Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I was just curious.
Personally I hate texting unless it's something important.
Great for getting short messages across. Terrible for conversations! (And I have a slideout keyboard.) I don't like talking on the phone much either.

I like instant messaging on the computer, so it's more the phone than anything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I prefer texting a lot more than calling people simply because it's cheaper, quicker, direct and therefore more efficient. Also, you don't have to waste time with pleasantries and formalities. The only thing I have a problem with is the "texting language" where people have some sort of problem typing out full words and have to resort to shortening everything. Even two lettered words like 'OK' have to be shortened to 'k' simply because "it takes too long to type out the whole thing" :dry:. Fortunately, the people I text have enough decency to properly type their words (when texting me, at least).

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great for getting short messages across. Terrible for conversations! (And I have a slideout keyboard.) I don't like talking on the phone much either.

I like instant messaging on the computer, so it's more the phone than anything.
That's how I feel, it's great when you want to tell somebody something quickly. Plus so many people hate talking on the phone, I know I do when it's someone I barely know.
I use the facebook instant messenger a lot and that's probably my favorite way to talk to someone.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Texting has saved me the trouble of plesentrys with people I don't want to be plesent to. Direct, efficient, quick.

Unless of course you don't want to be quick, you can leave it and answer once you have thought about it, difficult to do that on a call.

Win win. IMO

Ths thrd is gr8

;)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Pffft, I'm an ENFP and I prefer texting to talking on the phone hands down! I used to love talking on the phone, but not anymore. I'd rather text an entire conversation over talking on the phone. It's either text, or talk in person for me :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
As mentioned before, ch4tsp33k is a bane. I take pride in writing out every message and including proper grammar. I prefer calling only because tone and inflection can make a big different in the real meaning of a word or sentence. Also, I'm tired of people taking my sarcastic comments literally.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I prefer not to use electronic communication, texting being the worst of them.

Trivia: the average teenager sends 60 messages a day. Disgusting.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
lets just say i tell ever one to text me over calling.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Normally I abandon my phone altogether, but when I do communicate its through texting. Like other people, I find it more efficient. Plus, when it gets boring I can easily abandon my phone again unlike those awkward, intimate phone calls I have to make.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Texting is way better than talking on the phone. You don't have to engage in chit-chat. Just answer my question and get on with your life.
Personally, I think cellphone is the worst invention of the century. But since I'm stuck with it, text is much better than talking.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I tell my friends my rules for the phone:
If all it requires is you asking me a question, me answering, you confirming; then text me.
If we are going to be going back and forth a lot, call me.

If the texting goes beyond three replies in both directions I will call the person. I dont have a keyboard on my phone so it's a real pain in the ass to text that much.

But I do prefer texting over verbal chatting. I hate being on the phone

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm pretty much the same . I rarely use my phone and when i do It's just to check the time or send a quick text to someone . I'm 15 and sick of phones . Whenever I'm in class there's always this one girl that texts all the time . Well that's partly true , they all text all the time , but she goes above and beyond the call of duty. She gets about 4-5 text every 10 minutes and she constantly feels the need to read them out aloud so everyone can here .

Dear god , sometimes i wish i was Amish.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I like texting b/c it is less intrusive than a phone call. I also have a few friends who are deaf, so texting is awesome between them. I would prefer they use gtalk though or another IM client.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
email and PM. I want a lengthy discourse, not a short jab.
So you want a lengthy discussion about, are you here yet while you are meeting somebody at a loud restaurant? There are many good situations where a text is more preferable. I would figure INTJ's would like texts as they are quite efficient. It is only when an SMS message is used for something that WOULD be better in an email that it annoys me. I.E. another couple of my friends will fly off about 5-6 long texts in a row, to write several paragraphs of information... EMAIL ME. If there is something that needs to be seriously discussed, I have gmail on my phone also...just email me pleeaseee.

In addition...
I use my 'handheld device' more for gmail, gtalk, internet, music, pictures and gps capabilities than I do calling OR texting people.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts