Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was creating my profile, I noticed that yet again a website has given me the preference option of "male", "female", or "both". Though I can't blame them, I was put out that they didn't give the "neither" option. Not that I have some weird fetish - I am asexual, meaning that I don't experience sexual attraction. That got me thinking about correlations between the INTP personality and a lack of libido. Are asexual INTPs merely so detached from people that we don't feel anything for them, physically or otherwise?

And then I got curious about your opinions on the effect of personality on sexuality, even if it is based on stereotypes or base instincts. (i.e. ISFPs might prefer women as they are stereotypically gentler)

I don't want to make this argumentative, I just had a passing fancy and I want to increase the marketplace of ideas!

To avoid confusion, I would like to state that I hold stock in the belief that sexual preference can be genetically inherited, as well as a product of our environment.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
This INTP spent most of his life in a hyper-sexual state, so i guess that puts me on the other end of the spectrum as you.

Reactions: The Phantom

·
Registered
13 Posts
hmm i wonder how many intp do you know that are asexual?? i mean ive only met two one was a girl who was.. well a "fan" of sex lol. and the other was guy now he wasnt exactly a "fan" persay but he did have 3 kids and was married.
i guess what i mean getting at and i mean no offense, is maybe your just using "asexuality/ lack of libido" as unexcuse not to deal with all that drama, feelings, and other people involed in a relationship.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess what i mean getting at and i mean no offense, is maybe your just using "asexuality/ lack of libido" as unexcuse not to deal with all that drama, feelings, and other people involed in a relationship.
I think that is largely a part of it, since I have always been rather detached from my surrounding and the important people in my life. I flee from social conflict like a bat out of hell. I do find people aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but I've no will whatsoever to get physical.
Basically, if sex is like baseball, I'm sitting in the outfield staring at the ants, haha.

Have you always had this lack of sexual drive? Or was it something that slowly developed?
I remember being fascinated by love and romance as a child. However, when my peers started becoming interested in sex I became interested to the extent that I might like Egyptology or Renaissance artists. I understand it's impact and importance from my perspective as a curious scholar, but never felt it was relevant to my life. My personality developed into INTP habits right as I finished developing, which was around four years ago, so I suppose it's sort of like the chicken and the egg question in my case. Which is why I'm looking for insight from you guys. :happy:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well I don't know what is up with you but I am definitely not asexual :laughing:
I have to admit that I wasn't very interested in sexuality and relationships until I turned 18 though. Before that I was too busy with my interests and couldn't imagine myself in a relationship (still have trouble doing that).

·
Registered
13 Posts
okay god forbid i suggest this to a rational.. but when you say you have "no will whatsoever to get physical." do you think maybe your afraid of rejection?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it's a valid question. But I have given this subject much objective thought and found that it really is just not something I would find worthwhile, and could not find enough concrete pros to outweigh the cons as a teenaged female even if I woke up and found women or especially men attractive.

I do however admit that fear of social rejection did shape me into and INTP. Not to present a sob story, but I was psychologically bullied every day for a few years in elementary school by kids I was initially friends with, and had issues gaining acknowledgment from my older sisters as a child.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Curiosity is a good start :)

As for rationalizations as to why you might or might not want to have sex, you can get stuck thinking about this a long, long time but truth is that how sex drive works in humans is not very well understood and thinking about it does not tend to add or subtract from it. What really helps is finding the right partner, one that is able to stimulate your mind, especially so for females, then just let your curiosity take you from there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am super sexual. I feel like my sex-drive is above average. I enjoy getting lost in the pleasure and emotions for someone I care about. I feel like it is the only time I can get my brain to quiet down a little.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting topic.

I'm bisexual, not asexual, but I do have some issues with both physical and emotional intimacy. Not the same thing as being a true asexual, I know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hmm i wana say that this is a very intresting post that you have, and that im just about stumped lol especialy have arosmithgirls comment.
but before i gvie up i wana suggest a few more ideas, now keep in mind im just wildly swinging in the dark here.

maybe you just havent met the guy yet?? i mean your still young right? i mean they dont make guys like me every day :wink: lol jk

or ya know rationals are more masculin then other personalitys right? agian i mean no offense but maybe your comming off to strong and its intimidating to guys your age.. maybe its somting you'll grow out of when you get to college

but maybe the bad experieces in the past have just put a bad taste in your mouth? ya know like Pavlov's Dogs? where your conditioned to feel the way you do?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
maybe you just havent met the guy yet?? i mean your still young right? i mean they dont make guys like me every day :wink: lol jk

or ya know rationals are more masculin then other personalitys right? agian i mean no offense but maybe your comming off to strong and its intimidating to guys your age.. maybe its somting you'll grow out of when you get to college

but maybe the bad experieces in the past have just put a bad taste in your mouth? ya know like Pavlov's Dogs? where your conditioned to feel the way you do?

I guess all of those are possible, especially the part about coming off too strong to guys. I don't know. All I do know is that nobody I've even seen or met has made me attracted to them. :/

I personally believe that sexuality is something that our personality molds us into, which is why I wanted to see the other opinions of INTP (which are apparently quite varied!) I think we can be the extremes - very high and very low libido. Simply because sex and relationships aren't casual for us, and really, very little is casual with INTxs. :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
So, being someone that has extremely low or possibly no libido, what things are you passionate about? What "turns you on" ? Excuse the pun.

(I know this off topic, but I'm really curious)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
As I was creating my profile, I noticed that yet again a website has given me the preference option of "male", "female", or "both". Though I can't blame them, I was put out that they didn't give the "neither" option. Not that I have some weird fetish - I am asexual, meaning that I don't experience sexual attraction. That got me thinking about correlations between the INTP personality and a lack of libido. Are asexual INTPs merely so detached from people that we don't feel anything for them, physically or otherwise?

And then I got curious about your opinions on the effect of personality on sexuality, even if it is based on stereotypes or base instincts. (i.e. ISFPs might prefer women as they are stereotypically gentler)

I don't want to make this argumentative, I just had a passing fancy and I want to increase the marketplace of ideas!

To avoid confusion, I would like to state that I hold stock in the belief that sexual preference can be genetically inherited, as well as a product of our environment.
This is interesting!

I'm certainly not asexual, but I might place myself on the less sexually-driven side of the spectrum. This could be related to the INTP personality--I'm guessing the T more than anything, because that's what can lead us to be more detached and less emotionally passionate.
This plus the N leads me to be fascinated by the idea of sexuality. Though in some people's lives it's a hugely powerful force, and for others it's just a subtle undertone, I always see it as personally relevant to just about everyone. Thus, I have a very difficult time grasping the idea of asexuality (though I mean no offense to any asexuals here!).

I'm assuming there is some correlation between personality and sexual preference. Just as a lot of personality types have an unequal amount of men versus women, it also probably has to do with attraction to men versus attraction to women. But there are definitely no rules for that sort of thing... :happy:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts