Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THAT'S IT.... I GIVE UP!! I TOTALLY GIVE UP!!!!

AFTER GOING THROUGH ENDLESS THREADS IN THIS FORUM... READING FACTS, HOW PEOPLE THINK AND HOW PEOPLE ARE..... I JUST CAN'T GET IT!!!

I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT EACH FUNCTIONS DO!!!

Si, Se, Te, Ti, Ni , Ne, Fi, Fe

YEAH YEAH YEAH..... BLA BLA BLA.....

I KNOW YOU ALL CAN EXPLAIN IN YOUR BOOMBASTIC WORDS... USING ALL YOUR WIERD PSYCHOLICALISTIC VOCABULARYS... AND ALL YOUR PSYCHOTIC ANALOGIES.

CAN YOU ALL PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE USE LAYMAN TERMS??? LIKE GIVE SOME EXAMPLES PLEASE

AND ONE MORE THING....

NOBODY HAS EVER EXPLAINED WHY WE CAN'T HAVE BOTH E AS DOMINANT AND AUXILIARY

SUCH AS
TE AS DOMINANT AND SE AS AUXILIARY
TI AS DOMINANT AND SI AS AUXILIARY (AND ETC)

WHY NOT?? FROM ALL THE EXPLANATIONS ON THE FUNCTIONS SO FAR... IT ALL SEEMS POSSIBLE....

WHY MUST TE FOLLOW NI???? WHY MUST AN E FOLLOW AN I???? ARGHHHHHH!!!

ok ok... i've let it out... there! FIUH.....

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Simulatedworld has two threads that will help you with this. The first is his " Intro to Function Theory + More Detailed Descriptions of Each Function Attitude" and the second is his "Dominant-Tertiary Loops and Common Personality Disorders" thread.

For starters, you want to learn about psychology without learning the vocab? That's absolutely mind-blowing for me. Would you learn the sport of baseball without memorizing and learning what each position was called, and maybe some of the rules of the game? Seems pretty standard. Why do you want to skip this step? This step is the sine qua non of the art. Next, you don't want to deal with the analogies? They are there to help you learn the terms.

If someone was dominant and auxiliary E or I, they would have zero access to the other. A double E would be cut off from introspection and be some sort of animalistic automaton. A double I would be locked into hellish isolation in their own brain. The E/I, I/E creates a phenomenological space where consciousness can develop and consciousness seems to be by definition that which mediates between the internal and external. You need both.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Look, here is a very simplistic analogy to understanding the Extraversion and the Introversion of your personality. As Geometry pointed out, we need both to be a balanced person. Ignore the actual functions for now, focus on the Attitudes (jargon for Extraversion and Introversion). Okay, here it goes (everyone else feel free to jump in):

Let's say that your personality is two rooms. Your Extraversion is the parlor, your Introversion is, say, a private study. The parlor is the outer world, the room that everyone you come in contact with is allowed to be in, the side of you that others see. The study is the inner world of thoughts and ideas, of contemplation and reflection. This room only a select few, if any, are allowed to enter.

Extraverts prefer to be in the parlor, the outer world, to engage and be engaged; rarely do they venture into the private study. Maybe they only run in to fetch a book, or they use it to dump unwanted items. It is very dusty in there. But since the parlor is their best, dominant side, that's what everyone sees. They sometimes forget that the study is there.

Introverts prefer the quiet sanctuary of the private study; rarely do they open the door to outsiders in the parlor, or venture into the parlor to greet the guests. The paint is peeling off the walls, the furniture is piled up with overflow and clutter from the study, mail piled up unread by the door. The study is where the Introverts spend most of their time, and they'll rarely invite anyone in for a peek, so whoever comes to visit will only see the Introvert's second best. Whether the parlor is welcoming to guests is up to them.

And I don't even want to mention the basement...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts