Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I identify as asexual. I am not sure about aromantic though. I don't consider myself to be a romantically-inclined person at all, but in my idea of my perfect life, there is a committed-best-friend-and-partner-in-crime sort of person. however, I have done nothing and am inclined to do nothing to find such a person.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd consider myself asexual. I'm a male and I'm 'attracted' to females, and that seems to suggest that I am heterosexual. However, despite the attraction, I don't really feel any sexual urges. It's more of a "Oh, yeah. I guess I'd agree that she is pretty" sort of thing. I typically don't even think about it unless someone brings it up ("She's attractive don't you think?"). Even then I try maintain some sort of objectivity and end up being unsure of whether or not I'd consider the person in question as attractive.
Perhaps, I am heterosexual with asexual tendencies.

Personality type more likely affects the presentation/interpretation of our sexuality rather than our sexual orientation. Following this line of reason, INTPs' sexual orientation would be logically analyzed, determined to be clouding rational judgement, and this could lead to a manifestation of asexual thoughts and behaviors. Thus, INTP's appear to be more apathetic towards sex. Then again, INTPs are human and, like any other type, could just as well give into their sexual urges since they are evolutionarily rational and unavoidable.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
This was covered recently. Try page three of the INTP forum.

My favorite BS answer was "Asexual means being able to reproduce on one's own." :laughing:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There's a myth that men think about sex constantly, once every 7 seconds. This is usually found in a glossy Cosmopolitan or something like that. I think it has to do with those women wanting to think that men are sex starved and so it relieves the womens guilt of thinking about sex, or something else like that.

If you were thinking about sex every 7 seconds, that would be 8,228 times a day in a 16 hour day with 8 hours of sleep. More realistic numbers would be that most men usually think about sex a couple times a day or a few times a week.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I know a lot of INTJ's that are asexual as well.

Reactions: RestlessCryptid

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
You people aren't asexual, you're sexually repressed.

It's also why you lack motivation.

If you start chasing poon your life will go better.

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
You people aren't asexual, you're sexually repressed.

It's also why you lack motivation.

If you start chasing poon your life will go better.
No, many INTPs are asexual. Just because they don't act like horny teenage boys doesn't mean that they are sexually repressed.

INTPs lack motivation because they aren't obsessed with sex? What a stupid idea.

Oh, of course - we'll forget about doing anything important or productive and just spend our days harassing people for a few minutes of sex, because we are so obviously controlled by our genitals and not our brains.:crazy:

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
There's a myth that men think about sex constantly, once every 7 seconds. This is usually found in a glossy Cosmopolitan or something like that. I think it has to do with those women wanting to think that men are sex starved and so it relieves the womens guilt of thinking about sex, or something else like that.

If you were thinking about sex every 7 seconds, that would be 8,228 times a day in a 16 hour day with 8 hours of sleep. More realistic numbers would be that most men usually think about sex a couple times a day or a few times a week.
It's a stupid myth that demeans and dehumanises men. Are we supposed to think about sex at funerals? Are we supposed to think about sex near a group of children? Are we supposed to think about sex in public? It's one of those idiotic myths that too many people believe is true, for no reason other than they can't be bothered to check it's accuracy.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
No, many INTPs are asexual. Just because they don't act like horny teenage boys doesn't mean that they are sexually repressed.

INTPs lack motivation because they aren't obsessed with sex? What a stupid idea.

Oh, of course - we'll forget about doing anything important or productive and just spend our days harassing people for a few minutes of sex, because we are so obviously controlled by our genitals and not our brains.:crazy:
Sex, is the motivational force for all life.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Only if we are controlled by our animal instincts, and I think many humans are not controlled by such instincts anymore.
You are wrong.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Hormone issues, relationship issues, psychological issues, values instilled on you... just a few guesses of course ;)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I agree with skycloud. I think the fact that humans (well, some humans) can control their animalistic instincts has led to the huge gap between humans and other animals.....so to speak. I doubt albert einstein was constantly thinking about sex as he came up with his theories. I'm sure the same goes for many other innovators but I don't really have an extensive knowledge of them, so for now that's the only example I have XD

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

It's very true my friend. Most INTP's that I know don't give a damn about sex. I've been to an INTP psychologist and it was very hard for her to comprehend why I care about sex so much. "There are so many more important and productive things that you could be doing" she would say. I know another INTP like that as well, and he says the same. Virtually every INTP that I know is like this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It seems like there's a slight misinterpretation about asexuality;; Actual asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to other people. I'm not sure if there's a higher percentage of INTPs who are asexual or not, in that sense. However, while I don't identify as asexual- probably demisexual, actually, or lack of primary sexual attraction based on looks- I do find that I'm relatively not very sexual, and find the high amount of sexual topics among my peers really weird. However, in my group of friends, who are almost all introverts but with varying dominant functions, it seems to be a general trend...

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I was asexual temporarily due to hormonal issues, so I know first hand what it feels like. I thought everyone was messed up and I was the only normal one (even though I wasn't really resisting, I just had no desire whatsoever). I felt so alone and freaky at the same time though and once I had my problem treated I went back to "normal" however you define it, but it really changed my perspective. Now I know hormones are very drug like in that they seem to completely change your perception of things and change your behaviour so effectively you don't realize there's something very wrong when they're off. It was a really strange experience. I read about asexuality and realized that is precisely what was happening to me but on a forum they cautioned that people should really rule out some things like hormonal imbalances. Good thing I did, I would have suffered health effects that go beyond just being asexual. Now restored though, for a while I couldn't stop thinking about sex at first when treated but nowadays I'm a lot better, mostly because I'm a lot more busy and don't have time to go off into la-la-land like I used to and allow the urges to overcome me, so I feel rather balanced now.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Only if we are controlled by our animal instincts, and I think many humans are not controlled by such instincts anymore.
Either you are asexual or you have reached the rare level of "self-actualization" in Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts