Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For basic information: My mom is an ESTJ and my sister is a ExTJ. I raised my sister (not just babysat) and my mom has been not such a great mother...at all...ever, but she tried/tries.

I was having a conversation with my mom today and she said that i come off as major arrogant and look-down-the-nose. She also said that i have common sense but refuse to use it, which i have no dispute about except i dont think i have very much common sense anyways but i digress. I know that when I'm in a bad mood (like I have been for last few months because my mom lost her job and is now always about 5 feet away) I tend to get cold and distant. I was just wondering if anyone else gets this way when in an extremely foul mood.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Sometimes introversion or the tendency to withdraw when overwhelmed can be falsely interpreted as arrogance by extroverts who don't know any better. A person may have trouble empathizing with your need for "alone time" when you are stressed out if one doesn't share it.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
fuggedaboutit....

of the extroverted types, ENFP's tend to understand best intuitively my need for personal time. of course, i had to tell him in indirect terms, but he understood and is OK with it. whereas other types see me as an arrogant know-it-all and/or airhead.

·
Premium Member
15,252 Posts
... I was just wondering if anyone else gets this way when in an extremely foul mood.
Oh yeah. The only thing I know to say is take care of yourself, not your mother. What I mean by that is I need time by myself when I get in a bad mood, it's like a cooling off period for me. Nah... it's really like I just put myself in Time-Out until I'm ready to come out. Maybe your mom doesn't understand all about being an introvert or she's super-stressed about losing her job? I dunno....

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I do get cold and distant whenever I'm in a bad mood... In fact, I just avoid people altogether. This really riles my ESTJ mom like nobody's business. :crazy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts