Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As this title suggests, INTP's naturally end up 'arguing with ourselves' in our inner world when not dealing with external. But even with this, somewhat natural state of affairs inside our mind; have you ever felt:

'If you win, you lose'. And even if 'you lose, you win'.

Today, I had such an argument while driving near a barbershop to get a haircut or wait. A few seconds later, I had driven past it with my mind made up, or so I thought...

I ended up turning around half a mile away to get a haircut.

I honestly think me is the scariest deal breaker or negotiator for me in life and if I was ever cloned then married to myself, it would be... awkward decision making to say the least. But then again, other me at worst would probably be an INTx...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Recognise it alot from few years back, when I was outweighing virtually everything.

I now tend to solve this state of mind often with a 'ok, let's get it over with' statement in my head.
My current approach to many of the 'needs':

- Better than having picked the wrong option: don't pick at all.
- Better than doing the wrong thing: don't do it at all.
- If needed because of good reason (whether me agreeing or not): get it over with and just submit to the flow.

Worked ok so far for:
Supermarkets, hairdressers, product choices, getting work done etc etc.
Doesn't work for:
Cleaning

·
Registered
798 Posts
Oh sure. I go back and forth on things in my head (and be honest, verbally... I'm probably not crazy) many a time. Worst part is, no matter how much I debate myself or how many points I make, I always FEEL like my decisions are based on 'Oh, screw it...'

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Endless disputes, thinking and re-thinking over arguments, and then making the decision on the basis of precisely none of those arguments, but instead on the basis that I need to forcibly end the internal debate, since no natural end-point is emerging. Such "decisions" never seem satisfactory.

Reactions: Sava Saevus

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I play devil's advocate with myself all the time. Sometimes I even go as far as using a friend or an acquaintance to play out future debates/arguments with them...keep in mind that those kinds of future debates/arguments never happens with them and it's all just in my head. Or sometimes if one of my friends got into an argument with me and I couldn't think of a good comeback, I would go back home and a little later think of a good comeback in my head and continue that argument with my friend...in my head.

Reactions: xraydav

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It used to be a problem but once I realized that most of the times I'd get into a 50/50 situation, I apply the 'fuck it' option and choose either a or b and then keep going without thinking back because, following the argument I had in my head, both may be correct or wrong with almost equal probability. Works wonders for daily/trivial activities like grocery shopping, paperwork, etc.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I play devil's advocate with myself all the time. Sometimes I even go as far as using a friend or an acquaintance to play out future debates/arguments with them...keep in mind that those kinds of future debates/arguments never happens with them and it's all just in my head. Or sometimes if one of my friends got into an argument with me and I couldn't think of a good comeback, I would go back home and a little later think of a good comeback in my head and continue that argument with my friend...in my head.
I do this as well. You go back even if you know it was a good argument or conversation, you go back home and you must perfect it. I don't know what good it does though , I just do it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I do this as well. You go back even if you know it was a good argument or conversation, you go back home and you must perfect it. I don't know what good it does though , I just do it.
Yeah, it's not necessarily a good or a bad thing, it's just something we simply do. Our existence primarily exists inside our heads.

Reactions: xraydav
1 - 16 of 16 Posts