Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I found a very interesting article about dopamine, ADHD and ENTP character on reddit.

Some parts are an absolute gold, like:

Dopamine is also important in emotion processing. Now I still have not found if it is (A) having too few dopamine receptors or (B) having too little dopamine available. But either way, if you have A or B, you feel emotions less. That would explain the dull emotions of an ENTP.
Hyperactivity condenses to having way too much unused potential. The energy is like a limitless battery and the charge is constantly to ping over to different things, like a lighting in a cloud.
That is why hyperactive people get extremely hyperactive when drunk – the filters that had been holding the energy at bay to some extent, are gone. All of the potential has to be expressed now and it is done so with the full force.
The inability to focus, dullness of life and feeling emotionless will go away if you start doing what you want in life, like become an entrepreneur and travel a lot (well, a digital nomad), divorce yourself from the system and start living on your own, through taking a lot of successful risks – then your dopamine receptors will start to grow like mushrooms after rain, and you will feel the rewards of life in their full glory.
Now, I think the connection between ADHD and ENTP was talked about here quite a lot, imo it's not the same thing.. I have an ADHD diagnosed friend, and even if he was not diagnosed... you just see it. This guy has infinite energy. He is like a 4 year old kid energy-wise, just running around, spitting fire, picking up girls, making sounds, jumping on things, speaking his mind, rapping, making music... my best friend :D

But I think that ENTPs are ADD, or at least I am.
What do you think of the points in the article? lifedirector.eu/2018/07/09/how-your-friend-dopamine-affects-your-focus-and-satisfaction-with-life

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yesterday I found a very interesting article about dopamine, ADHD and ENTP character on reddit.

Some parts are an absolute gold, like:
Now, I think the connection between ADHD and ENTP was talked about here quite a lot, imo it's not the same thing.. I have an ADHD diagnosed friend, and even if he was not diagnosed... you just see it. This guy has infinite energy. He is like a 4 year old kid energy-wise, just running around, spitting fire, picking up girls, making sounds, jumping on things, speaking his mind, rapping, making music... my best friend :D

But I think that ENTPs are ADD, or at least I am.
What do you think of the points in the article? lifedirector.eu/2018/07/09/how-your-friend-dopamine-affects-your-focus-and-satisfaction-with-life
As an ENTP with ADHD and having an ENTP brother without ADHD, I can tell you that they are unrelated. Most of what in that article is a bunch of crap. The foremost experts in the world on ADHD classify ADHD as an executive function disorder. People with ADHD are developmentally limited in the areas of the brain where the executive functions reside. Psychostimulants (like methylphenidate and dextroamphetamine) increase the available amount of dopamine in the brain and help an ADHD brain function more like a neuro-typical brain. This guy/gal talking about taking methylphenidate and the effects it has, yeah, maybe for a neuro-typical brain it may be like that. For a person with ADHD, it's the difference between getting your job done at work and leaving the day with a notepad of doodles, 10 half-finished SMS conversations, 50 browser tabs open, five new games on your phone, half a 5lb. bag of gummi worms in your stomach, and wondering where all the time went.

Emotionally, people with ADHD can share some symptoms in common with borderlines. They aren't BPD, but some of the emotional outbursts can be very similar with mood swings that would make a rapid-cycling bipolar disorder sufferer spin their heads.

I will say that drinking makes me more energetic, I can't sleep with any amount of alcohol in my bloodstream. It just doesn't work.

So yeah, all of that is basically armchair science and means shit.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
976 Posts
Hmmm...I am an ENTP and I have ADHD (my mom is INTP and brother is INFP and they both have ADHD as well). I feel like people see an association and label it causation. As one with both, I can see that there are a lot of commonalities (lack of attention or the "multiple tabs open at once thing"; possibly hyperactivity and hyper focus, disorganized, etc), however, they aren't specific to ENTP. Often, I think they also have to do with the educational system. It is similar to INTPs and people labeling them with ASD simply because of how they think and communicate, and a lack of socially visible empathy often.

So, I would say that certain things in the article are interesting (the effect of dopamine when traveling) is anecdotally true for ENTPs. It is for me anyhow. It seems sort of like a blog post.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...I am an ENTP and I have ADHD (my mom is INTP and brother is INFP and they both have ADHD as well). I feel like people see an association and label it causation. As one with both, I can see that there are a lot of commonalities (lack of attention or the "multiple tabs open at once thing"; possibly hyperactivity and hyper focus, disorganized, etc), however, they aren't specific to ENTP. Often, I think they also have to do with the educational system. It is similar to INTPs and people labeling them with ASD simply because of how they think and communicate, and a lack of socially visible empathy often.

So, I would say that certain things in the article are interesting (the effect of dopamine when traveling) is anecdotally true for ENTPs. It is for me anyhow. It seems sort of like a blog post.
Yeah, it feels kind of like a blog post - the author interchangeably used his opinions and facts, or at least I got the feeling from that article.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
I had ADHD (have). My brothers both did (do)
My two sons as well. My male cousins .....

Almost everybody I know that had no feminine traits and/or was sporadic in nature had ADHD.

Almost seems suspect.

Certainly I am not trying to detract the actual suffering of
people with ADHD and/or say it is not valid. If anything I believe the
people who actually suffer from ADHD are being marginalized due to the
overreaching school /pschy sector basically being shutdown happy.
A muted student is a good student.

Just an observation.

---------------------

My brothers do/did not have ADHD, never did. I do not have ADHD, never did.
My cousins do not have ADHD ...never did. My sons do not have ADHD...never did.

The school systems and doctors were positive though. Especially the teachers.
They were hand to god positive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts