Personality Cafe banner
4K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  Amine 
#1 ·
If sentient AI is possible within the constraints of the natural laws in the type of Universe we reside, would you say that it's possible, if sentient life did develop on other planets, that some of those planets might have nothing but AI because the species that created them died out or left the planet leaving the AI to "tend" to things in their absence? This is highly speculative, so remember, I am posting this for fun and because I enjoy learning from other people and their perspectives on such things.

#5 ·
akiyama I can't see doubt, only a possibility. It would be rather interesting to find out. Manned missions to other planets, or unmanned, do you think that either will give us enough answers while we're still alive, or is that to be a treat for 5 generations or so down the line?
That depends on how long we live, which depends on the progress our civilization does. Suppose the average lifespan we can count on right now (considering all the future progress) is of roughly 100 years, then what are the chances that by 2115 we find something? I don't know, but there is something telling me that if progress actually continues exponentially, then we could possibly live for even more than 100 years and thus the probability of discovering something increases.

Obviously what i'm counting on is that someone invents immortality technology before i die!

What's to say the AI didn't cook up a primordial ooze, fire it in the direction of earth, and therefore artificially create life here?

Humans might be AI too..!
lol basically any sufficiently advanced AI is undistinguishable from 'real' sentient beings.

#6 ·
#7 ·
You may also want to watch the following videos.

The first one is more general, about possible civilization types and our position among those possibilities. Pretty imaginative and controversial.

The second one, while still a bit controversial, is more realistic and more about us and the progress which i was talking about earlier.

EDIT:
Actually you may prefer this one instead of the second one. The second one is a bit bullshit.

#18 ·
@Ashvin I'd think it might be micro-organisms of some sort, in terms of sheer number, that are the dominant form of life throughout this Universe.
That might probably be true, as they could be currently existing in the hypothetical oceans underneath the icy surfaces of Jupiter's moon Europa and Saturn's moon Enceladus, and may have existed on Mars some 4 billion years ago when it is thought to have had oceans of liquid water on its surface. And for most of the history of life on Earth, life existed as single-celled micro-organisms.

#16 ·
@akiyama Definitely. Only things he says that concern me, are his ideas about resurrecting extinct animals, and putting them in Zoos for entertainment. I mean, I know Zoo work is part of preservation and some do good work in that respect, but, I hate the idea of bringing a species back when it's already gone so it can be locked away and gawked at. I have an idea that is kind of far out there. What if, a planet was terraformed, and used as a "Conservation Planet" free from human influence? Like, instead of putting the animals in Zoos, they could be set up in newly created habitats designed for them to survive in, and that is when humans would take a back seat. I probably won't be alive when that is possible, to just find Earth like planets to use for such projects, or to terraform the planets to make them habitable, but that is a step up from some of the other ideas I have in mind. I have simply decided that human life and other life don't coexist together in a healthy manner. My idea isn't to remove the animals we have here, it's to "seed" planets with their DNA, so their species as a whole can thrive. Mostly the endangered or threatened species. Seeding will be a very true possibility once the concept of a literal artificial womb is made a reality. Needing one of any animal to give birth to one, is an obstacle that has to be overcome. Then, the possibilities are endless.

#19 ·
Only things he says that concern me, are his ideas about resurrecting extinct animals, and putting them in Zoos for entertainment.
lol yeah, that's pretty stupid.

What if, a planet was terraformed, and used as a "Conservation Planet" free from human influence? Like, instead of putting the animals in Zoos, they could be set up in newly created habitats designed for them to survive in, and that is when humans would take a back seat. I probably won't be alive when that is possible, to just find Earth like planets to use for such projects, or to terraform the planets to make them habitable, but that is a step up from some of the other ideas I have in mind. I have simply decided that human life and other life don't coexist together in a healthy manner. My idea isn't to remove the animals we have here, it's to "seed" planets with their DNA, so their species as a whole can thrive. Mostly the endangered or threatened species. Seeding will be a very true possibility once the concept of a literal artificial womb is made a reality. Needing one of any animal to give birth to one, is an obstacle that has to be overcome. Then, the possibilities are endless.
You know, if something like that was possible, probably humans would just use their power to populate those planets themselves :laughing:

#20 ·
@akiyama I think it should be our duty as the sentient life of this planet to do our utmost to protect life, so, I hope that changes about humans. The species can barely handle this planet yet, and already plan on ditching it after fucking it up, I have my criticisms for that type of escapist thinking.

The idea of bringing back extinct animals gone thousands of years is laughable. I think it would be more cruel than kind. But, the endangered animals alive today should be protected before it's too late.

#34 ·
So an archaitect is like a god-like A.I.?

Reactions: sarek
#30 ·
@akiyama I reasoned that there are only two things that could possibly matter: destruction and preservation. I thought about it constantly, and considered many things. It evolved from my trying to reason on what matters to me in life. I couldn't think of anything that struck a chord emotionally, so, I decided to look at it in terms of the big picture. Destruction, death, and waste are all things worth fighting for, all things worth causing, logically. Entropy will destroy us all anyway, right? So, in light of that, nothing else really matters. Now, from another point of view, I decided that doing the utmost to in fact keep entropy at bay, is also noble, because even if all efforts fail and there is no other Universe to escape to when things might in fact go bust here in billions of years, how amazing would it be to keep harmony amongst species until the very end for all of us? Until the final curtain. So, I decided that only one extreme or the other matters: protecting what exists, or destroying what exists as an agent of entropy. At my worst, I'm quite nihilistic, so, I decided I needed to pick something of value, and give my life meaning, even though another side of me tells me that nothing has meaning, and the only purity is being an endless void of energy and nothing more... It might seem cold, but, my decision is a purely logical one, to protect life from rogue agents.

Humans are as natural as anything, and the universe unfolds as it does, we're all atoms interacting. At the same time, humans seem to be, ecologically speaking, an epidemic causing disaster to the biosphere, and therefore many other species on this planet, including ourselves. I decided that the solution to this is harvesting DNA, advancing Biotechnology to the point that incubators can in fact act as wombs to nurture an embryo, and should the worst happen, producing new organisms of a particular species. There are animals that die just because humans find them delicious. The Dodo is an example. Imagine we didn't over farm the Dodo. They'd still be live to this day. Their deaths were not necessary for anything. It did not need to happen. I am by no means a misanthrope. I hate most people, or have said that, but the hate is aimed more at the modern "let me take a selfie" computer obsessed culture that is so characteristic of 21s century modern society. I mean, I know that can change. A lot of what's happening will be rebelled against by future generations who see how stupid people today are on an emotional/cultural level, but, that is the situation today. Not sure you're a Star Trek fan, but we are very nearly becoming like The Borg, when we could instead be something more like Starfleet(I know that sounds childish, but I just mean people can be unique and adventurous and hardy, and equal without sacrificing distinctness of self.) We look back at the late 19th and early 20th century, as the world became industrialized, and wonder how they could have been as stupid as they were, is this not true? Today, we are in the middle of a Cybernetic Revolution. People are learning the ropes. There will be trial and error. It might even cause a new divide among the species. And some solutions will be offered, and the damage done, the species will want repaired, even though in some cases it might be too late. Still, this is an era, and everything is going to change.

The progress has been rapid. I remember the 90's, I was born in 1991. I see how technology and culture has changed in such a short time, and it's still going to rocket towards something new. Hell, with plans to establish colonies on Mars, you just know there are going to be literal interplanetary separatist movements. On a small scale, of course. In this solar system, and on two planets and maybe a few planetary satellites(moons) and asteroids, but still, this is how things are developing. We are in it, we are seeing everything change. As this happens, I feel a need to do something, and I chose preservation of an apparently rare phenomenon: life.

#35 · (Edited)

@RobynC Could you clarify what you mean? I think he didn't answer because he didn't understand the question. Did you mean an AI if powerful enough, would be capable of a universe spanning "CAD" or something? Honestly, though I think that IF AI could be developed to the point of autonomy and some type of consciousness, or more, some type of self awareness, I don't think it would or should dominate the universe. People also fail to realize that though intelligence helped humans rise to slaughter and overbreed, in reality, intelligence isn't always the peak of evolution. It has been for us, but, I'd say extremophile micro-organisms have a better chance at surviving than humans. Evolution isn't a ladder...it isn't advancing as such. Evolution is merely adaptation.

In the great scheme of things, I believe that nature can be replicated by a sentient species. To what extent, is still a mystery. I myself will not plug myself into any computer system, unless I become an expert in such matters. I would only use something that's connected to my body via interface, if I know and understand everything about that thing. I see the benefit of remotely controlling a robotic body with my own body movements, and I see applications for that if people want to explore Mars more intimately upon establishing colonies there, but the whole brain-machine interface thing has only made me think "NOPE." As for AI, I don't think it would ever be like human intelligence. I am not saying it could not be self aware or autonomous, I just think that something like human consciousness and sentience, given it's developed from millions of years of trial and error, would be one example of something that even humans cannot engineer. Despite that, I do believe humans are capable of getting close. I don't know if an AI could ever be considered a direct copy of human intelligence, and I think aiming for that is thinking inside the box.

I am not too interested in creating self aware AI, I only care about what computers can do for me as tools. I only care about the practical application. You know that you need to indulge the daydreamers/sci-fi addicts so that they'll have something to aim for. I say, if they want to create some new creature, let them make attempts. There will be a few good inventions along the way that can be applied to Medicine, Biotechnology, and Aerospace Engineering.

#36 ·
@Obligatoryusername91

Could you clarify what you mean? I think he didn't answer because he didn't understand the question. Did you mean an AI if powerful enough, would be capable of a universe spanning "CAD" or something?
Not sure what a CAD is...

#38 ·
Well, I can't say that would be possible, but an archaitect by definition would be like an AI god

Reactions: sarek
#39 ·
Anything's possible but wouldn't you prefer to wait until we find actual life on another planet, never mind winging off to the age old fear that technology will surpass its creators?

My guess is that this fear sources from the primitive male (father/maker) fear that their sons will exceed them.

#42 · (Edited)
I myself have no fear of such things. I just don't respect people who actively want it to happen, like those singularity freaks. Let's face it, the robotic fetish they have is like a modern day religion, only now they want to kneel before something they can feel. Something perverse about it all.

I think micro-organisms were found on Mars. I'm not too sure, I'll need to check that out. I don't think they were alive when found... When and where did I even hear this? =S

#40 ·
I remember there was an episode on Star Trek Voyager. It dealt with the exact same thing you mentioned. Two warring races created sentient robots to fight their wars. Result: The robots killed their creators. You should watch that episode. Actually watch the entirety of Voyager. Good stuff...
The Robot series by Asimov is good food for thought on these matters.

Recommendations aside, AI surviving on its own depends on how successful the creators have been in mimicking intelligence.
I could go on and on and potentially bore you but I seriously suggest you open a book on AI and ML.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.