Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready for another creative topic! As ENFP's we tend to be very hands on and work well in groups... we learn best by DOING!

My question is: If ENFP's had a say in how teachers structured classrooms... or just the whole learning experience in general how would you set it up? Middle, high, college...

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS FOR ALL PERSONALITY TYPES. How would we set it up for everyones benefit?

I'll contribute my 1st thought... we learn so well in elementary because everything is in multiple learning methods/channels...

A is for Alligator(Image and idea) Draw an alligator.. Kinetic... It's auditory, visual, kinetic...

Why can't this be extended into higher learning?! Too childish? Pish posh! I want to understand the whole idea not just the stupid definition. Give me a story and meaning! but at that point some personality's would have a hissy fit.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would just change the administration, and make it a bit tougher to become a teacher. The old adage "Those who can, do, and those who can't, teach" needs to be chucked out the window. It is so much harder to teach something than it is to do it. I can do English grammar all day, but ask me the specific mechanics I'm using and why, and it's a completely different story.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
"Accepted" the movie had a good idea.

Reactions: geGamedev

·
Banned
605 Posts
"Accepted" the movie had a good idea.
If I went to the school in that movie life would be so much better. Being interested in what you're learning will make it happen much faster and you'll be a lot happier for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
give kids 40 minutes in each subject on a computer program to get lessons done at their own speed. reward them by letting them listen to awesome music while they work. accellerated kids are placed in another class, so that slower kids wont feel inferior, and faster kids can be challenged. that's how i'd do it.

i was placed a math program like this because i was falling waaaaayyy behind in a normal classroom in 6th grade (i am now diagnosed ADHD) and i blew through the program so quickly that i went from pre-algebra in 6th to algebra 2 in 7th. but then i moved, so i've been taking the same math class for about 4 years now. :( extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Exactly! start at like 10 or 11, finish later... that suits most of us are who night owls anyway, and then we get to sleep in ... and go to school on our portable zooming beds, hehe.

I would change the usual school assembly's and instead of singing nation country songs, we vote for the musician the principal will have to impersonate on stage (Principal would have to be ENFP haha) and the school sings along to the song. One week he's Freddie Mercury with a crown, cloak, and yellow jacket, the entire hall echoing with "Radio Gaga."

I would allow things of fun and comfort in class, because the more homely the feel, the more students can concentrate and feel relaxed in their natural environments...and their work performance will be better :D so I would get rid of wood desks and hard chairs...ew...and replace it with comfy armchairs, laptops instead of writing notes in books...and each student can listen to their own music with their headphones, and the teacher can have like one little rule that when he or she wishes the class to listen, she makes a disco light flash red and all the students see it going red for stop listening to music. I would let students eat lollies and drink the occassional soda in class.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Exactly! start at like 10 or 11, finish later... that suits most of us are who night owls anyway, and then we get to sleep in ... and go to school on our portable zooming beds, hehe.

I would change the usual school assembly's and instead of singing nation country songs, we vote for the musician the principal will have to impersonate on stage (Principal would have to be ENFP haha) and the school sings along to the song. One week he's Freddie Mercury with a crown, cloak, and yellow jacket, the entire hall echoing with "Radio Gaga."

I would allow things of fun and comfort in class, because the more homely the feel, the more students can concentrate and feel relaxed in their natural environments...and their work performance will be better :D so I would get rid of wood desks and hard chairs...ew...and replace it with comfy armchairs, laptops instead of writing notes in books...and each student can listen to their own music with their headphones, and the teacher can have like one little rule that when he or she wishes the class to listen, she makes a disco light flash red and all the students see it going red for stop listening to music. I would let students eat lollies and drink the occassional soda in class.
My idea of a good school.

A student needs to learn what he or she likes to learn while in an environment that he or she is comfortable in. It also needs to have breaks every once in a while for the kids to relax, talk , play, sing, dance, act like idiots, share ideas, work on something that interest them, like making a movie, composing a song, choreographing a dance, writing a novel, help people who are sad.. :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would have a mixed approach combining classical education in the academy, with Montessori and German approach. Since this would be public policy not my own definition of what I personally would want, it has to encompass everything.

First, I would have basic grade school be mainly the same, with perhaps a bit more time for creativity and arts education.

Starting in middle school I think we would see some differentiation between levels of ability. Probably a three tiered approach where the bottom 20% focused on basic arithmetic and reading skills. Second tier would be 60% (20-80% ) of the population which would be moderately hard so that it would prepare you to enter the work force at the end of it. There would be an emphasis on hands on learning, and trades. So that, upon graduation you could find a job as a skilled laborer, or technician. The third tier would be for the top 20% of students which would have high standards yet provide the student with a challenging environment, suitable for learning.

The system requires accurate grading as "pushing some one through" the system breaks it. This would give people coming out of high school enough preparation to go to work with out having to spend years at a community college or tech school. Which is currently a big problem with education IMHO. There are too many people graduating High School who have very poor reading abilities, it undermines the value of a high school education, which undermines the value of a college education. Which makes a college education "needed" for simple jobs, and start people off with enormous amounts of student debt. The outstanding balance on student loans in the U.S. is $836 BILLION. What a debt bomb!

I would also like to see more hand on activities in general, as well as, differentiation in subjects. Especially in high School, it would be nice to have the ability to pursue something on high level, such as art, music, maths...

I would like there to be a quantifiable test to measure Divergent IQ, the current understanding of intelligence is based on Convergent IQ. Where you take information and grind it town to a singularity, ie.) an answer.

Real world applications of this ability are also highly dependent on Divergent Intelligence, the ability to take a singularity and come up with as many possibilities for it. This idea is borrowed from Malcolm Gladewell's book, Outliers . The example he sites as a quick test, is to name as many possible uses for a brick. This ability is extremely useful and under recognized as a factor in intelligence, not to mention that ENFP's do it really well! I have also met very smart people who are really bad at this. A lot of people would call it creativity! :wink:

As you can see this is a bit of a passionate subject for me. Well, I just graduated. (BFA) So I have time to reflect on my education and what in means in the world out side of school, in a crap economy.

I love that TED talk !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts