Personality Cafe banner

2061 - 2080 of 4286 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello ENTJs,

I'd love to hear some Te advice about my current situation. I really need a logical voice right now before I end up making any rash decisions.

Being an INFP, I've always disliked the conventional workplace.

I basically spent the past 5 years working a series of temp/contract/part-time jobs just to avoid working the nightmarish full-time jobs.

And just recently I finally decide to settle down in life and I decided to try out this full-time job, and this is my first "real" job and I've been here for a month, and I'm still under probation, and I find myself feeling so unhappy in my job.

This job is basically a mismatch with my personality, this job is a very "fast-paced" job, but I'm a "slow-paced" person, so my boss is always telling me that I'm slow and to hurry up and be fast.

Hearing those comments every day made me feel so incompetent in my job, and I find myself slowly losing motivation in my job and even starting to dislike this job.

I find myself struggling with two voices in my head.

One of the voices is telling me to quit this job because this job is making me really unhappy and the only way for me to be happy again is to get out of this job, but the other voice is telling me to stay in this job because quitting this job so quickly would leave a bad impression on my future employers.

My final goal is to start my own business full-time, and the business that I'm planning to start would require me to invest a minimum of 10k. And starting my own business also means that I'll have to pay the monthly rental fees for the shop, and also the price for the goods and also the workers' salary every month.

But I only earn like 1k in my current job. If I were to wait until the day I have enough money to start my own business before I quit this job, that means I'll have to be stucked in that miserable environment for a few years, and I'll basically be depressed for 40 hours a week for the next few years....

I really feel like following my heart and just quit this job right now, but am I being impulsive by doing so? Or should I wait for awhile before quitting this job? If yes, then how long should I wait?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Hello ENTJs,

I'd love to hear some Te advice about my current situation. I really need a logical voice right now before I end up making any rash decisions.
You mean you want to hear some advice before you completely ignore it and do what you were going to do anyway?

This job is basically a mismatch with my personality, this job is a very "fast-paced" job, but I'm a "slow-paced" person
Also, Dont blame mbti for your personal issues.

I'll bite, here is my advice:
There is a palace for people like you. Its called the public sector. Go work in the DMV or something.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,063
Hello ENTJs,

I basically spent the past 5 years working a series of temp/contract/part-time jobs just to avoid working the nightmarish full-time jobs.

And just recently I finally decide to settle down in life and I decided to try out this full-time job, and this is my first "real" job and I've been here for a month, and I'm still under probation, and I find myself feeling so unhappy in my job.

This job is basically a mismatch with my personality, this job is a very "fast-paced" job, but I'm a "slow-paced" person, so my boss is always telling me that I'm slow and to hurry up and be fast.

Hearing those comments every day made me feel so incompetent in my job, and I find myself slowly losing motivation in my job and even starting to dislike this job.

One of the voices is telling me to quit this job because this job is making me really unhappy and the only way for me to be happy again is to get out of this job, but the other voice is telling me to stay in this job because quitting this job so quickly would leave a bad impression on my future employers.

My final goal is to start my own business full-time, and the business that I'm planning to start would require me to invest a minimum of 10k. And starting my own business also means that I'll have to pay the monthly rental fees for the shop, and also the price for the goods and also the workers' salary every month.

But I only earn like 1k in my current job. If I were to wait until the day I have enough money to start my own business before I quit this job, that means I'll have to be stucked in that miserable environment for a few years, and I'll basically be depressed for 40 hours a week for the next few years....

I really feel like following my heart and just quit this job right now, but am I being impulsive by doing so? Or should I wait for awhile before quitting this job? If yes, then how long should I wait?

It depends.

My general rule goes like this:

**If the workplace as a whole is toxic and you aren't in a position to change it, leave. It's the equivalent of staying in an abusive relationship. You can't change the abusive behavior. You'll continue to be victimized.

**If the problem is one person, try to open a dialogue, especially if the person is your supervisor. Poor supervisors/managers tend to focus on the negative and only interact with you to tell you what you are doing wrong. It leaves the impression that you aren't performing well as a whole. Try to talk to him/her about your performance in general - what you're doing well, what you need help with, and ask for advice. That way what you'll get is advice, not criticism. It's not really helpful for your boss to tell you that you aren't doing your job well. It's much better to provide counsel on how to do it better. Starting the discussion shows a willingness to learn on your part and may signal your boss that you're making an effort, but merely need extra guidance.

**Take a look at the problem objectively. Don't take the criticism personally. Is it really the supervisor being tough on you, or are you really not performing well? If not, the issue isn't so much your job performance that's holding you back, it's your own negative internal dialogue that's thwarting your efforts. You can learn a new skill (or how to do one more efficiently) if you are open-minded enough to be willing to see that there is room for improvement. Resenting the criticism if it's warranted, and assigning the blame for your unhappiness on the job, rather than your possible feeling of inadequacy in this area isn't productive. The job isn't making you unhappy, your perception of it is.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You mean you want to hear some advice before you completely ignore it and do what you were going to do anyway?

Also, Dont blame mbti for your personal issues.

I'll bite, here is my advice:
There is a palace for people like you. Its called the public sector. Go work in the DMV or something.
Don't be rude to the INFPs, they are our friends.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hello ENTJs,

I've always found it easier to get another job while I've got a job. When applying I'll just say something like, I really like my current job but they can't give me enough work so I need to move on. I've gotten a less-than-ideal short-term job while I've looked for something more suitable, people can be quite understanding if you level with them and let them know your current job pays the bills but you'd really love to work with them instead.

If you're not suited to your current job and clearly don't enjoy it you're not going to last beyond your probation, so you should start looking now before you're unemployed. It's much harder to explain to prospective employers that you were let go than it is to explain-away a short time at a job.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I watched the first one for like 20 minutes, then like 4 years later I was forced to watch the whole first movie. Still dont know what the hype is about.
You've got to be kidding! It's a brilliant tapestry of interwoven everything!

The LOTR series whether novels or movies, sits in my top ten of all time.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think this is a matter of perception. As you said, he just wants the work done now, and done properly. Doesn't sound too unreasonable. The "freaking out" (what does that mean?) will be happening if there is massive inefficiency, or the ENTJ can see that something in the process is going to effect the outcome. I'd get really mad too if this were the case.

The ENTJ dominant-tertiary loop is Te-Se, which can be ugly and micromanaging when unhealthy. It doesn't mak ENTJs "freak out" under stress, but it does make them controlling, focusing too much on process and magnifying mistakes that their Ni-Fi might allow for.

It is very easy to be offended by criticism, or dislike your boss and assume they're a psychopath because they hurt your feels when trying to get results. Before diagnosing them with anything have a really good look at your team and the criticisms put forward by the person in question. Were there real, substantial problems (don't minimize them if there were, and say he was nit-picking), were his responses and actions proportionate to the problem, given everything that is riding on this outcome. See if you can articulate your problem, is it with his choice of action, or is it how he made you feel? ENTJs strive to be as objective as possible, and if you can point out an error of logic or an emotional overreaction we will modify our behaviour.

If you think it's serious and there's no hope, go to his superiors. Make sure you have people on-side though, document everything and make sure your case is water-tight, because if he can show he was in the right and make you look like the squeaky wheel on this machine then it may have serious repercussions for you. When an ENTJ decides to cut you down, we make sure you don't get back up.
The ENTJ is freaking out because he's stressed, burned out and saturated with this project. Same as the INTP, but they react differently to this reality. Part of it that it has failed before and was re launched, part of it that the entj has more experience and therefore can see more things that could go wrong. He's an invaluable asset to the team, no questioning that, but his Fi is acting up in really strange ways. He was mad the other day because he thought everyone was "teaming up on him" because intp and made a criticism and someone else agreed. He didn't even consider what they were saying, his mind was locked in "you people hate me". That's typical inferior Fi stuff. That;s what I'm talking about, you know?
He's invested in the whole thing though, he should be able to get on retirement by now, but the intp cares so much that he knows that would be pretty bad for the entj, giving up on something he's been working on for years, and get his pension and do nothing. Because his life is work. Which i keep telling him is absolutely not healthy.
I agree with everything else you said, but the entj is not the boss here. He just likes thinking himself as one. It makes the INTP reluctant to voice his judgements because that's counterproductive (whos the J here eh?) and my advice to him was to keep pushing when he feels things need to be pushed, you cant be constantly walking on eggshells when shit need to get done. Express his feelings and thoughts regardless of what the entjs reaction might be, and the entj will chill and introspect enough to seriously consider their merit.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
@mangodelic psycho - Just stop. None of what you describe is ENTJ. One of the main strengths of an ENTJ is to not worry over past failures and to look to the future with optimism. Which the person you're describing is lacking in every sense. I didn't say so before, but you seem to be describing an ES_J of some sort. Right down to the work = life attitude of an SJ on the more industrious side.

Also, if the project is almost over, it was pointless to even ask for advice in the first place. Wait for the project to be over, let him retire and that's that. If you want to vent, that's fine, but having to read your passive-aggressive rants under the guise of asking for advice is a waste of time and especially a waste of effort to reply to. A little common sense goes a long way in these types of situations. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
@mangodelic psycho - Just stop. None of what you describe is ENTJ. One of the main strengths of an ENTJ is to not worry over past failures and to look to the future with optimism. Which the person you're describing is lacking in every sense. I didn't say so before, but you seem to be describing an ES_J of some sort. Right down to the work = life attitude of an SJ on the more industrious side.

Also, if the project is almost over, it was pointless to even ask for advice in the first place. Wait for the project to be over, let him retire and that's that. If you want to vent, that's fine, but having to read your passive-aggressive rants under the guise of asking for advice is a waste of time and especially a waste of effort to reply to. A little common sense goes a long way in these types of situations. :rolleyes:
I highly doubt it. He's a Te dom that much is certain, as certain as one can be when typing people. I keep using "entj" to address the guy because I obviously can't use his name. I also did not ask for anymore of your advice, as you didn't provide any, really. All you said (even after I apologised for my post containing too many criticisms based on stereotypes) was that it seems like I'm making this up and kept repeating this doesn't sound like you, even though I made it very clear I was talking about an entj in a different phase in time, life conditions and mentality than you are, which you failed to take into account.
I would love to continue my discussion with furry and any of the other people in here, they might have been in a similar situation with themselves or someone else, and you're not in a position to tell me if I can do that or not. Don't quote or mention me anymore, thanks.

·
Registered
792 Posts
@mangodelic psycho
I'm having difficulty understanding this scenario because you've put a lot of your perspective onto it and you could be misinterpreting the situation. For instance, working really hard is not unhealthy for us, it's exhilarating. I lean into situations others find stressful, it's when I'm at my best. Stagnation is death, so don't see him looking forward to retirement unless he has more projects planned or can still consult.

I don't experience being in the grip as caring what others think, that's an Fe thing. An ENTJs strength is being impervious to most criticism but holding ourselves to the highest expectations. If someone doesn't like me, onward and upward, they don't have to like me in order to get the job done.

I think you just have different approaches and should look forward to finishing the project and moving on.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
I highly doubt it. He's a Te dom that much is certain, as certain as one can be when typing people. I keep using "entj" to address the guy because I obviously can't use his name. I also did not ask for anymore of your advice, as you didn't provide any, really. All you said (even after I apologised for my post containing too many criticisms based on stereotypes) was that it seems like I'm making this up and kept repeating this doesn't sound like you, even though I made it very clear I was talking about an entj in a different phase in time, life conditions and mentality than you are, which you failed to take into account.
I would love to continue my discussion with furry and any of the other people in here, they might have been in a similar situation with themselves or someone else, and you're not in a position to tell me if I can do that or not. Don't quote or mention me anymore, thanks.
Since you missed it: "Wait for the project to end, let him retire and that's that." and "A little common sense goes a long way in these types of situations.". I also told you to avoid or minimize contact with him since that's pretty much all you can do in that type of situation. Sorry your feelings were too hurt from a few choice words in response to your passive-aggressiveness. :rolleyes: Anyway, there's no advice to be given that hasn't already been said, but enjoy beating a dead horse because you're too dense to realize that. So yeah, go cry to mommy about this one meanie ENTJ. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Don't be rude to the INFPs, they are our friends.
I was actually quite serious. It seemed like she can enjoy the benefits of the public sector.

·
10,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,074 (Edited)
mangodelic psycho

I missed your original post about this topic, saw the last few, and was interested in what's going on with the work-related meltdown this guy was having. Went back through the thread and read up on what's happening.

I'll preface my input into your situation by saying this: I agree with what you yourself mentioned earlier - that you could be stereotyping a bit, but would point out that you may also be painting with too broad of a brush which may be skewing your perception of ENTJs, or even in thinking that this guy is an ENTJ. You mentioned earlier that "TJs" tend to behave a certain way, and applied your knowledge of judging behavior to the co-worker. But stop to think of, say, broadly describing "TPs". Huge difference between the quiet, cerebral, abstract INTP and the big, bold, tactical in-your-face ESTP. In the same way, you'll find a huge difference even between TJ Te-doms in the attention-to-detail, "this is how it must be done", looking over your shoulder position of an ESTJ and the "I don't care HOW you do it, here is what needs doing, let me know if you need help, but I need it by Friday" approach of an ENTJ.

The danger in painting with that broad stroke "TJs are apt to behave THIS way" scenario is that one tends to project characteristics of one type onto another, which usually leads to mistyping and misunderstandings.

But as you've posted, I think you may see that now.

My overall two cents on the situtation? I think @furryfury provided you with some spot-on observations and some good advice, but my approach is usally less focused on MBTI typing and more on the individual, or as I like to say, "MBTI typing aside, sometimes an asshole is just an asshole.". It becomes less about: "how do you react to an XXXX in the grip of ... ", and more about "how do you deal with someone who is just being difficult?" You call them out for being an asshole. Of course, you have to clean that up and offer the opinion in a more palatable way, but clearly this guy is difficult to work with and should be called out for it.

As a manager, I've gotten good results over the years in just being honest and straightforward when dealing with people like this. It doesn't do any good to argue with them or try to point out why they may be wrong. They think they are right about every thing and will fight to the death about it. It just tends to escalate the situation to engage with them on that level. I've found you're more likely to get results by pointing out that at this point it doesn't really matter who is right or wrong, we have a problem that needs fixing, and his tirades and micromanaging aren't helping. I'd pull him aside and tell him, "The biggest problem in the room right now is you. Look at it objectively and see that. Take a breath, walk away, and come back when you can be a productive member of the team and come up with some rational input, until then knock it off with the drama, it's unproductive."

Who ever has the authority (was it the INTP?) should step up and rein this guy in.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The best kinds of Christmas gifts are the ones where the person gets you something you actually want and would have bought for yourself eventually. Or cool stuff you didn't know you needed.

I remember 3 years ago I had a side job where I was a fragrance model for a big company, and I won a huge sales competition for the entire division that year and my prize was a huge gift basket full of gratis (free full size bottles of fragrance). It was all high end luxury cologne and perfume, there were 11 bottles total. This was around Christmas time and when I went home for the holidays I gave it all to my family lol... they loved it. My little 12 year old brother was wearing Hermes and Versace LOL. I have a twin brother and older brother too. My mom got all the women's stuff to herself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi fellow ENTJs. Just want to ask a quick question. If you need to get a job immediately, like in 2 weeks, would you ever apply for casual jobs like kitchen hand, waitress, cleaner or grocery staff, something like that?
Because honestly it's really hard for me to do something with too much detail like that.
I just need some input. Thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi fellow ENTJs. Just want to ask a quick question. If you need to get a job immediately, like in 2 weeks, would you ever apply for casual jobs like kitchen hand, waitress, cleaner or grocery staff, something like that?
Because honestly it's really hard for me to do something with too much detail like that.
Yes, because they're low-skill, low wage jobs that I could pretty much walk into. If you want less "detail" do general labour through a recruitment company, fruit picking, dish hand, delivery driver, whatever.

In the short term I'll do whatever I have to to make ends meet. Then once I can afford to, find a better job.

·
10,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,078
Sure, if I needed the money. When I was attending college, worked as a grocery clerk because the money was good and the hours were flexible. It's not something I would have wanted to do long term, though. Mind-numbingly boring work.

"hi how are you? ... $57.82 ... thank you ... hi how are you? ... $28.49 ... thank you ..." perfect job for a robot. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
@furryfury @MsJollyPants
Yeah haha thank you.

This is part of the plan actually.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. So, I just moved overseas. Finally. After three years working in my home country. Yeah I had to wait three years just to save some money, the currency in my home country is weak.
It was an uphill battle in the last few months.
But here I am. New country, new people, even new language. Ha.

So the thing is, I really want to apply for professional job, but it's almost holiday. I won't get any until next February probably.
And it has been 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
but his Fi is acting up in really strange ways. He was mad the other day because he thought everyone was "teaming up on him" because intp and made a criticism and someone else agreed. He didn't even consider what they were saying, his mind was locked in "you people hate me". That's typical inferior Fi stuff. That;s what I'm talking about, you know?

That's Fe.

No wonder his Fi seems strange ;)

and the entj will chill and introspect enough to seriously consider their merit.

Uhhh... Te is extroverted. So you want an ENTJ to extrovert to consider your opinion.
It's their internal perspective that is more subjective.

So it really sounds like you are dealing with Ti, if your instincts say he needs to look inward.

Ti - Fe / Fe - Ti axis.

2061 - 2080 of 4286 Posts