Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we prevent humans ending up feeling inferiour to robots, cobots, computers and machines as these take over for our skills, jobs and talents?

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
have an assortment of pamphlets on alternative lifestyles:

becoming a trappist monk/nun

becoming a buddhist monk/sister

joining the amish

living off grid

tinyhomes & rv conversions real estate

'insert here' the ins and outs of robosexuality

coming out as robosexual

why put granny in a home when you can let her live out the best years of her life in Virtual Gardens? Donate her body today to help fight global warming while getting an electric credit for every year she's alive for all your family's usage. don't let the weak, affirm, otherwise old or just plain useless be a burden on society when they can power the systems for our matrix a.i. making life a little easier for everyone today!.

need to research more; I'll be back

·
Banned
ISFP SEI-Fe
2,492 Posts
have an assortment of pamphlets on alternative lifestyles:

becoming a trappist monk/nun

becoming a buddhist monk/sister

joining the amish

living off grid

tinyhomes & rv conversions real estate

'insert here' the ins and outs of robosexuality

coming out as robosexual

why put granny in a home when you can let her live out the best years of her life in Virtual Gardens? Donate her body today to help fight global warming while getting an electric credit for every year she's alive for all your family's usage. don't let the weak, affirm, otherwise old or just plain useless be a burden on society when they can power the systems for our matrix a.i. making life a little easier for everyone today!.

need to research more; I'll be back

You are really good at blurring fine line between trolling and craziness. I really find your posts interesting. Lol. When will your research be done? I'm here waiting.

·
Premium Member
37,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgive me, I am being dystopian again.

Reactions: Wylie and Rift

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
You are really good at blurring fine line between trolling and craziness. I really find your posts interesting. Lol. When will your research be done? I'm here waiting.
I keep telling myself I'll go through the terminator tv series and the rest of the movies but I haven't yet.

Every machine needs its master. They can become an extension of ourselves, but without us, they are meaningless. Machines cannot care for things.
so, they need a queen, a borg queen?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, maybe your question can be answered as follows:
Human’s attitudes, behaviors, and thinking frameworks are inevitably influenced by tools and technologies, including AI and AGI. (see Peter Paul Verbeek, Mediation Theory)
As a result of large-scale changes in attitudes and expectations, it's inevitable that humans will erroneously compare themselves to “machines”, feeling inferious or even outraged.
Human hubris knows no boundaries - whether it's a war against nature or machines, it will always be there (see Charles Eisenstein, The Ascent of Humanity). In the past, humans deliberately fought bears to show off their strength. More recently, the quantified self community willingly experimented with augmenting technologies, to show how artificialy enhanced selves are better than “natural” and limited ones.

Humans handle change in various ways. Some oppose it, some take it personally, others chase it.

I personally believe that technologists have the power to make machines relatable and appealing, reducing feelings of inferiority. However, I think it's the community leaders and ethicists who will help the masses snap out of this “master”/”slave” narrative and help them relate healthy to AI, while changing ways of living that are decrepit.

·
Premium Member
37,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, maybe your question can be answered as follows:
Human’s attitudes, behaviors, and thinking frameworks are inevitably influenced by tools and technologies, including AI and AGI. (see Peter Paul Verbeek, Mediation Theory)
As a result of large-scale changes in attitudes and expectations, it's inevitable that humans will erroneously compare themselves to “machines”, feeling inferious or even outraged.
Human hubris knows no boundaries - whether it's a war against nature or machines, it will always be there (see Charles Eisenstein, The Ascent of Humanity). In the past, humans deliberately fought bears to show off their strength. More recently, the quantified self community willingly experimented with augmenting technologies, to show how artificialy enhanced selves are better than “natural” and limited ones.

Humans handle change in various ways. Some oppose it, some take it personally, others chase it.

I personally believe that technologists have the power to make machines relatable and appealing, reducing feelings of inferiority. However, I think it's the community leaders and ethicists who will help the masses snap out of this “master”/”slave” narrative and help them relate healthy to AI, while changing ways of living that are decrepit.
Yeah. I had a classmate who is also working; told me that at her job, robots are walking around in their hallways telling her to "get out if the way". And at sertain cruice ships bartenders have allready lost their job in favor of robots. Where I once cobsidered to work a long time ago; employers couldn't keep up with the speed of the machines and allmost everybody were angry and misreable. So I hope that the change from robots to cobots happens soon...

Reactions: Wylie and Rift

·
Registered
74 Posts
Technologically induced job displacement is not new. Calculators (humans performing algorithmic calculations) were displaced by portable “calculators” indeed. Today, it's deeper and accelerated. If you're talking about the low esteem as a result of being displaced, please - focus on people skills, project management, collaboration, emotional intelligence. These are hugely impactful skills in business that will help you as “robots” get introduced into the workplace. Not sure where you're based but here is what the UK is doing to help - FutureFit
Where I once cobsidered to work a long time ago; employers couldn't keep up with the speed of the machines and allmost everybody were angry and misreable. So I hope that the change from robots to cobots happens soon...

·
Premium Member
37,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Technologically induced job displacement is not new. Calculators (humans performing algorithmic calculations) were displaced by portable “calculators” indeed. Today, it's deeper and accelerated. If you're talking about the low esteem as a result of being displaced, please - focus on people skills, project management, collaboration, emotional intelligence. These are hugely impactful skills in business that will help you as “robots” get introduced into the workplace. Not sure where you're based but here is what the UK is doing to help - FutureFit
Hehe, AI are not exactly there yet when it comes to people skills. 🤖 Don't get me wrong. A lot of tecnology helps us. I use an app called photomath a lot. As long as we don't abuse the opportunity to become lazy and cheat it's pretty helpfull. All you have to do is to photograph your question and it will guide you through the challenging algorythms step by step. Another friend of mine told me how a machine lifted elderly people in her work place. She found that heavy lifting a great help. Washing machines are a gift from heaven. But then again people need jobs. Do you think the majority of people will be given artificial jobs in the future to help give them a sense of purpose?

·
Premium Member
37,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ye you got to treat cobots like humans in the future imo because they are so simmilar to us that if you make a habit of mistreating them for simple machines that habit could slip over to humans. But maybe the machines will infact teach humans how to behave in quite high ethic standards, maybe even higher then our current ones.

Reactions: Wylie

·
Registered
INFP
663 Posts
Assuming robots and AI will live forever, they will envy us.

"They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now."

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check out the Human Wellbeing framework from IEEE or the EU framework for ethics in AI. Both were created by high-quality people, collaborating across countries to find a few pretty solid technology ethics principles that could be reinforced.
Other than that, each country has its laws reinforcing verifiably “good” behaviors like - “not damaging properties”, “not inflicting pain”, “protecting personal freedom” etc these are negative ethics as old as our own human language. Normative ethics are not perfect and they change. So feel free to follow virtue ethics instead.
by what standards, ethics?

·
Premium Member
37,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Precisely, that's why I encouraged you to invest in YOUR people skills. These are unlikely to be displaced soon by AGI. Hence, you'll protect your self esteem and work well with humans, while other jobs are displaced.
Now this is a great tip! But what about the people who are less socially skilled.

Reactions: Wylie
1 - 20 of 98 Posts