Personality Cafe banner

3001 - 3020 of 4286 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Do ENTJs scan for weakness when talking to a potential romantic interest, or when talking to people in general?
By "scanning," I just take notice of things I like and don't like about people. It can be in conversations, or just pure naturalistic observation. I end up sorting people into categories due to traits. I know who to ask if I need quick assistance on a physics problem, and I know who to go to for a gay ol' time.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Do ENTJs scan for weakness when talking to a potential romantic interest, or when talking to people in general?
I have a more efficient dichotomy: Boring or interesting?

Some preys can be extremely interesting, and some predators are extremely boring. If I'm looking for company, I'm much more interested in what you have to give than what you are. The latter is only important for observing (a.k.a stalking).

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Is character the source of actions, or are actions the source of character?
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." (Aristotle)

Te-Se combo forces me to be an empiricist, a subscriber of Tabula Rasa. However, I limit my subscription to virtues and qualities and exclude dispositions and talents. Potential does not indicate character. We can only know someone's character once we have seen his actions, and our character is knowable only that way too. The misunderstandings we often incur in our relationships are, I believe, due to insufficient data and our own prejudices.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Is being in a position to manage others a real goal or desirable outcome for you and not just a stereotype?

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Is being in a position to manage others a real goal or desirable outcome for you and not just a stereotype?
I think it depends on the ennea type. Type 8s are more likely to pursue power for the sake of power. Type 3s are likely to pursue power as a status symbol. Not sure about Type 5 but Type 1 will pursue power in the classic INTJ way of effecting their vision.

The only constant is that we all pursue power. Whether it is an end itself or a means to an end is where we differ.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,010
It's inate.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Funny, @Stawker stole my answer veritably verbatim, which proves the point he made that I was going to, by the very fact we are both 1s. I like to lead and be in charge, as it feels natural to me, but it isn't necessary. Leadership in social settings is typically just the result of people being inspired by me, so when I go off and do my own thing, they follow along. Being in charge in the workplace is typically just that I know how best to do things.
But if somebody more qualified can effect the same results, I'm fine with that. For example, if ENTJ 8s are better at managing, while I'm better at long term planning, I'd have no problem following their lead, under the stipulation they respect my input. If they do not recognize my capacity for pre-empting problems or highlighting superior plan implementation, I stop valuing their capacity and start to resemble an 8w7 myself, stubbornly challenging their merit.

·
Banned
374 Posts
I'll join MsBossyPants on the "It's innate".

Managing others and taking leadership positions is a natural consequence of : someone having a goal big enough to involve people in it - and taking action to reach it. As often said : "It's not about the role. It's about the goal." And there are no better functions than the Te-Ni-Se stack to prove that.

From what I've seen from the ENTJs close to me :

Type 1 - Will join Stawker & Ikusagami on this. Managing is more a byproduct of creating and sharing one's clear vision and to make it possible by taking an "inspirational stance" instead of a "leading" stance. Usually not really motivated to battle for leading positions, they prefer using their ressources to refine their own visions and ideals. (Which makes them easy to mistype as INTJs... until you see them in a Fi-grip.)

Type 8 -
Managing others is still the byproduct of applying one's vision to the world.
But from what I've seen, ENTJ 8 tends to feel emotionally threatened more quickly by the outer world - as a result they tend to dive in action in order to take control of the physical world and kill the sources of all negative emotions in the process. (I may misread them, but that's how I see it)

They don't care about "managing others/taking leadership position for the sake of it". They manage others so that the world bends to their will. In the leading process, "Others" are merely objects they can control to reach the desired outcomes -for the better or worse-. You could say that the ENTJ 8 acts as the brain, while people are acting as simple body parts. They are his eyes. His ears. His hands. His... whatever. You get the thing.

Paradoxically, from all types, xxTJ Type 8 are the ones I've heard the most complaining about taking leadership positions. Mainly loneliness and exhaustion caused by this position. Wishing they would encounter more autonomous and reliable people, with whom they could share the burden of being at the top. Relating also to the feeling of being used and drained as a human being.

Usually, they stack these negative emotions deeply, focusing in continuous actions in order to forget them, bury them. But a lack of positive rewards/results tends to trigger them, make them explode, and then implode. Having witnessed that, I would believe that managing others isn't seen as a goal in itself but seen as a necessity by ENTJs 8.

ENTJ Type 5... Is it even a thing ?!
I can only picture an ENTJ in depression (Or a mistyped 1). I might be biased though.
Both my ENTJ friends develop Type 5 or 4 bad tendencies whenever they feel bad. "I'm a empty shell nothing matters retreat retreat isolation isolation need 2 underst4nd" "I'm a haunted artist and nobody understand the beauty of my art and ideaaaaaaals. Whyyyyyyyyy."

·
Registered
97 Posts
@Fumetsu (and also @W W, and any other ENTJs who have suffered long bouts of disability/debilitation),

How do you handle stress when deprived of physical outlets? I handle inactivity the same as you--video games have largely taken the place of physical hobbies--but this does nothing to deal with general tension and Fi issues, which frankly, are much more easily exacerbated by living contrary to one's nature (how INTJs survive this I have no idea!).
And don't say read; as a bibliophile who is too stressed to focus, the situation is uncannily similar to that episode of the Twilight Zone where the guy survives a nuclear holocaust but breaks his glasses. :laughing:

Just being crippled is driving me insane, as if the stomach disease wasn't bad enough, and I'm barely surviving the slew of ancillary/interpersonal issues that would be maddening even without being incapacitated; the knowledge that my surgeries are going to leave me even further debilitated (ie. useless) for a long stretch of time is fairly... unpleasant.

Since I cannot do tameshigiri or beat on a punching bag to blow off steam, any alternative methods for dealing with profound stress would be highly appreciated, and potentially life-saving.
Thank you. :)
I went towards gardening, redecorating my home, photography and image. I guess the main thing for me was to be happy with little things. My main idea was if my home and body were going to be a prison ... It would be a prison I would never want to leave. Besides that binge watching netflix or the stars.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Okay, this is the kind of question one asks a mod, but given mods have vastly different temperaments, typist predispositions, and personal interpretations of rules, I'd need a strong Te user to even recommend what mod would be right to approach with such an issue.
Anyway, said issue is unsurprising, given the pattern spanning the last two months, and my other recent drunken (again) posts.

Question: can people who post entirely for the sake of stalking be banned?

Pretty sure all the regular NTs know who I'm talking about, given that after leaving in a blaze of ignominy (with outright lies about the situation, which made me look as bad as she wants to) she only re-emerges immediately after I post about ending a toxic relationship, despite stating no less than two dozen times she'd never return. I couldn't even mention something said by MBP or Handsome Jack without her interrupting, "I don't care about that stupid fucking forum or anybody on it."
Yet every time I get away from her, there she is.
And she's manipulative enough she always manages to get to me (she closes million dollar deals for a living; I'm not trained to handle that level of BS). She has outright admitted her posts on the forum are aimed at baiting me, even if looking at her post history didn't make this obvious (all community posts before leaving, only ENTJ posts since, most of which are aimed at me, or contradictions of things she's said to me to incite me to confrontation wherein she can play the victim and top from the bottom until she manipulates me back into place).

I ask this because I've set her to ignore, and then see how pathetic this feature really is, as it still shows that posts from somebody who admits all their posts are aimed at baiting or manipulating me are there, but simply doesn't display the content. Naturally, I'm going to be curious what kind of BS she might be spouting.... because I know its aim is to get some reaction out of, or affecting, me.
So it accomplishes nothing.
Any way to handle this?
Leaving the forum really didn't sit well with me. Running away really isn't my thing.

Disclaimer for non-NTs: NO I am not talking about Scarlet.Black. I was appalled when an INFP assumed that she was the source of my problems. She is fantastic, and will never be otherwise.

·
Banned
767 Posts
@Ikusagami Now I'm not sure who you're talking about with this because I'm a newbie who takes shelter mostly in the ENTJ forums--and as such, I don't have specific references to go off of--but if what you say is overtly true, then she violates rule number 1 of the forum rules plain and simple.

"1. Do Not Make Personal Attacks
Posts that serve no purpose other than to flame and attack other users annihilate the quality of discussion."

What punishment the mods do is up to them. Personally, I'd warn her, and if she doesn't really alter anything, ban. If she's already been warned, skip to ban. Me, though, unless she was threatening my personal safety, I'd just ignore her. Not by using the Ignore feature, but just know your battles. Don't humor her with a response. There comes a point where you gotta know when you got to take action--or no action in this case--yourself to alleviate the issue. Now if you've already tried that for say a month and the person in question is still at it, yeah, let's see some mod action.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Any way to handle this?
Time. Your issue is not a practical one, for it would otherwise be very easy to ignore a stranger, it is emotional. No rule says anything about banning someone for intending something, and since stalking and ambiguous baiting (ambiguous from an outsider's perspective) cannot be penalized. You can only wait on it till it doesn't matter anymore, and you can also expect her to give up on it. Just exercise some restraint on reading her posts, even though they may refer to you, and you're fine.

·
mafia mod
13,261 Posts
Okay, this is the kind of question one asks a mod, but given mods have vastly different temperaments, typist predispositions, and personal interpretations of rules, I'd need a strong Te user to even recommend what mod would be right to approach with such an issue.
Anyway, said issue is unsurprising, given the pattern spanning the last two months, and my other recent drunken (again) posts.

Question: can people who post entirely for the sake of stalking be banned?

Pretty sure all the regular NTs know who I'm talking about, given that after leaving in a blaze of ignominy (with outright lies about the situation, which made me look as bad as she wants to) she only re-emerges immediately after I post about ending a toxic relationship, despite stating no less than two dozen times she'd never return. I couldn't even mention something said by MBP or Handsome Jack without her interrupting, "I don't care about that stupid fucking forum or anybody on it."
Yet every time I get away from her, there she is.
And she's manipulative enough she always manages to get to me (she closes million dollar deals for a living; I'm not trained to handle that level of BS). She has outright admitted her posts on the forum are aimed at baiting me, even if looking at her post history didn't make this obvious (all community posts before leaving, only ENTJ posts since, most of which are aimed at me, or contradictions of things she's said to me to incite me to confrontation wherein she can play the victim and top from the bottom until she manipulates me back into place).

I ask this because I've set her to ignore, and then see how pathetic this feature really is, as it still shows that posts from somebody who admits all their posts are aimed at baiting or manipulating me are there, but simply doesn't display the content. Naturally, I'm going to be curious what kind of BS she might be spouting.... because I know its aim is to get some reaction out of, or affecting, me.
So it accomplishes nothing.
Any way to handle this?
Leaving the forum really didn't sit well with me. Running away really isn't my thing.

Disclaimer for non-NTs: NO I am not talking about Scarlet.Black. I was appalled when an INFP assumed that she was the source of my problems. She is fantastic, and will never be otherwise.
short answer as a former green mod/global mod and admin on this forum; they can, perhaps not immediate but persistent trolls can end up with the ban hammer. Best to report the posts or talk to the staff in private or public complaints.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
ENTJ Type 5... Is it even a thing ?!
I can only picture an ENTJ in depression (Or a mistyped 1). I might be biased though.
Both my ENTJ friends develop Type 5 or 4 bad tendencies whenever they feel bad. "I'm a empty shell nothing matters retreat retreat isolation isolation need 2 underst4nd" "I'm a haunted artist and nobody understand the beauty of my art and ideaaaaaaals. Whyyyyyyyyy."

Yeah I hate having to deal with angsty ISFPs too.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Question: Last fall semester I failed my math class. My prof was an ENTJ. Put all sorts of hopes in me and everyone in class. I did my best. I failed. He even gave me like up to a fourth chance and it didn't work.

I haven't seen him since.

There's something I have of his I forgot he lent me and now I have no choice but to go see him again when this semester starts to give it back and I'm scared of facing him. I know he's prolly like super disappointed in me.

:unsure:

3001 - 3020 of 4286 Posts