Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 4317 Posts

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What do you think of selfishness?

Do you consider yourself selfish, and how does it benefit you, or not?
I'm generous with my time if someone genuinely needs my help. I helped found a mentoring program for university students. Share my knowledge and time freely.

Financially? Maybe a bit. I earned that. Go out and earn your own. I tend to donate to causes, not individuals.

Where I admittedly am selfish is in my personal life. I don't answer my phone in the evenings or weekends. Right now, I'm with Hubby, that's likely way more important to me than whatever you've got going on right now. Leave me a message, I'll get back to you when it's convenient. I also don't accept social invitations out of politeness (social norms .... **shudders**) Have a good time at your scrapbooking party. Thank you, but I'll be somewhere else. My time is important to me.

Reactions: qyune and Lesuhlee

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
:laughing:

Could you answer my other question, see *edit* xD
the black or white one?

utterly no clue. you could be purple for all I know. just your country of origin doesn't give me nearly enough info to make that call.

next question

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Do you have any interesting "interview" questions you ask when you want to know a lot about someone - quickly?
What has prevented you from being where you want to be in your most recent careers?

I am seeking someone with initiative. Someone who takes charge, and can get the job done. In what specific directions would you like to see this position go, should you be hired?

·
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do you have any interesting "interview" questions you ask when you want to know a lot about someone - quickly?
Do you mean socially?

What kind of car do you drive?

Reactions: Old Intern

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
What has prevented you from being where you want to be in your most recent careers?

I am seeking someone with initiative. Someone who takes charge, and can get the job done. In what specific directions would you like to see this position go, should you be hired?
More like casually interviewing people I might like to work for or with. This might be in a network setting so I might have to wait for appropriate timing or a way to sound not too serious.

I'm thinking about things like management style, how realistic, how open or assertive. if I'm dealing with an INTJ have they reached a point of delegating in ways that work for their company or is this still a rough spot for them? If I'm working with a woman, does she have issues or awkwardness with how she handles authority. Am I dealing with someone who is more harsh inside than how they sound or the other way around. Am I dealing with people who wing it and then adjust, or strict SJ-ish guidelines. Am I dealing with someone who does what they do mostly for security and covering their ass. What is this persons ideal client? How much do they want employees to seem like they have the same values in a gusshy (or parrot) sense . . . . . . things like that.

I'm not trying to make this emotional - but it may seem overly Ti to ENTJ's
I think the bottom line is that my best growth opportunity might not be where the best security is offered, but I can't afford to be too care-free either. So I want to asses competence and corporate culture of smaller less proven organizations, or companies ready to make major changes. Research will be part of it but face to face mixers will likely be involved too.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
What do you think of selfishness?

Do you consider yourself selfish, and how does it benefit you, or not?
Selfishness is the root cause of most things I consider "evil"- people not looking beyond themselves/people they relate to, not thinking of the greater good, not taking into account the bigger picture, etc. I can be selfish just like everyone else, obviously, but I try not to be, and that helps me because people trust me and I don't hate myself. Sometimes being selfish helps me in establishing boundaries- I tend to want to help people, and sometimes I overreach myself. In that sense, being selfish is beneficial to me.

Do you see life as a game you are winning? Explain why.
Sure?

Dunno if there's any thread about this, but how to spot an ENTJ 'irl' ? :kitteh:
"When I walk in the room, this is what I see, everyone stops and starin' at me... I'M SEXY AND I KNOW IT."

If you walk into the room and feel like you got punched in the face by awesome, congrats, you've met an ENTJ.
Actually though, most ENTJs are easily recognizable just because of the sheer force of our personality. As we grow older we learn to tone it down, but we're still pretty easy to spot- if we're somewhere we're comfortable and think there's value to engaging, we're loud, often the center of attention, and intense. We bring a lot of energy, but we don't have the flightiness of the EPs.

"Are people inherently good or inherently bad?"

·
Banned
1,618 Posts
Selfishness is the root cause of most things I consider "evil"- people not looking beyond themselves/people they relate to, not thinking of the greater good, not taking into account the bigger picture, etc. I can be selfish just like everyone else, obviously, but I try not to be, and that helps me because people trust me and I don't hate myself. Sometimes being selfish helps me in establishing boundaries- I tend to want to help people, and sometimes I overreach myself. In that sense, being selfish is beneficial to me.

Sure?

"When I walk in the room, this is what I see, everyone stops and starin' at me... I'M SEXY AND I KNOW IT."

If you walk into the room and feel like you got punched in the face by awesome, congrats, you've met an ENTJ.
Actually though, most ENTJs are easily recognizable just because of the sheer force of our personality. As we grow older we learn to tone it down, but we're still pretty easy to spot- if we're somewhere we're comfortable and think there's value to engaging, we're loud, often the center of attention, and intense. We bring a lot of energy, but we don't have the flightiness of the EPs.
My sister is actually ENTJ so I kinda have experience with that type..just wonder if there is huge difference between male/female ENTJ :p It's kinda obvious maybe haha

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
My boss is an INTJ, so dealing with her belongs on a different thread. My boss's boss, is an ENTJ. I have a corporate job and the work I do is a step above clerical, but barely. I graduated 3 years ago, bounced around some contract jobs and I'm 26. My weekly production is at 140% of what's required while most people are 90-110%. I'm going into my third month and I've been consistent, except one day where I was an hour & half late after sleeping through the alarm. I knew better than to make excuses and owned up to it, and it seems to have passed (happened last week).

With this in mind, my ambition is to get involved with data analysis. The ENTJ does some of the spreadsheets that deal with the numbers and I've independently calculated them on my own and build a database from scratch. My actual data is not useful, since they already have it, but I did this to show that I am capable of working with data and I have natural analytic abilities, as I've typed up a report of what I've done. I told the INTJ about this, but she wasn't impressed because she copy and pastes an SQL entry to generate the data, which is something I'm learning. Also, if anyone is wondering how an ENTP can follow through with all of this, I take adderall.

Questions:
1. Because the INTJ was not impressed, could I risk going over her head to show the ENTJ what I've done?
2. If yes, how long should I wait to present?
3. How much could my tardy be held against me?

Psychologically, the ENTJ appears as a 8w7. At the very least she commands with enthusiasm. She's also 32 years old, so she might not be biased against younger employees. The INTJ is 1w9. I'm still learning to recognize Enneagram which is why I only listed the main type + wing.

Hopefully this structured and direct post also demonstrates that I am capable of addressing an ENTJ on their terms, but I might be out of my mind. After all, I didn't start my own "special snowflake" thread.

·
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My boss is an INTJ, so dealing with her belongs on a different thread. My boss's boss, is an ENTJ. I have a corporate job and the work I do is a step above clerical, but barely. I graduated 3 years ago, bounced around some contract jobs and I'm 26. My weekly production is at 140% of what's required while most people are 90-110%. I'm going into my third month and I've been consistent, except one day where I was an hour & half late after sleeping through the alarm. I knew better than to make excuses and owned up to it, and it seems to have passed (happened last week).

With this in mind, my ambition is to get involved with data analysis. The ENTJ does some of the spreadsheets that deal with the numbers and I've independently calculated them on my own and build a database from scratch. My actual data is not useful, since they already have it, but I did this to show that I am capable of working with data and I have natural analytic abilities, as I've typed up a report of what I've done. I told the INTJ about this, but she wasn't impressed because she copy and pastes an SQL entry to generate the data, which is something I'm learning. Also, if anyone is wondering how an ENTP can follow through with all of this, I take adderall.

Questions:
1. Because the INTJ was not impressed, could I risk going over her head to show the ENTJ what I've done?
2. If yes, how long should I wait to present?
3. How much could my tardy be held against me?

Psychologically, the ENTJ appears as a 8w7. At the very least she commands with enthusiasm. She's also 32 years old, so she might not be biased against younger employees. The INTJ is 1w9. I'm still learning to recognize Enneagram which is why I only listed the main type + wing.

Hopefully this structured and direct post also demonstrates that I am capable of addressing an ENTJ on their terms, but I might be out of my mind. After all, I didn't start my own "special snowflake" thread.
Nicely done. And, we bear some of the burden for some of the special snowflake threads. We should have had a thread like this a long time ago.

I think this is less about personality types and more about new employee vs management.

1. "Going into your third month" implies a work history of about 8 weeks. Most businesses have a probationary period, usually about 90 days. Keep in mind that your probationary period is sort of an audition. You have to prove you can do the job you said you could when they hired you. During this time you are also being evaluated for other items like appearance, attendance, working well with others, and so on. They're not only looking for someone who can do the job, but someone who is a good fit, and works well with the rest of the department. It's not the time to start jockeying for position, or trying to circumvent your boss (the INTJ).

2. Your production rate is very impressive. It will get you noticed. I would wait before trying to push for more responsibility. Do what you were hired to do. Going to your boss and saying, "Look, I can do this, instead." this early in the game - You're shooting yourself in the foot. It's saying "I don't really want to do this, I'd rather do that." (then why should they keep you? It's to their advantange to fill the postion with someone who wants do the job.)

Do what they hired you do to, and do it really well. That's what will get you more responsibilities and opportunities in the future. Going to your boss's boss looks arrogant. Don't do that. If an opportunity arises to discuss your future goals, for example if the ENTJ asks if you are enjoying the work, it's fine to say "Yes, but I have and interest in [whatever] and hope to one day [whatever]. Duly noted.

3. It depends what your company policy is. Managers usually have some leeway with this sort of thing. It draws negative attention, but you can recover from it. It might carry more negative weight because you are a new employee.

Personally, I wouldn't be too troubled by one isolated tardy. An hour and half is a bit excessive, though. Everyone gets one free major malfunction before I would take action. It happens. You could be tardy on day one or three years in. When is random. It's not necessarily a reflection of your ability to be responsible and show up on time. Just don't do it again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you keep your computer desktop minimal? (I keep the recycle bin in the top left corner and nothing else.)

How about organizing the rest of your computer?

How about physical work space? Clean? Neat?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Do you keep your computer desktop minimal? (I keep the recycle bin in the top left corner and nothing else.)
Yes. I have a recycling bin, and 3 - 4 of my most frequently used software programs.

All neatly organized in labelled folders. Photos are sorted by year and event. Songs are sorted alphabetically by artist. Movies are sorted separate from TV shows.

Always neat. Everything has it's place and within reachable distance. Items I use the most are closer.

Reactions: qyune

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes. I have a recycling bin, and 3 - 4 of my most frequently used software programs.

All neatly organized in labelled folders. Photos are sorted by year and event. Songs are sorted alphabetically by artist. Movies are sorted separate from TV shows.

Always neat. Everything has it's place and within reachable distance. Items I use the most are closer.
I had a hunch.

I once knew a guy whose hard drive had no folders, not one, just every file in one big long unorganized list. It made me feel ill.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I had a hunch.

I once knew a guy whose hard drive had no folders, not one, just every file in one big long unorganized list. It made me feel ill.
:angry:

Reactions: qyune
21 - 40 of 4317 Posts