Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember listening to Art Bell as a teenager, contrails and conspiracies and all that good stuff. Dude has a ham radio and believes in the paranormal. Broadcasted from his own station in the middle of the Nevadan desert.

I think he could have been INFP/INTP.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
Ahhhh, yes, Art Bell... I don't think I've ever really thought about his type! Now that I'm thinking about it though, I am leaning toward INTP, but I'll give it some more thought :)

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The combination of his voice and his level of knowledge/curiosity was amazing. Made for the best late night radio program ever. I think I was the only one in my whole school who even listened to Art Bell.

I remember when the movie Contact came out in 1997, and it immediately reminded me of the Coast to Coast show. I love that movie, so INFP....I couldn't get the story out of my head for a long time. And Jodie Foster played her role perfectly. The synergy of Art Bell and Contact that year was one of the most indelible memories of my adolescence.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I loved Art Bell. Knew how to tell a story, great interviewer, openminded but didn't suffer fools, set the perfect late night mood, great voice. George Noory is none of those things and I only listen to the show now when George Knapp is on.

Even got into a few artists because of the bumper music. I hope he's back on radio someday but I doubt it.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I loved Art Bell. Knew how to tell a story, great interviewer, openminded but didn't suffer fools, set the perfect late night mood, great voice. George Noory is none of those things and I only listen to the show now when George Knapp is on.

Even got into a few artists because of the bumper music. I hope he's back on radio someday but I doubt it.
Noory's okay. He's certainly no Art Bell, but he is passionate just the same. Bumper music is when I go pee :p

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Noory's okay. He's certainly no Art Bell, but he is passionate just the same. Bumper music is when I go pee :p
I actively dislike the guy. I'll just leave it there. :p Here's a great Art song. Hold it until it's over ;)

And re: Contact, I agree wholeheartedly. The sequence in the pod just destroys me, in a good way of course.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I can't stand Noory. I stopped listening to the show when Art Bell retired. He had such a sharp mind, and he could paint entire vistas in your head with such ease. You could tell it was his life and passion. I was sad when he went off the air. Oh well. And he has a hot wife.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

And Tool made a song of it, which freaked me out once on psychedelics...

Reactions: refugee

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love that Tool track, brings back some fond memories!

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahahahahahahaha it's so funny you should say that because that's exactly what I did too. I'd be trying to get to sleep, but my insomnia would take over, and so I'd be under the covers glued to my crappy SONY stereo alarm/radio. I think I could have been OCD or something. Bumper music was time for tinkles, lol.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I can't stand Noory. I stopped listening to the show when Art Bell retired. He had a such a sharp mind, and he could paint entire vistas in your head with such ease. You could tell it was his life and passion. I was sad when he went off the air. Oh well. And he has a hot wife.
Yeah, I still find it pretty disappointing. Give Knapp a try sometime; he's usually on Sundays. He's not the same kind of master dreamweaver but he's a smart guy and genuinely interested in the topics, usually UFO stuff (my favorite).

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I still find it pretty disappointing. Give Knapp a try sometime; he's usually on Sundays. He's not the same kind of master dreamweaver but he's a smart guy and genuinely interested in the topics, usually UFO stuff (my favorite).
Perhaps I will.

On another tangent, I find it somewhat freaky that when I hear a repeat of one of his old shows, it instantly takes me back to that neurotic, curious, eccentric, quirky, sacred time. Also, I remember when I was listening some nights, and I wondered to myself where I would be in 10 years from that point. Damn my Ne was out of control. Looking back now, it was a touchstone moment where I became more aware of my intuitive side. I mean I was always intuitive, but it manifested itself more prominently in my life. Probably why I almost failed high school and college, but managed to graduate both in the "normal" amount of time.

Listening to him was like listening to a warm, smart, quirky uncle.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Firstly, I would like to say <333333333333333333 !!!
I haven't thought of his type, but oh how I loved when he was hosting c2c. He was knowledgeable not -just- engaging with the callers. Noory had some big shoes to fill when he came along after art started taking breaks.

Anyway, I thought about it a bit and I think art bell is a socionics delta introvert.. sli (SiTe) or eii (FiNe) -- and I am leaning toward FiNe.

I have no prob with him typed as an infp in mbti.

And for those who are just interested in the show, well theres new hosts of course and its not as good as it used to be, but its still pretty cool. Theres a streaming online place to listen off of darknessradio.com 's show -- and naturally c2c is still on from 1am-5am, so it will stream on that channel online during those hours. Darkness is often pretty cool too if you want to try another paranormal radio show. The host is a bit silly at times but hes a pretty cool guy. : D

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I can't stand Noory. I stopped listening to the show when Art Bell retired. He had such a sharp mind, and he could paint entire vistas in your head with such ease. You could tell it was his life and passion. I was sad when he went off the air. Oh well. And he has a hot wife.
Yes.. agreed that he had a passion for it.. and it really showed in the quality of his hosting.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Art Bell's show made me do these things (for real)...hahaha....

1. His Y2K show made me stock up on oatmeal and water. Nothing happened. WTF.
2. His contrails show made me scared of Jet contrails. Apparently there was no poison/chemicals in them. The government was not experimenting on its citizens.
3. His alien-sound-in-a-mine show made me terrified of mines.
4. His exorcism show with Father Malachi Martin made me scared of demons.

It was fun nonetheless, to pretend to live in the end times.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes.. agreed that he had a passion for it.. and it really showed in the quality of his hosting.
He had such versatility, I think he was the only guy in radio who didn't screen his callers. One of my favorite aspects was his guests, he could talk about almost everything under the sun.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
He had such versatility, I think he was the only guy in radio who didn't screen his callers. One of my favorite aspects was his guests, he could talk about almost everything under the sun.
In contrast.. how awkward was noory when he first started lol. He often just had nothing to say. He really has gotten so much better but he will never be able to measure up to art -- the wealth of knowledge, and passion.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In contrast.. how awkward was noory when he first started lol. He often just had nothing to say. He really has gotten so much better but he will never be able to measure up to art -- the wealth of knowledge, and passion.
Yeah, I remember the first time I heard him, very awkward. He tried to emulate Art's voice and direction, but it was languid. He didn't seem comfortable with himself. Of course, over time, he did get better, but his timing and acumen was clearly inferior.

I wouldn't say it was a case of Mozart vs Salieri, but I could imagine the frustration Noory had when he took over the show. But, Art was very gracious and supported him, which I think helped his confidence.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts