in the air spinning in infinite loops like some idiot. It's amusing as hell. It all gets better when there are SJs in the mix too. This is what you'll see happen when both SJs and NPs are in a discussion: we channel all of our vigor and adrenaline into proposing a new perspective only to keep forgetting the most important facts, which the SJs will then just keep reminding us of with seemingly infinite patience. And then the whole thing just goes no where. The imagery is hilarious as hell, I tell ya.

And then there's me alone. Goddamn am I an amusing kid at times. I remember how there's this one time when I had gotten food poisoning, while I was wearing one of my pair of jeans. I then avoided wearing that particular pair of jeans for years, as I deluded myself into thinking that they were some kind of bad luck charm or something. And then there's also last month or so, when I was browsing through the net and came across an article that seemed to unleash soo many insights in me. I thought that I had figured it all out, and had transcended human psychology or something - the insights were just that powerful. In fact, they were so powerful that the adrenaline that came along with them made my head hurt - I felt soooo dizzy that I had to lay down. So I called it a night and told myself something along the lines of: "I'm a genius...." or something like that before drifting off to sleep. And then I went on to forget all about it the next day.

Oh, and also, the small talk. Holy fuck. Don't even get me started on this one.The small talk between me and my NP/SJ friends are in a complete league of their own. It's absolutely amazing how far we're able to zoom in on the most insignificant of details in our conversations. Honestly, this is what our 'daily' conversations sound like:

Me: So, the weather's been really hot these few days, hasn't it?
Her: Yeah. I had to keep the air conditioner in our house running 24/7.
Me: Really? What brand of air conditioner do you use?
Her: York. How 'bout you?
Me: Wow. Where did you buy it from?
Her: Harvey Norman's. But how 'bout you? What brand do you use?
Me: Uhh...I'm not sure. But mine's all white.
Her: Really? Mine too!
Me: Really? Wow, high five! Oh, and you also said that you had to keep it running 24/7?
Her: Oh, yeah - yesterday, when I woke up, it was so hot that I had to turn it on. 10 am was no better, so I still had to leave it on. When I was eating during lunch -
Me: What did you have for lunch?
Her: Steak. Anyway, it was hot at lunchtime too, so I still kept it on. At 3 pm - you guessed it - still on.
Me: Hm...(shakes head) What about 6 pm?
Her: Still on.
Me: Jeez...that sucks.
Her: Yeah, it does.

Really, can't you guys see it? It's as if we're a bunch of detectives all gathered 'round holding a magnifying glass to a barely visible dot on the wall. It amuses the heck out of me, and I fucking love it.

Also, I find that I along with several Ne users have this amazing ability to rephrase something into a ton of different, unnecessary sentences that basically exists to span an essay out longer than it needs to be. Don't believe me? I'll prove it: The cat is lounging on my couch. The couch is currently being lounged on by my cat; the creases of the couch currently enveloping it, my cat sinking peacefully into it. It's as if my cat is drowning into the very fabrics of my couch, it's as if my couch is devouring it....and I could go on, but I think I've made my point. Honestly, whenever I do this, I think of some random malfunctioning photo booth that spurts out a million different pictures in your face all at once. And the best part is - the differences between those pictures are small enough for the pictures to be considered nearly the same, but also big enough for them to be noticeable, which annoys the hell out of you.

tl;dr: I effing love Ne and its' users.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I never really understood how people say they hate small talk (I mean, I get how it's superficial and stuff) but to me, it was something that could offer opportunities to get into more meaningful or interesting conversations.
I can see how it would, but in my experience it usually ends up in stuff like family, vacations, and fashion, i.e. things I have absolutely no interest in. I would generally prefer to just guide the conversation directly to the sorts of things I want to talk about, such as history, philosophy, and science.

With that said, I must concur that Ne operates in fascinating ways. I find that combining my Ni with someone else's Ne can be a really powerful problem-solving mechanism; they think of possibilities and I can see the probabilities involved. The big downside of Ni is its tendency to zero in on a specific idea or connection of ideas, and working with an Ne-user helps correct for that.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I can see how it would, but in my experience it usually ends up in stuff like family, vacations, and fashion, i.e. things I have absolutely no interest in. I would generally prefer to just guide the conversation directly to the sorts of things I want to talk about, such as history, philosophy, and science.
I guess I meant it in situations where neither parties don't really know what to talk about (it happens a lot in my case)
But for me, it's easy to just move on topic to topic, but I have to start somewhere to get me going.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I never really understood how people say they hate small talk (I mean, I get how it's superficial and stuff) but to me, it was something that could offer opportunities to get into more meaningful or interesting conversations.
Small talk is absolutley depressing to me. It really makes me think that there is no point to anything.

I have a friend who visits often. She is fun to play games with but I HATE it when she comes over while I’m cooking because she’ll say just the most banal shit.

“ Making spaghetti I see.”
“ Oh, tomato paste? Yeah, you gotta have tomato paste.”
“ Boiling some noodles now? Better make sure it doesn’t boil over. That would be a mess.”

Her other favorite topics of conversation are the wea ther and how she’s “ Sooo bad.” for eating dessert.
I just can’t with that shit.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Small talk is absolutley depressing to me. It really makes me think that there is no point to anything.

I have a friend who visits often. She is fin to play games with but I HATE it when she comes over while I’m cooking because she’ll sa6 just the most banal shit.

“ Oh, tomato paste? Yeah, you gotta have to have tomato paste.”
“ Boiling some noodles now? Better make sure it doesn’t boil over. That would be a mess.”

Her other favorite topics of conversation are the whether and how she’s “ Sooo bad.” for eating dessert.
:laughing::laughing::laughing: That's dreadful!

I actually end up saying more things than what I should probably be saying with small talks.

This always happens with taxi drivers when they start mentioning the weather, and then somehow it just ends up with me talking about, like, what I want to do after finishing college or something :p

·
Registered
897 Posts

I have a friend who visits often. She is fin to play games with but I HATE it when she comes over while I’m cooking because she’ll sa6 just the most banal shit.

“ Oh, tomato paste? Yeah, you gotta have to have tomato paste.”

Her other favorite topics of conversation are the whether and how she’s “ Sooo bad.” for eating dessert.
She's likely only saying these things because she can't handle silence well. It sounds like there's not much talking going on while you're doing this. She wants to fill that gap because silence is stressful to some people (two big sources of social anxiety for me are 1. feeling judged and 2. awkward silence) and, while she'd really like to fill it with something interesting and substantial, she can't think of anything good, so she's stuck desperately saying lame shit like that.

Help her out. :p Say something interesting yourself. The convo doesn't even have to continue for long! But just get that rapport going so she can feel comfortable with any long pauses that follow.

I mean, I might be wrong about all of this but I've encountered it a lot in myself and others. Feelings of initial awkwardness, even when you've known each other for a long time, are usually the issue.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
She's likely only saying these things because she can't handle silence well. It sounds like there's not much talking going on while you're doing this. She wants to fill that gap because silence is stressful to some people
This!! Especially when I can hear myself breathing and I feel like I'm breathing too loud, so I have the need to say something :laughing:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Nah, they're just tiring and increasingly annoying as I get more tired. :p

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

With that said, I must concur that Ne operates in fascinating ways. I find that combining my Ni with someone else's Ne can be a really powerful problem-solving mechanism; they think of possibilities and I can see the probabilities involved. The big downside of Ni is its tendency to zero in on a specific idea or connection of ideas, and working with an Ne-user helps correct for that.
You know, I have to agree with @zombiefishy. I actually don't mind small talk. I'll take small talk, deep talk, or silence. So long as there's an idea I like or something is interesting to me, I really don't care what the talk is about. Often I like to hear people talk because people are like mysteries to me. And the words they say shine light on the inner workings of their mind. If they talk about family, vacations, fashion, I like to listen. Sometimes I like small talk because I'm fascinated by the idea of this person I have in front of me.

I also love learning more about what others find meaningful. If someone really likes fishing, I want to know what draws them to it. How is it significant to them? I just wonder.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The same way philosophical talk, talking about abstract concepts, ideas and theories can bore someone, small talk bore the living hell out of me. To each their own, it is a simple as that. From my perspective, it is less about understanding and more about accepting different people seek different things.

I have this friend and we only talk to each other when there is something to be talked about. It has been over a month since we last chatted, but when we do chat? Oh, it goes on for hours, days. There is substance. I am sure this approach doesn't work for everyone, though.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts

The same way philosophical talk, talking about abstract concepts, ideas and theories can bore someone, small talk bore the living hell out of me. To each their own, it is a simple as that. From my perspective, it is less about understanding and more about accepting different people seek different things.

I do get it now that people have different abilities in the way they handle conversations. It's like how I sometimes cannot get myself to keep talking about one same topic for too long as I find myself getting disinterested after a while and lose focus.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I do get it now that people have different abilities in the way they handle conversations. It's like how I sometimes cannot get myself to keep talking about one same topic for too long as I find myself getting disinterested after a while and lose focus.
Oh I'm the exact opposite when it comes to these things, like I find myself talking about the same things frequently that I sound like an absolute broken record at times.

·
Registered
746 Posts

I have a friend who visits often. She is fun to play games with but I HATE it when she comes over while I’m cooking because she’ll say just the most banal shit.

“ Oh, tomato paste? Yeah, you gotta have tomato paste.”

Her other favorite topics of conversation are the wea ther and how she’s “ Sooo bad.” for eating dessert.

It's the first time I've ever fully agree with an ENTJ about something, because conversation can depress me and I've jumped into plenty a conversation to discover I've made a horrible mistake and now I will never get that time back that was lost due to pointless conversation.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
I misread the title as 'Aren't Ne users just annoying' and came here to coin my enthusiastic agreement. Now I'm disappointed.

Reactions: zombiefishy

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
:laughing:

It usually takes me a while to process Ne users if they have what I would call an eccentric way of using it. There has been so many times with my ENTP stepdad (who I really like) where I am just like... "where in the hell did this topic come from, why, is there a point (no :laughing: ), is this leading anywhere" (usually he means to lead it somewhere, but after all the rabbit holes one is just like WTF did you waste 10 minutes of my precious life for just to add these theatrics and anticipation for just to get to that at the end, just why). I notice NFPs consolidate a bit more probably because of Fi/Te (thank gawd) but even them if you bring up a topic of interest it's like getting stuck in a mirage where you're so close to water but just can't get out.

My youngest daughter is NP it can feel so painful waiting for her to get to subject matter at times.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
I truthfully cannot comprehend how you guys can bear "small talk". It makes me feel very strange. Like both parties are just awkwardly waiting for something, but it never comes. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts