handful of walnuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon
coconut milk
sprinkle of chia seeds

Yummy!!!

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I've been hopping between vegetarian and vegan for a while.

I don't have the motivation for looking through all these posts right now, but has anyone mentioned vital wheat gluten? I'm making hot dogs right now out of it. It's the main ingredient in Seitan. Texture is awesome, and seems healthier.

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
I don't have the motivation for looking through all these posts right now, but has anyone mentioned vital wheat gluten? I'm making hot dogs right now out of it. It's the main ingredient in Seitan. Texture is awesome, and seems healthier.
In my honest opinion - its kinda like junk food in the vegan/vegetarian world. Yeah it's protein but when you are looking for any nutritional value compared to a lot of other things, it holds nothing (I'm talking about macro/micro nutrients, enzymes and vitamins). Not to mention it can be hard to digest. It should be treated as a "treat" and not an every night meal type thing. You can have lentils and brown rice to get complete protein which is help you gain more nutrition as well compared to vital wheat gluten. . . . BUT that's just my opinion ;-)

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I've been hopping between vegetarian and vegan for a while.

In my honest opinion - its kinda like junk food in the vegan/vegetarian world. Yeah it's protein but when you are looking for any nutritional value compared to a lot of other things, it holds nothing (I'm talking about macro/micro nutrients, enzymes and vitamins). Not to mention it can be hard to digest. It should be treated as a "treat" and not an every night meal type thing. You can have lentils and brown rice to get complete protein which is help you gain more nutrition as well compared to vital wheat gluten. . . . BUT that's just my opinion ;-)

I agree, @renna.

Eat food in its most natural state as much as possible. The less processed the better, and in my opinion, the more healthful.

Reactions: renna

·
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Are you aware there are Vegan condoms, since normal condoms do use products from animals?
Thank you for your interest in the thread, but the purpose of this thread is to discuss eating a plant-based/whole food (vegan) diet.

This isn't a vegan lifestyle thread. Please post only information or questions concerning the diet. In this way, we can avoid getting into off-topic debates about the lifestyle.

http://personalitycafe.com/health-fitness/104545-ask-vegan.html#post2643287

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Are you aware there are Vegan condoms, since normal condoms do use products from animals?
Yep. Most oral contraceptives are tested on animals, and some latex condoms contain milk protein, so it is true that we have to be careful about "being careful." Also, some lubes include dairy enzymes or even honey.

If you do a quick search online for vegan condoms, or for vegan lube, you can find brands that are cruelty free. You might have to do a bit of research, though, because some claim to be vegan while still testing on animals.

There are a lot of good vegan sex products out there, and plenty of weird ones. I've even seen .... get this... a bacon flavored lube that is completely vegan!
Baconlube - Sex Toys at Good Vibrations - GoodVibes.com

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Yep. Most oral contraceptives are tested on animals, and some latex condoms contain milk protein, so it is true that we have to be careful about "being careful." Also, some lubes include dairy enzymes or even honey.

If you do a quick search online for vegan condoms, or for vegan lube, you can find brands that are cruelty free. You might have to do a bit of research, though, because some claim to be vegan while still testing on animals.

There are a lot of good vegan sex products out there, and plenty of weird ones. I've even seen .... get this... a bacon flavored lube that is completely vegan!
Baconlube - Sex Toys at Good Vibrations - GoodVibes.com
Gosh, there are companies that make vegan products; yet, go against the vegan rules? What is the point in that?

·
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Gosh, there are companies that make vegan products; yet, go against the vegan rules? What is the point in that?
Again ... please confine your questions specifically to the diet. If you want to discuss that topic, start your own thread, please do not derail this one.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Again ... please confine your questions specifically to the diet. If you want to discuss that topic, start your own thread, please do not derail this one.
I love how you try to call me out on talking to another human being about a topic that you may not be interested in; yet, you fail to call out the other person who went into more depth in my question. :proud:

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
These are amazing btw - HAD to share!

Lime Chipotle Avocados

Ingredients

1 avocado
2 tablespoons agave or date paste
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 scant teaspoon chipotle seasoning
1 tablespoon chopped chives (did not have chives so I used garlic)
salt and pepper to taste

Methods/steps:

Simply cut an avocado in half and pour a tablespoon of agave and lime juice in the seed cavity of each half. Sprinkle on the chipotle seasoning, add some chopped chives, and salt and pepper to taste.

·
15,420 Posts
Their goal is to expand their market with as little financial inconvenience as possible, I assume.

One of my friends accidentally bought some lip balm that said it was vegan, but had beeswax in it. Most "non-dairy" creamers have milk protein in them, as do a lot of soy/almond/rice cheese substitutes. Whether you are attempting to switch to a vegan lifestyle, or just a vegan diet, it is necessary to check the ingredients on everything you wish to buy vegan. You might have to do a bit of research in order to inform yourself about hidden non-vegan ingredients.

The internet is your friend. There are plenty of online lists that can help you determine whether unknown food ingredients are vegan.

HappyCow: Animal Ingredient List A-Z

Hidden ingredients: what to watch out for - The Vegan Society

Hidden Animal Ingredients in Foods - For Dummies

Also, when buying toiletries, if something doesn't specifically say that it wasn't tested on animals, I assume that it probably was.

Sorry to derail the thread. I figured if people wanted to ask a vegan about lifestyle issues, it was still essentially about veganism and therefore relevant. I live a vegan lifestyle, and I am comfortable answering the lifestyle questions if nobody else wants to.

·
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Sorry to derail the thread. I figured if people wanted to ask a vegan about lifestyle issues, it was still essentially about veganism and therefore relevant. I live a vegan lifestyle, and I am comfortable answering the lifestyle questions if nobody else wants to.
Feel free to comment here, @snail, but please keep the comments relevant to the diet only. Once you bring in topics like animal testing, or the vegan lifestyle it opens up the doors to an influx of comments that quickly spiral into a meat-eaters vs vegans derail. It's happened a couple of times here ... the mods had to delete posts.

Diet related questions and answers only, please.

Reactions: snail

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Their goal is to expand their market with as little financial inconvenience as possible, I assume.

One of my friends accidentally bought some lip balm that said it was vegan, but had beeswax in it. Most "non-dairy" creamers have milk protein in them, as do a lot of soy/almond/rice cheese substitutes. Whether you are attempting to switch to a vegan lifestyle, or just a vegan diet, it is necessary to check the ingredients on everything you wish to buy vegan. You might have to do a bit of research in order to inform yourself about hidden non-vegan ingredients.

The internet is your friend. There are plenty of online lists that can help you determine whether unknown food ingredients are vegan.

HappyCow: Animal Ingredient List A-Z

Hidden ingredients: what to watch out for - The Vegan Society

Hidden Animal Ingredients in Foods - For Dummies

Also, when buying toiletries, if something doesn't specifically say that it wasn't tested on animals, I assume that it probably was.

Thanks. You a very informed.

·
15,420 Posts
Feel free to comment here, @snail, but please keep the comments relevant to the diet only. Once you bring in topics like animal testing, or the vegan lifestyle it opens up the doors to an influx of comments that quickly spiral into a meat-eaters vs vegans derail. It's happened a couple of times here ... the mods had to delete posts.

Diet related questions and answers only, please.

In that case, anyone wishing for information about the lifestyle has my permission to send me a private message at any time.

I understand and respect your reasons for limiting this thread, and I appreciate the clarification.

·
Registered
529 Posts
First off, props to the OP for starting this thread. You are AWESOME!!!!

I wanted to chime in on a few questions I keep seeing pop up on this thread re: the expense issue and ways to get more veggies and fruits into your diet. First a bit of backstory...

My partner and I enjoy cooking and eating well. Over the last 10 years we've been gradually shifting to more organic fruits, vegetables, grains and (yeah) meats, although the amount of meat we consume on a weekly basis has become less and less. We're noticing more and more that we feel "heavy" and sluggish after eating beef and lamb so we've cut back on them and have more fish (esp. Salmon, trout, occasionally tuna), and chicken. Also the movie (on Netflix) "Forks Over Knives" and "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" have further inspired us.

We've been able to include more organic products by having our own garden and growing greens in our sunroom between late fall and early spring. We support our local growers at our farmers market and shop at our food co-op which contracts with local farmers.

One really good and delicious way to get more veggies and fruits into your diet is to juice them. We started doing this a month ago and have noticed we have LOTS more energy, have trimmed up (we're not over weight), our skin (esp. complexion) is noticeably better. For those that like those So-Be type drinks, juicing your own fruits and veggies is way more nutritious because it's fresher, you control the ingredients, and the quality isn't diminished due to pasteurization. Anyone interested in benefits of juicing, recipes, juicers please PM me so as to not derail this thread. We've also just started learning to make almond milk as a substitute for dairy milk (soooo freaking EASY and tasty it's amazing).

As for the expense of switching to a more whole and raw food diet, compare the per pound cost of fruits and veggies to the per pound cost of meat.

Our last trip to the grocery store we spent about $70, over half of that amount was for a box of wine, a block of cheese, and meat ( roughly 5lbs for multiple meals: stir frys, spaghettis sauce, wraps). The rest was for: 2 large bags of spinach, 1 large head of Romaine lettuce, 2 lbs cremini mushrooms, 4 yellow onions, 4 sweet onions, 6 red bell peppers, one bunch of green onions, gingerroot, 8 lemons, 1 stalk celery, 8 cucumbers, 1 pineapple, 10lbs apples, two 10lb bags of carrots.

So what do we make with all that produce? We juice about half over the course of 1-2 weeks, the rest goes to make salads, soups, stir fry, stews. Even if one were to buy organic produce you'd probably spend not much more than you would buying a lot of meat and dairy products. And as MsBossyPants has mentioned throughout this thread, incorporating beans, lentils and other grains is an easy way to round out the menu without adding a lot to your grocery bill too.

Buying in bulk is a great way to save (we shop our local WinCo, food co-op, COSTCO, Trader Joes).

As for ways to prepare your veggies, grains etc. learn to use spices, healthy oils, broths etc. In this day of the interweb, there are so many good Youtube channels where you can find foodies sharing amazing recipes. It's like having your own personal chef walking you through each step. Some of my favorite and tastiest dishes are the simple ones so if you're not confident in your cooking skills, start small and simple. Don't feel like you have to jump 100% into going vegan, vegetarian etc.

Lastly, a few shout outs. @renna (p. 7, 16), the OP @MsBossyPants (p.8, 20)

Awesome contributions - specific info on benefits and uses of ingredients. For those readers that might have missed them by "skipping ahead" in this thread (it's a long thread that will only get longer) be sure to go back and check them out :wink:.

·
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Welcome, @MooseAndSquirrel (love your username btw)

Thank you for your contributions above.

Anyone interested in benefits of juicing, recipes, juicers please PM me so as to not derail this thread.
Personally, I prefer to blend my drinks (using the whole fruit or vegetable). Either way, a great way to add more fruits or vegetables into a diet.

That's not a derail. The purpose of the thread is to discuss eating a plant-based diet. Juicing falls within that. Feel free to post recipes or answer any questions anyone may post about juicing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome, @MooseAndSquirrel (love your username btw)

Thank you for your contributions above.

Personally, I prefer to blend my drinks (using the whole fruit or vegetable). Either way, a great way to add more fruits or vegetables into a diet.

That's not a derail. The purpose of the thread is to discuss eating a plant-based diet. Juicing falls within that. Feel free to post recipes or answer any questions anyone may post about juicing.
Thank you MBP. True to type, not only did I go through the.entire.thread, but I respectfully took your directive not to derail it to heart. However I'm tickled that you've given me the green (no pun intended) light to share what I've been learning on juicings nutritional benefits and delicious veggie/fruit combinations. I will be back :happy:. I'm going to now check this as one of my top fave threads and keep up on it!

btw, I'm the Moose (my ESTJ is Squirrel :laughing: )

201 - 220 of 656 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.