Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If sentient AI is possible within the constraints of the natural laws in the type of Universe we reside, would you say that it's possible, if sentient life did develop on other planets, that some of those planets might have nothing but AI because the species that created them died out or left the planet leaving the AI to "tend" to things in their absence? This is highly speculative, so remember, I am posting this for fun and because I enjoy learning from other people and their perspectives on such things.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If sentient AI is possible within the constraints of the natural laws in the type of Universe we reside, would you say that it's possible, if sentient life did develop on other planets, that some of those planets might have nothing but AI because the species that created them died out or left the planet leaving the AI to "tend" to things in their absence? This is highly speculative, so remember, I am posting this for fun and because I enjoy learning from other people and their perspectives on such things.
That is, by definition, a possible scenario. I don't know, where is the doubt?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@akiyama I can't see doubt, only a possibility. It would be rather interesting to find out. Manned missions to other planets, or unmanned, do you think that either will give us enough answers while we're still alive, or is that to be a treat for 5 generations or so down the line?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
akiyama I can't see doubt, only a possibility. It would be rather interesting to find out. Manned missions to other planets, or unmanned, do you think that either will give us enough answers while we're still alive, or is that to be a treat for 5 generations or so down the line?
That depends on how long we live, which depends on the progress our civilization does. Suppose the average lifespan we can count on right now (considering all the future progress) is of roughly 100 years, then what are the chances that by 2115 we find something? I don't know, but there is something telling me that if progress actually continues exponentially, then we could possibly live for even more than 100 years and thus the probability of discovering something increases.

Obviously what i'm counting on is that someone invents immortality technology before i die!

What's to say the AI didn't cook up a primordial ooze, fire it in the direction of earth, and therefore artificially create life here?

Humans might be AI too..!
lol basically any sufficiently advanced AI is undistinguishable from 'real' sentient beings.

·
Banned
240 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You may also want to watch the following videos.

The first one is more general, about possible civilization types and our position among those possibilities. Pretty imaginative and controversial.

The second one, while still a bit controversial, is more realistic and more about us and the progress which i was talking about earlier.

EDIT:
Actually you may prefer this one instead of the second one. The second one is a bit bullshit.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@akiyama I never want to be immortal. Life feels...more valuable when it has a limit. I do wish I could live up to 300 or 400, just in case the technology to enact a master plan of mine isn't developed yet. I have contingency plans, but, I'd prefer things go a certain route.

I'll watch the videos, this stuff always interests me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@HAL LOL I wouldn't be surprised. I once read about this(most likely a joke) theory that life on Earth is the result of contamination from some alien visitor exploring the galaxy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@akiyama Watching it now, have two books written by Kaku, on a personal level the guy annoys me a bit he seems like a bit of a media whore. I really hope I'm not the only one who notices this about him.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's possible, assuming extraterrestrial life/aliens actually exist in the universe.
It can be. There are trillions of galaxies present in this universe.. We all know in our solar system only earth can support life. There may be millions of earth like planets exists in other solar system or galaxies, which is capable of support life..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It can be. There are trillions of galaxies present in this universe.. We all know in our solar system only earth can support life. There may be millions of earth like planets exists in other solar system or galaxies, which is capable of support life..
Problem for those places is that life has to get there.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@akiyama Definitely. Only things he says that concern me, are his ideas about resurrecting extinct animals, and putting them in Zoos for entertainment. I mean, I know Zoo work is part of preservation and some do good work in that respect, but, I hate the idea of bringing a species back when it's already gone so it can be locked away and gawked at. I have an idea that is kind of far out there. What if, a planet was terraformed, and used as a "Conservation Planet" free from human influence? Like, instead of putting the animals in Zoos, they could be set up in newly created habitats designed for them to survive in, and that is when humans would take a back seat. I probably won't be alive when that is possible, to just find Earth like planets to use for such projects, or to terraform the planets to make them habitable, but that is a step up from some of the other ideas I have in mind. I have simply decided that human life and other life don't coexist together in a healthy manner. My idea isn't to remove the animals we have here, it's to "seed" planets with their DNA, so their species as a whole can thrive. Mostly the endangered or threatened species. Seeding will be a very true possibility once the concept of a literal artificial womb is made a reality. Needing one of any animal to give birth to one, is an obstacle that has to be overcome. Then, the possibilities are endless.

·
Banned
240 Posts
@Ashvin I'd think it might be micro-organisms of some sort, in terms of sheer number, that are the dominant form of life throughout this Universe.
That might probably be true, as they could be currently existing in the hypothetical oceans underneath the icy surfaces of Jupiter's moon Europa and Saturn's moon Enceladus, and may have existed on Mars some 4 billion years ago when it is thought to have had oceans of liquid water on its surface. And for most of the history of life on Earth, life existed as single-celled micro-organisms.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Only things he says that concern me, are his ideas about resurrecting extinct animals, and putting them in Zoos for entertainment.
lol yeah, that's pretty stupid.

What if, a planet was terraformed, and used as a "Conservation Planet" free from human influence? Like, instead of putting the animals in Zoos, they could be set up in newly created habitats designed for them to survive in, and that is when humans would take a back seat. I probably won't be alive when that is possible, to just find Earth like planets to use for such projects, or to terraform the planets to make them habitable, but that is a step up from some of the other ideas I have in mind. I have simply decided that human life and other life don't coexist together in a healthy manner. My idea isn't to remove the animals we have here, it's to "seed" planets with their DNA, so their species as a whole can thrive. Mostly the endangered or threatened species. Seeding will be a very true possibility once the concept of a literal artificial womb is made a reality. Needing one of any animal to give birth to one, is an obstacle that has to be overcome. Then, the possibilities are endless.
You know, if something like that was possible, probably humans would just use their power to populate those planets themselves :laughing:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@akiyama I think it should be our duty as the sentient life of this planet to do our utmost to protect life, so, I hope that changes about humans. The species can barely handle this planet yet, and already plan on ditching it after fucking it up, I have my criticisms for that type of escapist thinking.

The idea of bringing back extinct animals gone thousands of years is laughable. I think it would be more cruel than kind. But, the endangered animals alive today should be protected before it's too late.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts