Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know whether I am an INFP or an ENFP. Maybe even a stressed ENTP? I don't know, I'm confused.

Can anyone judge me as a third perspective, with what I am? Tests are useless to me, I've tried them all and I can manipulate the answers to get the result I want.

I don't think I am an INFP because I think the description of the ENFP fits me more than the INFP. But due to anxiety and whatnot, I can be quite shy.

I know this like the 139485th thread about INFPvsENFP but it'd be nice to be settled down with an answer.

Some traits about me:
- I love being loved, respected, and being invited by others. I hate it when people depend on me though.
- I can be logical at times, but feelings from current experiences overwhelm me.
- When I'm in an oppressive environment, I shut down and become very quiet. I think I do it for the attention, so that people would ask me, 'What's wrong?'
- I love sharing. And I love it when people trust me to share with me.
- I can be very snappy with comebacks and insults. It's like instinct to me.
- I love arguing and debating.
- I enjoy being weird and 'kooky'. It's refreshing to not give a fuck, and laugh it off.
- I enjoy talking to a group of people, if it is in a controlled environment, where people will mutually respect each other.
- I can be quite shy, but I also had a terrible childhood.
- I enjoy having many acquaintances but I always have one or two people that I really count on, and truly enjoy being with without any pressure.
- I loved reading when I was a kid. Goosebumps, Harry Potter, etc. I remember though that when I would read, I would always skim through paragraphs, which left me out a lot of detail but I always got the gist of the book. Therefore, I was always a super fast reader, though not a very detailed focused one. It's like the opposite for me now. I read slowly, but I absorb everything.
- I enjoy the presence of people who are non-judgmental and laugh at when I say something funny.
- I respect those who are different from others but don't care, and will do things without shame.
- When I don't know someone, I always listen more than I speak. When I'm with someone I trust/am comfortable with, I always speak more.
- I hate doing what's expected of me in society. eg: clapping as an audience when I don't mean it, being socially appropriate, sucking up to others.
- It's easy for me to see the motive behind people's actions. But it severely depresses me, so I try not to if I can help it.
- My mind is CONSTANTLY wandering around. Ne overload. But I am also very intense with my emotions.
- Human relationships interest me. Why do people do what they do, why do people respect him but not her, etc etc.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
ENFP or ENTP me thinks.
The difference is that ENFPs use Fi and Te as their judging functions. ENTPs use Ti and Fe.
ENFPs are self-empathizing (introverted feeing) and can be judging of others doing illogical things (extraverted logic). ENTPs are self-critical (introverted logic) and can be judging of others being impolite, unfair, greedy, i.e. behaving in ways that go against moral code (extraverted feeling).

You can read more about Fe, Te, Fi, and Ti in the links below to decide which ones do you think are closest to the way you think/feel.
ENFP Wiki
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
Function Attitude

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't think I am an INFP because I think the description of the ENFP fits me more than the INFP. But due to anxiety and whatnot, I can be quite shy.
I've been reading some of your threads in the ENFP section. Them, and your two observations above, make me think that you are an ENFP. I probably could formulate more reasons, but these seems enough to make a conclusion regarding INFP/ENFP.

Has anything happened recently that makes you question your type?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hm. I'll take a guess that you're ENFP. Maybe ENTP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to personality pathways .com, took a simple test and found out I,m type I.S.T.J. I hope it's not contagious..:unsure:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been reading some of your threads in the ENFP section. Them, and your two observations above, make me think that you are an ENFP. I probably could formulate more reasons, but these seems enough to make a conclusion regarding INFP/ENFP.

Has anything happened recently that makes you question your type?
Yeah, like I've said before, because of my childhood I became very reclusive and shy. I'm afraid of what other people think about me, so I can be very quiet. Well, okay so I guess I am an extrovert, just a very stunted one. What can you tell me about my personality type regarding ENFP/INFP.

And to the other poster above, I seem to use both Fe and Fi. But idk which one I am more comfortable with. They both seem pretty uncomfortable to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh oops, ^to the post above, I meant ENFP/ENTP

I already established the fact I am an extrovert. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Going further on your comment about being uncomfortable with Fe/Fi...

If you are an ENFP with a weak (auxiliary) Fi, you would probably be relying more on your dominant Ne and your tertiary Te.
If you are an ENTP with a weak (tertiarty) Fe, you would probably be relying more on your dominant Ne and your auxiliary Ti.

So if you find it hard to decide between Fe and Fi, do you think you prefer Ti or Te? Do you prefer to analyse or organise?

For Fi/Fe, vel often posts this:

Exercise 1:
• As you come across the action of any mammal engaged in any activity (including humans), say to yourself, "He/she is feeling ______ because he is needing ______" and fill in the blanks. Guess the mammal's emotion as accurately as you can, by paying close attention to every detail of its behavior and trying to imagine what emotion that you might feel if you were that kind of mammal and acting that way. Guess the need by intuiting the inner calling of the animal that is emerging in the way it's responding to its environment, by recalling a similar need of your own. For example, if you see a Scotty dog sniffing around at a new suitcase, you might guess, "He is feeling apprehensive because he has a need to know he's safe." Or you might guess, "He is feeling curious because he has a need to learn all about the world around him." It depends unpredictably on exactly what you really observe. Key is to watch the mammal extremely closely, so your guess emerges spontaneously from empathizing, and not, say, by consciously reasoning on the basis of something you've read. Your guess must come from the fact that you yourself genuinely feel it. It must come from the heart.
• Try the same exercise on yourself at odd moments: self-empathy. Simply monitor how much you like or dislike something, and what in your nature is being fulfilled or frustrated to cause that feeling of like or dislike. Note that attending to your emotion alone is not enough; you must trace the emotion back to a need that is being fulfilled or frustrated. However, if you're having trouble with this, you might try just consciously noting your emotion for a while, as a starter exercise.

Exercise #2:
• Make a list of people you have some culturally recognized relationship with: different relatives, your spouse or boy/girlfriend, your boss/employees/co-workers, etc., and identify your ritual obligations to them that derive from (or define) these relationships. For example, whose birthday must you remember? Who must you send a Christmas card to? How must you dress at different occasions to indicate your relationship to your co-workers? Whom do you call by their first name and whom by an honorific (even "Mom")? How is it made obvious to all that you have this relationship? How would you feel or how would they feel if someone did not perform their ritual obligations?
• As you come across the action of any person engaged in any activity, say to yourself, "he did ______ because he wants to show ______ relationship." For example, if a man tips his hat to a lady, say to yourself, "He tipped his hat to her because he wants to show that he is loyal to her." If a woman quotes Proust in a conversation, say to yourself, "She quoted Proust to show that she wants to be seen as the expert and she wants others to defer to her authority." This can get very complex and tricky. For example, what does it mean if someone doesn't show up at your baby shower? Does that show that they don't consider you an important person in their life? If a friend you haven't seen in a long time addresses you as "Mr. Tibbs" (assuming your last name is Tibbs), what does that show about your friend's understanding of your friendship? That's an awfully formal way for friends to speak, so it seems like a cold gesture, aimed at showing that he wants to keep you at a distance. See any Seinfeld episode for lots more analysis of this kind.
• Try to get someone to treat you a certain way that defines a role for you. For example, try to get someone to treat you like royalty, or like a disposable slave, or like an expert authority, or like an eager student who wants to learn from them. You will have to, in some way, define a complementary role for them at the same time, through your actions. You can't ask explicitly that they treat you that way, except as a very last resort. You have to get the mutual roles going by, in effect, painting them in the complementary role first so they find themselves naturally playing along and painting you in the role you want. You may find that it's tricky to get painted in a positive role, but it can be done if you give the other person a complementary role that they really like. In effect, an implicit contract is created: you paint them in a role they like, and they paint you in a role you like
Which do you relate to more?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
^I tend to use both, but I think I'm prone to the first.

Does that mean I am an ENFP?
The first is Fi, which is the auxiliary in ENFP. It's not conclusive proof, but a good indication.

Would you say you use more Te or Ti? Do you prefer to analyse or organise? Are you more into the details of making a plan, or trying to get the big picture and the concepts? Do you prefer to seek your own conclusion or consensus when solving a practical or intellectual problem?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first is Fi, which is the auxiliary in ENFP. It's not conclusive proof, but a good indication.

Would you say you use more Te or Ti? Do you prefer to analyse or organise? Are you more into the details of making a plan, or trying to get the big picture and the concepts? Do you prefer to seek your own conclusion or consensus when solving a practical or intellectual problem?
I think I analyze more. I'm more into trying to get the big picture and the concepts. I prefer to seek my own opinion when solving a practical problem and a consensus when solving an intellectual problem.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think I analyze more. I'm more into trying to get the big picture and the concepts. I prefer to seek my own opinion when solving a practical problem and a consensus when solving an intellectual problem.
Ok, so that's not fully pointing in the same direction. That's really a good thing in real life—it just makes typing you a bit less obvious... Being more analytical than strategical is more Ti than Te. So this points towards Ti. Seeking consensus rather than your own mind is Te, but I might just have phrased my questions poorly. An ENFP should in theory use more Te than Ti. Still, for an ENFP, T is the tertiary function, so if it is hard for you to make the distinction between Ti and Te that might interfere that could be an explanation, as well as my example not being very well thought out. You are probably better off looking at other descriptions of these functions...

Looking back I see you didn't respond to vel's post. Which of these two do you relate more to?
ENFPs are self-empathizing (introverted feeing) and can be judging of others doing illogical things (extraverted logic). ENTPs are self-critical (introverted logic) and can be judging of others being impolite, unfair, greedy, i.e. behaving in ways that go against moral code (extraverted feeling).
Also, have done any reading up on the cognitive functions, as per vel's links? If so, what is your reaction?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so I've been doing some self-reflection over the weekend.
I am self-empathizing but I judge others of going against moral code.

I think I use Fi, which might explain my intense emotions. I have a natural tendency to be kind and treat others the way I want to be treated.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok, so I've been doing some self-reflection over the weekend.
I am self-empathizing but I judge others of going against moral code.

I think I use Fi, which might explain my intense emotions. I have a natural tendency to be kind and treat others the way I want to be treated.
Do you think you could give examples? Any specific situations?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back then, I was quite a dick to my little brother. But now, I realize everything I've done to him and felt intensely guilty about it, so I would try to 'take care' of him but being nice to him. What compels me to do this is imagining what it would be like if I would do the same things I've done to him to myself.

Also, in public and meeting strangers, I can be very accommodating and too nice, but I don't know whether it's because I want others to treat me the same or I'm just being unconfident.

Mkay, well, this is a bit confusing, since I'm pretty damn sure I used to be an ENTP/INTP but then I shifted to using Fi now.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Back then, I was quite a dick to my little brother. But now, I realize everything I've done to him and felt intensely guilty about it, so I would try to 'take care' of him but being nice to him. What compels me to do this is imagining what it would be like if I would do the same things I've done to him to myself.

Also, in public and meeting strangers, I can be very accommodating and too nice, but I don't know whether it's because I want others to treat me the same or I'm just being unconfident.

Mkay, well, this is a bit confusing, since I'm pretty damn sure I used to be an ENTP/INTP but then I shifted to using Fi now.
The bolded part in your first paragraph is typically Fi. As for the second section, it is in my view the fact that shy people with Fi tend to have both those reasons to be accomodating that can sometimes drive them deep into self-denial.

I think what you are going through is (re)discovering your Fi and letting it balance your Te. If so, then you are not an ENTP turning into an ENFP, but an ENFP who has earlier relied heavily on his Ne and Te (the dominant and tertiary functions) but who is now turning to better use of his feeling function to. The MBTI type and the associated cognitive functions are preferences, not actual use or competence, so if your environment growing up has been inhibiting your development of your Fi, it is natural that it will make itself known later in life instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts