Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Precisely, that's why I encouraged you to invest in YOUR people skills. These are unlikely to be displaced soon by AGI. Hence, you'll protect your self esteem and work well with humans, while other jobs are displaced.
No this is a great tip! But what about the people who are less socially skilled.
Assuming robots and AI will live forever, they will envy us.

"They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now."
But I want to live forever! 🥺

Reactions: Wylie and Ewok City

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well... 1) they have their own freedom of choice - to improve their skills or - whatever else. You can't control them or be concerned with them but you can focus on you.
And by you being a great human being - eg. Team player, team leader, “people” person - you actually indirectly or directly help others make better choices. For example, help them snap out of the “master/slave” narrative or “merge with AI” fantasies. Help them focus on what they can control - their creativity, their purpose, what makes them uniquely and irreparably human.

But what about the people who are less socially skilled.

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well... 1) they have their own freedom of choice - to improve their skills or - whatever else. You can't control them or be concerned with them but you can focus on you.
And by you being a great human being - eg. Team player, team leader, “people” person - you actually indirectly or directly help others make better choices. For example, help them snap out of the “master/slave” narrative or “merge with AI” fantasies. Help them focus on what they can control - their creativity, their purpose, what makes them uniquely and irreparably human.
Will this work effectively for the thinkers? People persons, team players, people persons? Personally I have a lot of people I feel a great deal of responsibilty for 🙂 How about the mentally challanged? Shouldn't the treatment work for all of humanity if it is to be ethical? There are a great deal of people who are less then creative out here.

Reactions: Wylie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Those people - teach them to be vulnerable about their challenges and find their voice. We are seeing minorities growing in visibility. we see blond people who can see thanks to AI. Those with Apergers’ who are given niche auditing jobs, people with Down’s becoming athletes and actors. Less able people becoming active members of society with tech.
Teach them confidence and people skills. They will find their way to rise. And be mindful just how far you let your responsibilities become your life.
Will this work effectively for the thinkers? People persons, team players, people persons? Personally I have a lot of people I feel a great deal of responsibilty for 🙂 How about the mentally challanged?

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Those people - teach them to be vulnerable about their challenges and find their voice. We are seeing minorities growing in visibility. we see blond people who can see thanks to AI. Those with Apergers’ who are given niche auditing jobs, people with Down’s becoming athletes and actors. Less able people becoming active members of society with tech.
Teach them confidence and people skills. They will find their way to rise. And be mindful just how far you let your responsibilities become your life.
That is a great reply and a fantastic way to look at it!

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Now. Thinking of the way slaughter houses treat animals. There are some people today that bind up animals and feed them through a coil. They are not allowed to move because the owners thinks the quality of the liver improves. Do you think when these things go on today that we are ready for such a responsibility. They are basicly treated like meat objects not as living beeings with needs of their own. There are humans that get trafficed and treated like slaves. With such a level of coldness what if they got their hands on robotics. Smh

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you need to pick your battles. The world will always be filled with sorrow as well as joy. Pick your battles, do you, and make YOUR life count. Let the world be.

Now. Thinking of the way slaughter houses treat animals. There are some people today that bind up animals and feed them through a coil. THey are not allowed to move because the owners thinks the quality of the liver improves. Do you think when these things go on today that we are ready for such a responsibility. THey are basicly treated like meat objects not as living beeings with needs of their own.

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think you need to pick your battles. The world will always be filled with sorrow as well as joy. Pick your battles, do you, and make YOUR life count. Let the world be.
Ye we have to clean our own back yard before we start cleaning others. This thought just doesn't escape me. Because if nobody gives a f... about those animals because of their lesser intelligence.

·
Registered
INFP
649 Posts
By merging with them. This is the only reasonable solution in the long-term, I think. AI will be a means towards the next step of the evolution of humanity.
That's Elon Musk's approach. In such a case, is there any way to avoid losing our humanity in the process? Is it worth preserving our humanity (e.g., humans can be incredibly cruel)? Would we become emotionless drones, or better versions of ourselves? Lots of questions, but I have few answers. Transhumanism is an interesting philosophy, but I imagine the merging of man and machine will turn out very differently from current hopes - or fears. That could end up being our salvation, or we could just end up being obsolete...

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Maybe we would have to get rid of cynism and traits as lack of empathy and cruelty! That is something we might be able to fix. We could do it through genetic manipulation or breeding. I thinking of people such as those slaughters I mentioned. Maybe they should get treated them selves before they treat others like crap.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
Maybe we would have to get rid of cynism and traits as lack of empathy and theory of mind! That is something we might be able to fix. We could do it through genetic manipulation or breeding. I thinking of people such as those slaughters I mentioned. Maybe they should get treated them selves before they treat others like crap.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
Maybe we would have to get rid of cynism and traits as lack of empathy act cruel! That is something we might be able to fix. We could do it through genetic manipulation or breeding. I thinking of people such as those slaughters I mentioned. Maybe they should get treated them selves before they treat others like crap.

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think some of the need to get great jobs and huge salaries simply stem from the emotional need to feel special and get high status. It's more of a need to be seen. This could maybe be helped to some degree through psychology. But. Maybe humans will never settle for equality because that would equal boredom. Those who has intelligent dogs knows that dogs need to get intellectually challanged. The star trek example suggested to work with improving the world as an activity and that people get a universal income. That sounds very much like communism to me. What is the difference?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I originally wrote an essay but wiped it out since it was about as cynical as it gets. My only suggestion is to vote for the type of government that's for the people, rather than, say, the type of government that runs Texas.

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I originally wrote an essay but wiped it out since it was about as cynical as it gets. My only suggestion is to vote for the type of government that's for the people, rather than, say, the type of government that runs Texas.
Who runs Texas?

·
INFP 5w6
5,840 Posts
Perhaps we will have to focus less on feeling productive and being skilled in the things AI is etc. Life becoming less about accomplishment and merit? There will still be areas where we are needed, always I think. But more people would likely feel obsolete. I think this kind of development has already been going on for long, in other ways... like writing and printing, making those highly sought after people who remember whole books to sing and tell people less important, and even just 100 years ago, school was so much more about memorizing and learning by heart. Even when I was a kid, that kind of learning was more important than it is now when everything is a web-search away. All those who were working as calculators, super-good at calculating in their heads, almost superhuman, but now their skill is worth nothing, because we have calculators in our phones that can do the same. And so many others, it is ongoing.

I think the self-esteem issue is also something that has been going on in a way, but with humans, as our "group" has grown and expanded. Once it was just your tribe, perhaps you would run into another tribe or a few in a lifetime. Those where who you had to compare too. Then the village and area around, until not so long ago few people left their home and a days walk from it. Those were the people you had to compare to. Now we live in cities, and use international media, compared to the people you see around you in a day, it is difficult to compare, there will always be someone better, in almost every area. People also show chosen parts of themselves, their best side, while you see all of yourself, good and bad sides.

Perhaps a lot of people will actually like having some unreachable intelligence they are not able to fathom above themselves. A lot of people seem to seek that out, like when one was a very small child and parents were almost like gods. Or how many people want there to be an almighty god. I don't like the idea myself though... but I think I welcome if life would be less about accomplishing and about merits, and more about experiencing and exploring and relating.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Who runs Texas?
Free marketeers. Hopefully Texans have learned their lesson about how there's no free market mechanism to help them when their standalone power grid fails. Rugged individualism will get you dead or stripped of all your savings because of astronomical fuel costs to the tune of five figures in a single month aka jackpot for free marketeers.

·
Premium Member
37,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Perhaps we will have to focus less on feeling productive and being skilled in the things AI is etc. Life becoming less about accomplishment and merit? There will still be areas where we are needed, always I think. But more people would likely feel obsolete. I think this kind of development has already been going on for long, in other ways... like writing and printing, making those highly sought after people who remember whole books to sing and tell people less important, and even just 100 years ago, school was so much more about memorizing and learning by heart. Even when I was a kid, that kind of learning was more important than it is now when everything is a web-search away. All those who were working as calculators, super-good at calculating in their heads, almost superhuman, but now their skill is worth nothing, because we have calculators in our phones that can do the same. And so many others, it is ongoing.

I think the self-esteem issue is also something that has been going on in a way, but with humans, as our "group" has grown and expanded. Once it was just your tribe, perhaps you would run into another tribe or a few in a lifetime. Those where who you had to compare too. Then the village and area around, until not so long ago few people left their home and a days walk from it. Those were the people you had to compare to. Now we live in cities, and use international media, compared to the people you see around you in a day, it is difficult to compare, there will always be someone better, in almost every area. People also show chosen parts of themselves, their best side, while you see all of yourself, good and bad sides.

Perhaps a lot of people will actually like having some unreachable intelligence they are not able to fathom above themselves. A lot of people seem to seek that out, like when one was a very small child and parents were almost like gods. Or how many people want there to be an almighty god. I don't like the idea myself though... but I think I welcome if life would be less about accomplishing and about merits, and more about experiencing and exploring and relating.
We would have to rethink our psychology treatment again then. I can absolutely see your points. I remember a futuristic cartoon from when I was a child called Les Mondes Englotis. I think they had a "super-human" with them called Arcana :)

I was told in school once that the people of Egypt needed religion and this was at least one of the reasons why the great pyramids where build because without any tasks the people would become destructive. Not sure if that is true though.

I wonder if technology will become so devestating at some point that it will be forbidden and maybe humanity would even try to delete all traces of it.
Maybe such a thing has allready happend before. Pure speculation.

·
Registered
Caffeinated ☕
1,664 Posts
so, they need a queen, a borg queen?
The borg queen was pretty hot, not gonna lie.

Other than a robot queen archetype, there is also the robot mother archetype. :sneaky:

That's Elon Musk's approach. In such a case, is there any way to avoid losing our humanity in the process? Is it worth preserving our humanity (e.g., humans can be incredibly cruel)? Would we become emotionless drones, or better versions of ourselves? Lots of questions, but I have few answers. Transhumanism is an interesting philosophy, but I imagine the merging of man and machine will turn out very differently from current hopes - or fears. That could end up being our salvation, or we could just end up being obsolete...
You see more of this going in the direction of "organic" machines, so my guess is that we'd loop back around and realize biology is more efficient, after all (well, duh).

I had a dream, once, that humans hybridized with a type of plant in order to breathe the atmosphere on another planet. It looked pretty badass, where the plant was essentially intertwined with our respiratory systems and grew out of the lungs, with stalks that penetrated the abdominal walls (creepy enough, it is possible for plants to germinate inside lungs). However, the plant operated more like a parasite, and would eventually grow into the entire body without this drug that kept the immune system boosted - except the plants were eventually able to influence behavior enough that people stopped taking the drugs, and that is when it turned decidedly nightmare...

Anyways, my thoughts on the subject mirror Thoreau:

The very simplicity and nakedness of man’s life in the primitive ages imply this advantage at least, that they left him still but a sojourner in nature. When he was refreshed with food and sleep he contemplated his journey again. He dwelt, as it were, in a tent in this world, and was either threading the valleys, or crossing the plains, or climbing the mountain tops. But lo! men have become the tools of their tools. The man who independently plucked the fruits when he was hungry is become a farmer; and he who stood under a tree for shelter, a housekeeper. We now no longer camp as for a night, but have settled down on earth and forgotten heaven. We have adopted Christianity merely as an improved method of agri-culture. We have built for this world a family mansion, and for the next a family tomb. The best works of art are the expression of man’s struggle to free himself from this condition, but the effect of our art is merely to make this low state comfortable and that higher state to be forgotten. There is actually no place in this village for a work of fine art, if any had come down to us, to stand, for our lives, our houses and streets, furnish no proper pedestal for it. There is not a nail to hang a picture on, nor a shelf to receive the bust of a hero or a saint. When I consider how our houses are built and paid for, or not paid for, and their internal economy managed and sustained, I wonder that the floor does not give way under the visitor while he is admiring the gewgaws upon the mantel-piece, and let him through into the cellar, to some solid and honest though earthy foundation. I cannot but perceive that this so called rich and refined life is a thing jumped at, and I do not get on in the enjoyment of the fine arts which adorn it, my attention being wholly occupied with the jump; for I remember that the greatest genuine leap, due to human muscles alone, on record, is that of certain wandering Arabs, who are said to have cleared twenty-five feet on level ground. Without factitious support, man is sure to come to earth again beyond that distance. The first question which I am tempted to put to the proprietor of such great impropriety is, Who bolsters you? Are you one of the ninety-seven who fail, or of the three who succeed? Answer me these questions, and then perhaps I may look at your bawbles and find them ornamental. The cart before the horse is neither beautiful nor useful. Before we can adorn our houses with beautiful objects the walls must be stripped, and our lives must be stripped, and beautiful housekeeping and beautiful living be laid for a foundation: now, a taste for the beautiful is most cultivated out of doors, where there is no house and no housekeeper.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts