Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Define?

Do you mean nanotechnology as in the nano robots of science fiction?
Or do you mean the use of the nanotechnology we already have?

If you mean the latter, that would be the FDA and other medical oversight commities which won't see our current technology levels in practice for another decade. By then who knows what advancements will be available, and not being used.
I guess what I mean is there are many many amazing applications that I have read about that are supposedly "just around the corner". I am curious to know what, if any scientific impediments there are (i.e. is it just the sheer difficulty of working precisely with subatomic particles that is not yet technologically feasible in a consistent manner yet?) Or is there some other technological or scientific hindrance? I honestly don't know much about the technology just the basic idea, and the premise of using millions of micro-robots to do everything from assemble into self-changing architecture to cell-repairing mechanisms sounds immensely exciting. Are there some specific scientific conundrums blocking this progress (for example missile defense is said to be just extremely difficult to get working mathematically), or is it just a matter of financing, or perhaps legal constraints as you seemed to allude to?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Well it's a number of things.

A: Firstly nanotechnology can refer to something as simple as, say, children's lincoln logs on a nano scale. Many new medication delivery systems are nano tech, but the sophistication is in their construction at that scale, not what they can actually do.

B: What they can do requires precise laboratory control.

C: There are a few nanomachines, but consider the current level of robotic technology: Robots are extremely limited in there abilities, try making a really tiny one, you have to sacrifice a lot. Nano machines are currently about as sophisticated as wheels and gears. Each machine only capable of doing one incredibly simple task.

D: Nanocomputers do not exist yet, no computer no brain. Nano robots do not yet exist in any form I am aware of, current nano tech is analog.

E: Should they overcome these difficulties, I am not aware of any nano power sources to run them.

F: the afore mentioned legal difficulties before any such things can be used in human trials. That's not just a decade before those trials can begin, there is still as much as a decade of human trials before they could ever be approved. That means a fully functional nanorobot designed to fight all known forms of disease, if invented today, would not be used for up to two decades.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Optics question. Imagine a black spot on a white surface. What color is the line separating the spot from the background? :mellow:
I never said that the only colors present are black and white. So far, I think @Eylrid 's second answer is the closest to the truth. :wink:
I must know the answer!!! You have to tell us! I am dying in anticiapation here!

Is it a rainbow? Since everything is continuous and the light waves will randomly be placed, right at the edge, some of the spectrum will happen to fall on the black dot and get absorbed and others will happen to fall on the white and get reflected. They will not be organized perfectly so that each lump of rainbow light falls on solely on one side or the other. Maybe so, mabey not?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I must know the answer!!! You have to tell us! I am dying in anticiapation here!

Is it a rainbow? Since everything is continuous and the light waves will randomly be placed, right at the edge, some of the spectrum will happen to fall on the black dot and get absorbed and others will happen to fall on the white and get reflected. They will not be organized perfectly so that each lump of rainbow light falls on solely on one side or the other. Maybe so, mabey not?
Ahhh.... I don't know if I should say... :crazy: You guys are describing what is going on near the boundary. You guys are close but there's just one..... little..... detail....

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
^ Uh no. Fine I'll say it. :happy:

Basically, the question is meaningless. Color is a property of objects, and not boundaries. :proud:

EDIT: Hehehehe! I feel so mischievous. :crazy:
There is no separating line. There's a line of separation. :tongue:

The boundary of the black is not the white. The boundary of the black is where black ends, not inclusive of white, and vice versa. The surface could have a hole instead of a spot and would have the same boundary. The spot could be by itself and still have the same boundary. There is no 'line' that differentiates the two - the two being different is what differentiates the two.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
What are the current limitations for a wireless transfer of electricity to be possible on a large scale? e.g. Having one generator send electricity to all households in a town without wires.
Depends on the method you choose to use. Currently it requires a shitload of energy to actually get it to transmit any distance at all. Tesla was able to light a field of lightbulbs 48 kilometres away in 1896, and since then no one has been able to replicate that feat. It also depends on the way that it is transmitted. Transverse waves lose power very quickly when trasmitting energy, whereas longitutonal waves actually retain most of it.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Depends on the method you choose to use. Currently it requires a shitload of energy to actually get it to transmit any distance at all. Tesla was able to light a field of lightbulbs 48 kilometres away in 1896, and since then no one has been able to replicate that feat. It also depends on the way that it is transmitted. Transverse waves lose power very quickly when trasmitting energy, whereas longitutonal waves actually retain most of it.
Another problem with attempting this , is that electricity will take the path of least resistance to ground. It only wants to travel along a conductor to get to a ground source or if something induces it to flow, such as an appliance that it plugged into an electrical circuit that is turned on. So the trick is to try and get the electricity and the surrounding atmosphere work together, this is almost impossible to regulate through an ever changing set of circumstances. Every weather variable would potentially have an effect, as well as the differing demand potentials in terms of voltage and amperage.Voltages can be changed to create different amperage levels, for different equipment type, and to over come resistance. Higher voltages more easily overcome resistance to flow , but are also more easily able to get past any form of insulating properties used to get the power to flow. We would probably be better off to try to build huge capacitors and a battery charging system and try to harness natural lightning in places like New Mexico, Florida, and Texas.

Reactions: Eylrid

·
Registered
608 Posts
What are the current limitations for a wireless transfer of electricity to be possible on a large scale? e.g. Having one generator send electricity to all households in a town without wires.
It probably depends on the method of transfer... there's the EMF method and the high voltage method which Tesla used. Neither one will work without serious damage to something else. Besides, it would be even easier to steal.

·
Banned
551 Posts
Another way of looking at this principle in a way that maybe helps you see what we are up against: Ever notice how difficult it is in certain environments to control static electricity. It would be really similar to trying to deliver live power to anything as you propose. If I am not mistaken, when you see a static spark jump, it has about 20k to 25k volts. This hurts, but doesn't kill if it is static that has almost no amperage. You start needing serious amperage for our everyday electrical needs.

It only takes the power of one 60 watt light bulb running on a 120v circuit to kill an adult. That is only 1/2 an amp of electricity. The smallest circuits in your homes electrical panel in the U.S. is 15 amps. No one is usually injured or killed because power is safely channeled to is destination in insulated wiring. Imagine for a moment if there was 25k volts of electricity that it would require to jump open air to its destination, but it had the 400amp service that some medium sized commercial electrical panels have. It would fry every living thing in its path. All you need to melt metal for welding is 120v at about 10 amps.....if it can do that to metal.......need I say more?

Reactions: Bote and Eylrid

·
Banned
551 Posts
There is another factor more important than any mentioned here: Greed.
I think it is the #1 factor for why there aren't lightning farms that charge huge under ground capacitors that could run the "world's" need from New Mexico alone. Tesla told our government every place that uses electric should have its own system for power supply via windmill or some other type of power generation. Greed is the #1 reason why this has never happened either. IF I had the money I could show you how easy it is to use pre-made parts from various sources to have your own small simple wind farm that is easy, safe, and reliable to power your home., much cheaper than what a company would come do it for.

Reactions: Monkey Fritz

·
Banned
551 Posts
It might be doable using lasers as a way of transmission... if you could effeciently transfer it back to electricity on the other end ... but still dangerous... you'd probably kill many birds
The energy it would require to send out the beams and then bend them around earth's curvature and then capture the energy, probably as heat, and then try to turn it back to electric, it would be so grossly inefficient that it wouldn't be worth pursuing.

I do admire you thinking outside the box, if you think I might have missed something please feel free to inquire.

Reactions: Eylrid

·
Registered
608 Posts
The energy it would require to send out the beams and then bend them around earth's curvature and then capture the energy, probably as heat, and then try to turn it back to electric, it would be so grossly inefficient that it wouldn't be worth pursuing.

I do admire you thinking outside the box, if you think I might have missed something please feel free to inquire.
That just depends on the implementation of it. It is at least focused and won't fry everything on the planet. There's also ways of bending light beams. Just because we don't have it worked out doesn't mean it's undoable. I can actually see it being the preferred method of transmission in space once we get there. Or on the moon where there's no atmosphere.

·
Banned
551 Posts
That just depends on the implementation of it. It is at least focused and won't fry everything on the planet. There's also ways of bending light beams. Just because we don't have it worked out doesn't mean it's undoable. I can actually see it being the preferred method of transmission in space once we get there. Or on the moon where there's no atmosphere.
The only other way I could see this even remotely coming close to working would be if somehow we could capture the photons of the laser light as in solar cells. Other than that, I draw a total blank. If you haven't guessed yet, I have a decent understanding of electrical energy.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The only other way I could see this even remotely coming close to working would be if somehow we could capture the photons of the laser light as in solar cells. Other than that, I draw a total blank. If you haven't guessed yet, I have a decent understanding of electrical energy.
There's other ways... but it depends on the application. If you wanted to transmit to the moon it would work real well. Then on the moon you could put a solar collector to a boiler/turbine or a stirling engine... on earth, solar cells would work but not for large power draws as solar cells are fairly weak... but that's not to say that we can't come up with something if we were going to try it... it's just kind of pointless though because old technology seems more reliable and safer in this case..

Personally, I think there's this whole green movement but that won't necessarily fix our energy needs long term... we're going to have to come up with something better than fission to fix our energy problems... that's really the only way to make space travel practical too.. there's got to be something else.

21 - 40 of 646 Posts