Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know us INFP's always feel like we are different from others.. So I want to ask..

As an INFP, which common human condition do you find yourself unable to relate to?

I don't know how to relate to the condition of wanting to prove oneself ''reasonably right'' all the time. My emotional capacity has made me see that it's the way one wins and loses in certain situations that matters. It's the grace, lessons, wisdom you get from your mistakes that make who you are. I believe in personal moderation, not being overzealous in being elitist.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I don't understand (empathetically) the basic need for social interaction, or the fear of death, or the desire to be lead, or conformity/participation in any ideology without first investigating it and seeing if one actually agrees to its precepts.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand (empathetically) the basic need for social interaction, or the fear of death, or the desire to be lead, or conformity/participation in any ideology without first investigating it and seeing if one actually agrees to its precepts.
The basic need for social interaction?How?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I meant, elaborate what you mean because I am curious lol
Oh, it's supposed to be part of the human condition to need to interact socially. It's a survival instinct and all that, a basic human need. But, I don't really need it. So, I guess I'm not human.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, it's supposed to be part of the human condition to need to interact socially. It's a survival instinct and all that, a basic human need. But, I don't really need it. So, I guess I'm not human.
Interesting, but you interact a lot?

Sorry I am just so curious because you like to write very, very interesting answers that feed my exploring mind :crazy:

(P/S Eden, I am talking about my curiosity towards human nature, not my curiosity towards *that* just in case you read into things again :p)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Fear of change - it doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, I get comfortable with routines, but it doesn't take long for me to get restless to make snap decisions to CHANGE something, anything in my life because I cannot stand the same thing anymore. I get more hair cuts that way. I've also started to get more piercings due to that need to change something. Other times I'll just jump in my car and drive to somewhere I haven't been before. If I'm in a not so great headspace then I'll find a new book to escape in or just wander through my neighborhood or whatnot in search of a place to find the stars and drift away from the here and now.

I also agree with Eden, especially regarding fear of death. Either it's some great adventure, or there is nothing. If it's nothing, I won't know so because I won't have a consciousness to know and so why should it bother me? If it's the former then that gives me the chance to search for new meanings, new knowledge, new insights, and to do so with the souls who have traveled with me so many times before. Sometimes we're scattered far and wide, but still, we find each other.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm a natural thrillseeker so sometimes I don't understand the aftershock jitters people may have.

When I was dating, we were going for a drive (she was driving) and we got rear ended harddddddddd, so much that the seats actually broke from the force. Half the car was totaled and this girl was in a total state of shock (she wasn't hurt physically at all).

I, on the other hand, was in top notch shape. I made sure everyone was okay and zipped out of the car to check on everyone else. I was elated and totally awake (for once) while the girly was seriously upset (alright, understandable).

I told her later that this was probably one of the best things that could happen to her, but she doesn't realize it, yet. Unfortunately, I did this in front of of her parents at dinner and I got a bit of the "eye."

Guess what happens though!?
She gets a brand new car that's worth triple her current car.
She gets $10,000 on top of that.
and the situation motivated her to take other ventures she wasn't used to while she car shopped (ie: bus - and interact with people) plus pushed her to do other things with her life in -all- respects.

Anyways, regardless of whether I was right, I still get scorned about how I looked at the bright side of the situation and was a little insensitive to her jitters. I still cuddled and comforted her, but I'm tainted from the words.

Figures.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I guess I can't relate to S and J traits very much. I can understand why you would want structure in your life (J) and I need a structure too, to some extent. But there are people who *panic* and sweat if there's no structure. It's like they're so scared of trying anything they'd rather let other people try. These are the people who constantly nag you with questions like "what are we gonna do about this? what are we gonna do about that? what's gonna happen with this?" etc.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
There is quite a lot i can not relate to. I feel that this strange cold heartless planet is becoming more and more alien to me. Its funny how so many people do not believe in hell while they are in fact living in it.

But the one thing I understand least of all is how people can look around themselves and see the same world that i do but they just don't SEE.
I know this world is wrong. Its not supposed to be like this. There has to be change.

But everyone just blithely goes on as if nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is quite a lot i can not relate to. I feel that this strange cold heartless planet is becoming more and more alien to me. Its funny how so many people do not believe in hell while they are in fact living in it.

But the one thing I understand least of all is how people can look around themselves and see the same world that i do but they just don't SEE.
I know this world is wrong. Its not supposed to be like this. There has to be change.

But everyone just blithely goes on as if nothing is wrong.

I can't seem to understand how people can appear so out of touch with their souls, so cold and unfeeling, and yet so proud of 'modern civilization' whatever the hell that is.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I have a hard time relating to fear of change or even the feeling that no change is needed. I tend to always see room for improvement - it doesn't mean I am never content, but I don't ever want to become complacent. I also love NEW things, new places, new ideas, new, new, new. The same old, same old, gets boring after awhile. I do see some comfort & purpose in stability, but I don't see change or novelty as necessarily threatening it.

I also have a hard time relating to a need for consensus in feeling. It is nice to agree with people, but for me, it's mostly just an emotional comfort. I don't need consensus to validate a belief. I can be comfortable being the voice of dissent because of this...

The spirit of competition is another feeling I do not relate to much. I tend to be a "personal best" kind of person. Competition doesn't motivate me - it can actually discourage me. It also creates these external measures of what is good/bad, and those can seem arbitrary to me. Why the need to compare to set value?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Interesting, but you interact a lot?

Sorry I am just so curious because you like to write very, very interesting answers that feed my exploring mind :crazy:

(P/S Eden, I am talking about my curiosity towards human nature, not my curiosity towards *that* just in case you read into things again :p)
I do interact a lot these days. I do it because I see it as a necessary evil to achieve my everyday and overall goals.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Darkness. I've often been told I "don't have a dark side". Since everyone else has one, I don't think that's true. I'm probably just repressing some part of myself, or something...

Either way, I don't understand it. :confused:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
money

that's not the only thing but that's the one that's affected me the most. being forced to desire money.

it also gets the most weird looks. some people can't comprehend the idea that money is something you can choose to not desire. as if it were hardwired into the genetic code of humans to desire something we created and gave false value.

·
Registered
129 Posts
money

that's not the only thing but that's the one that's affected me the most. being forced to desire money.

it also gets the most weird looks. some people can't comprehend the idea that money is something you can choose to not desire. as if it were hardwired into the genetic code of humans to desire something we created and gave false value.
Yes, I agree with this. Why the need to desire so much all the time? It's one thing if you need to provide for a family, but even then, why the need to get TOP NOTCH everything? Also, there seems to be this belief that you need to work full-tilt all the time, no matter what job you have. I don't quite agree with that either. I strive for self improvement, new ideas, new ways of thinking and living, but I don't strive to be the best at a job that I really don't like all that much...until, I get to that job that suits me. So, I'm not a very good human.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Religious fanaticism. I understand the longing for meaning in the universe which could inspire religion, but when people kill each other over it (or in the name of it)-- that I cannot fathom.

Also, the love of expensive things. Cars, houses, clothing, things that serve no other purpose than to look cool and show off to others how much money you have.

Smoking cigarettes. From what I understand, it serves no purpose other than showing off how cool and edgy you are and making other people money.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
consumerism .... I just had a phone conversation recently about ... stuff ... 80% of the conversation revolved around stuff ... needing to buy stuff, then having been bought the stuff needed to be placed and sorted somewhere ... this created a problem ... because old stuff already occupied all of the designated 'stuff containers' ... so this is why more stuff was needed to get bought .... to place this new stuff into it .... I was just listening to it and thinking "why do people spend so much time on stuff" ... it seems to me like their whole life comes to revolve around it - and remembering to this video

1 - 20 of 32 Posts